12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default This is America -- when ordering speak English

This is America -- when ordering speak English

Show your support for this guy! http://www.genosteaks.com

Eatery's English-only sign raises ire By Jon Hurdle
    Fri Jun 9, 9:32 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A sign in a landmark Philadelphia restaurant asking customers to order in English is sparking controversy in the metropolis known as the "City of Brotherly Love."

The owner of Geno's Steaks said on Thursday that the sign, "This is America -- when ordering speak English," is intended to encourage immigrants to learn the language and assimilate into U.S. society, but one Latino activist said it's racist.

The controversy comes amid a national debate over immigration in the United States. The U.S. Senate passed an immigration bill last month that includes a provision which would make English the national language.

"They should be glad that I put the sign up. I'm trying to help them to speak English," said Joey Vento, 66, whose grandparents moved to the United States from Italy. "Without the English language, they are going to have a lot of problems in this country.

"There is nobody who can say they are turned down because of the language," he added. "They can point if they want to."

The sign, which Vento posted at his cheese steak restaurant about six months ago and says he has no intention of removing, has made some people angry.

Roberto Santiago, executive director of Philadelphia's Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations, said he was "appalled" by the policy.

"I think what's coming out of his mouth is racist," said Santiago. "He is saying, 'I don't like these brown faces in my community and I will do everything I can to get them out of there.'"

Santiago said he has urged Latinos to boycott Geno's Steaks, a fixture in South Philadelphia's Little Italy neighborhood which has seen an influx of Hispanic immigrants in recent years.

Vento denied that anyone would be refused service if they ordered one of the sliced beef-and-cheese sandwiches, a famed bit of cuisine in the Quaker-founded "City of Brotherly Love," in a language other than English.

Tony Luke, co-owner of competitor Tony Luke's restaurant, said Vento has taken "too much of a hard line" with non-English-speaking customers.

"You can't be expected to learn English in a week," he said. "We will be a lot more tolerant than that."

ONE COUNTRY!
    ONE LANGUAGE!
    ONE FLAG!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    This is America -- when ordering speak English

Show your support for this guy! http://www.genosteaks.com

Eatery's English-only sign raises ire By Jon Hurdle
    Fri Jun 9, 9:32 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A sign in a landmark Philadelphia restaurant asking customers to order in English is sparking controversy in the metropolis known as the "City of Brotherly Love."

The owner of Geno's Steaks said on Thursday that the sign, "This is America -- when ordering speak English," is intended to encourage immigrants to learn the language and assimilate into U.S. society, but one Latino activist said it's racist.

The controversy comes amid a national debate over immigration in the United States. The U.S. Senate passed an immigration bill last month that includes a provision which would make English the national language.

"They should be glad that I put the sign up. I'm trying to help them to speak English," said Joey Vento, 66, whose grandparents moved to the United States from Italy. "Without the English language, they are going to have a lot of problems in this country.

"There is nobody who can say they are turned down because of the language," he added. "They can point if they want to."

The sign, which Vento posted at his cheese steak restaurant about six months ago and says he has no intention of removing, has made some people angry.

Roberto Santiago, executive director of Philadelphia's Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations, said he was "appalled" by the policy.

"I think what's coming out of his mouth is racist," said Santiago. "He is saying, 'I don't like these brown faces in my community and I will do everything I can to get them out of there.'"

Santiago said he has urged Latinos to boycott Geno's Steaks, a fixture in South Philadelphia's Little Italy neighborhood which has seen an influx of Hispanic immigrants in recent years.

Vento denied that anyone would be refused service if they ordered one of the sliced beef-and-cheese sandwiches, a famed bit of cuisine in the Quaker-founded "City of Brotherly Love," in a language other than English.

Tony Luke, co-owner of competitor Tony Luke's restaurant, said Vento has taken "too much of a hard line" with non-English-speaking customers.

"You can't be expected to learn English in a week," he said. "We will be a lot more tolerant than that."

ONE COUNTRY!
    ONE LANGUAGE!
    ONE FLAG!

so how do you order in a mexican restaurant in Philly?
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    Good job, Mr. Santiago. I love when people put words into other people's mouths.

I am all for tolerance and I like seeing two or three languages on products and signs. Isn't it odd, though, that there are American-made products one can buy at the grocery or department store that have the Spanish ingredients and instructions printed the same size as, and brighter than the English? There was even a piece of machinery at my old job that was printed in Spanish first, then below, smaller, in English. Yes, it was made and used in the USA only.

If I was travelling to a country, let alone MOVING there, I would learn enough of the language to get around. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to speak the language of the nation in which they live.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That sign wouldn't have passed our anti-discrimination laws.

I agree with what the guys is saying but couldn't he just have waited until someone ordered in another language and then asked them to order in english....
    Last edited by Brian Gibson; 06.13.06 at 08:57 PM.
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I love it! Saw this on CNN yesterday. You are in America..... learn some damn English!
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

i agree...you wanna live here, speak the language or get the fuck out!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    i agree...you wanna live here, speak the language or get the fuck out!
    ..Sisca, you forgot to encourage breeding with cousins to dumb down the gene pool

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I have a story...

My brother and I were down in Vallejo, CA near Infineon Raceway aka Sears Point... My brother was there racing and I was along for the ride. We were staying at the Best Western and decided to venture to Burger King which was at the end of the parking lot. We get there and everyone there was Mexican. They ended up having to get the dishwasher out of the back to translate so we could order our shit... Now where I come from, the last person who would know English would be the dishwasher... I couldn't freakin' believe it! I think California should've been called New Mexico, it would've fit better!!!

This raises a question...

So when people in Philly order their steaks "wit"... What the fuck is "wit"? I guess they need to be more specific and say if someone wants to order there, they gotta learn Phillyonics...
    Last edited by fast98dodge; 06.13.06 at 10:07 PM.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well not to start a controversy or stir the pot, I seem to recall that all Native Americans were not allowed to speak their own language or else they were punished, way back when of course. This resulted in an almost total loss of the various Native languages by the upcoming generations but it's slowly returning. But English is the primary language for all Native Americans now. If only the early Americans coulda bent over backwards to accomodate the Native Americans in preserving their own languages like they are with the Hispanics. Nothing was changed to assimilate the Natives into the dominant society.

Now it's like if you speak English you're a minority with all of the Spanish that's out there. I agree with TP, learn some English and as Sisca said, or get the eff out!! And they want all of these considerations and rights and what-not???? I don't get it. They should consider themselves damn lucky they're not Native Americans, Hispanics get everything translated for them. English s/b made the official language for the USA. I thought it already was but guess it's not?

When I call the phone company their automated system tells you everything first in Spanish - which I don't wanna hear - before they tell you anything in English. What's THAT about??
    Sorry, this is a touchy subject for me so I'll shut up now.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    When I call the phone company their automated system tells you everything first in Spanish - which I don't wanna hear - before they tell you anything in English. What's THAT about??
    See, that's what I don't understand, other languages being FIRST. English is spoken by 82.1% of the population. Last time I checked, 82.1% falls in the category of "majority". I'm not mad about other languages being present, but I don't think they should override English.

And you're right, there is no federal official language. If instituted now, I would imagine that the federal languages would be both English and Spanish.
    Last edited by kowski; 06.14.06 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Damn punctuation ran off

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

There definitely needs to be a federal mandate to make English the official language. It's getting out of hand. Hispanics are slowly but surely becoming the majority, if things continue as they are.

Here in America, it's English.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The big problem is getting Americans to speak proper English!
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    I love it! Saw this on CNN yesterday. You are in America..... learn some damn English!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

This is in my neck of the woods. This guy who owns the place is a tremendous guy. Sure, he's loaded,b ut he's earned every penny..he is generous to a fault. He even spends time each yr, staying open, making sandwiches, etc and then gives ALL the proceeds to the Sports teams charities. You gotta remember, in one day, this guy can easily clear $25 grand..

And to make sure everyone gets this accurately, the sign says to please order in english and that mgmt reserves the right to refuse service to anyone...

I take my hat off to the guy, and he's the right man to be making the statement as well.

If you expect Americans to understand you, then speak english. If you dont speak it and they dont understand you, that's YOUR problem to solve, not ours.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Tony Luke is right, and his sammiches are MUCH better than Geno's.

That's all I have to add on the subject.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook