Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Duncan JB Not Cutting It. Tone Zone?

I like it except for the slightly wolfy sound. Must be a little too much midrange inherent to the pickup. I know the Tone Zone is popular. Is this more balanced? I appreciate the opinions.

Chris

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I had a JB in an old guitar of mine and had the same problem. I went to a SD custom/custom and it was night and day.

I've never really had much luck with Dimarzio p/u's they seem too high output and sterile sounding to me. The one Dimarzio p/u that I like and use is called a Breed. It's a p/u designed for Steve Via for when he wants a more classic tone. The fact that Via had it designed almost scared me off because I'm not a fan of super saturated and processed tones. I was preasantly surprised with the breed.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit
    I had a JB in an old guitar of mine and had the same problem. I went to a SD custom/custom and it was night and day.

I've never really had much luck with Dimarzio p/u's they seem too high output and sterile sounding to me. The one Dimarzio p/u that I like and use is called a Breed. It's a p/u designed for Steve Via for when he wants a more classic tone. The fact that Via had it designed almost scared me off because I'm not a fan of super saturated and processed tones. I was preasantly surprised with the breed.
    Thanks. I REALLY like the pickup in my OLP MM1, but you just can't find them on ebay. I'm thinking of one of the from Mitchell over at Meanstreetguitars. Maybe the Intruder® TB-77 or maybe the ceramic 14k model.

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=33

Thanks again
    Chris
    Last edited by nast2112; 06.11.06 at 06:40 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112
    I like it except for the slightly wolfy sound. Must be a little too much midrange inherent to the pickup. I know the Tone Zone is popular. Is this more balanced? I appreciate the opinions.

Chris
    The Tone Zone is a high output bucker with loads of bass and lower mids to my ears. Powerful bucker, but don't know if I'd call it balanced. Great for bright axes tho IMO.

The most balanced bucker I've ever played is the A3 double screw Duncan hybrid I made a while back. Tight bass from the Custom coil and sweet highs from the AII coil. The A3 mag has more lower mids than an A5, but doesn't lose as much bass as an A2. Sweet bucker.

I'd try an A3 in your JB 1st. The reduction in bass response and increase in lower mids might help with that wolfy sound you're talking about. An A8 mag will increase lower mids while leaving bass and treble the same. Could try that also. Should always try mags swaps first if you like the buckers fundamental tone, but just want to tweak it a bit.

I have a Breed in my maple strat. Awesome high output bucker! My fave of all the power buckers I've tried. I heard it's basically a Tone Zone with double hex screws and without the dual resonance coils. Slap one in, radius all the poles and it's like your axe went from bruce banner to the hulk!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the breadman
    I have a Breed in my maple strat. Awesome high output bucker! My fave of all the power buckers I've tried. I heard it's basically a Tone Zone with double hex screws and without the dual resonance coils. Slap one in, radius all the poles and it's like your axe went from bruce banner to the hulk!
    ...and the cool thing that I've found is that it cleans up really well. I has all the balls anyone would need but it's not a dirty/muddy/sterile sounding p/u. It really responds to your picking attack.

It took me a while to get used to how wide the frequency response is on it. Before the Breed I was using a dipped Seth Lover and I may go back to one. Our band is starting to gear up for some shows so I'll see how the breed does.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit
    ...and the cool thing that I've found is that it cleans up really well. I has all the balls anyone would need but it's not a dirty/muddy/sterile sounding p/u. It really responds to your picking attack.

It took me a while to get used to how wide the frequency response is on it. Before the Breed I was using a dipped Seth Lover and I may go back to one. Our band is starting to gear up for some shows so I'll see how the breed does.

Damn, that's quite a change from a seth to a breed! I did kinda the same, goin from a 59 to a breed. But ya, I found the exactly the same thing. Not muddy at all, and I run mine with a 250k pot. Just a huge, clear, POWERFUL sound! In this particular axe I didn't want as much paf twang as the 59, but I didn't want mud city either. The breed worked out great.

If you don't already, might want to try fretting each string at its highest fret. Then adjust that strings two poles until there is 1/16" between the top of the pole and bottom of the string. When all the poles are radiused like this, you'll be amazed at the added balls and depth this gives the tone.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112
    I like it except for the slightly wolfy sound. Must be a little too much midrange inherent to the pickup. I know the Tone Zone is popular. Is this more balanced?
    I would think the upper-midrange spike in the JB is what's causing you issues. It's annoying as sh*t unless you dial-it out, or use different pots.

I've never played a Breed, but I've heard it's a less flubby/farty Tone Zone, as the others have insinuated.

Have you considered an Air Zone, or a Virtual Hot PAF?