Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default Tough love & Reaching out to Al

If Ed has a drinking problem, and Only Ed knows for sure. After all, who else has the right to make that determination. But for sake of argument, let's say he does.
    Alcohol changes people, some for the better, The life of the party people (at times can be more fun) but there are also those people who arn't better whose behaviour becomes increasingly dark and self serving. When you know these people for years and you know that has never been there personality previously.
    Tough love becomes a viable option.

Granted what I am going to say is self serving (as one of the biggest Van Halen fans)

I propose for Al to at least think of teliing ED the truth. Tell Ed unless he sobers up and gets help for drinking and emotional issues(if those apply) that Al goes out on the road and joins The Other Half. No Van Halen name used and not to make boat loads of money. But to do this for fun, like the old days

Fans of both eras of the fans could get behind this, because a healthy Ed could mean the ultimate reunion both versions of the band getting together for the ultimate reunion. It starts with Al and goes on from there. I am sure Sam and Mike and Al are all willing to do the reunion. I am equally sure Dave wants to be part of this if the fans can make it happen. Ed needs to want to do this as well. That starts with Al getting tough with his brother.

Should Al?

Do fans want to see Al join The Other Half?

Do fans want to see both eras of the band reunite for a summer 07 tour?

Or has Van Halen missed it's opportunity and do the fans want to just remember Van Halen the way they were?

Again just my opinion here and like assholes everyone has one.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

A Van Halen tour with both Dave and Sam together?

That could be epic if everyone was on the same page. No competition, no egos (I know, I know but a guy can dream) but more of a celebration of the history of the band. Sets of each era, maybe a mini set of cover tunes with Sam and Dave together at the end?

FUCK YEAH I'd be there.

While we wait for the Red Sea to part , Al joining "the Other Half"? Hell yeah, that would be great, but does the band's name leave a bad taste in Al's mouth or does he take it with a grain of salt? That could be an issue no? I'd hope he would take it in stride and head out on the road and have some fun playing music.

That's what it's all about anyway ain't it?

Last Online

02.02.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right now... I think we can all agree that the only missing piece here is Eddie.

Dave seems interested: "both parties are talking"
    Sam seems interested: "I still talk to Al... wish he was my brother"
    Mike seems attached to Sam at the hip, Al seems attached to Ed at the hip

In my opinion, should Ed recover from whatever he's going through, a two-singer reunion may be viable... a one-singer reunion almost definite.

I've said this before though, that the band really owes us nothing. They've given us great music for years and now they're getting old. I refuse to expect anything, but I don't think this band is done yet, and I would still like to see something.

I don't think Al should join The Other Half... simply for the fact that Ed probably needs support.

I think that the best thing Van Halen could do is, in the next two or three years, reunite with Sam AND Dave, give a definite Farewell Tour, and be done with it. They'd be able to cut back ticket prices to half of what they were in 2004 (this time sell Golden Wing tickets?), attract lots of people... I think it'd be great for the band, the legacy and the fans.

Again... it all rests on Eddie

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Imagine a tour with both Sam and DLR.....where do I get my tickets.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Imagine a tour with both Sam and DLR.....where do I get my tickets.
    In 2002.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'd say that really shoots straight home in that post. That's a fresh perspective to chew on I'd say. When you think of it that way, Al really does hold the psychological key that could unlock all the doors. ....I agree fully. At this point, with as whacky as Ed as become, tough love from the only person that matters anymore (it seems) in life is the only thing that would do the trick here. Do the wake up/moment of clarity thing. Al joining up on that tour would be a huge eye popping experience for Eddie that says "hey, you're wallowing around in your own shit and vomit too much and it's no way to live. Let's have fun again".

Now- The question then becomes, would it be too much for him to handle if Al were to do that? Would Ed go the opposite direction and just give up on life completely and become crushed with such a slap in the face or would he embrace the message and get his shit together? I'd say a brother would have a tough moral question to wrestle with on that one. I know I'd struggle with it, but in the end I think I'd see that it had to be made either way. I'd probably lean towards the tough love even though it'd be risky and an emotional roller coaster for a while, I'd have to nut up and do it for the sake of Ed. Damn...the guy has had such a fantastic life you'd think so far. What kind of end is he looking at as a tribute to such a fantastic career/life. The end just doesn't glorify the beginnings and the booze is to blame. Fuck that shit man. Ed deserves more and so does everybody that has helped to make Van Halen what it is.

I'd vote for tough love and get this train rolling again in a big way. As it stands right now, a mighty name is targeted for a dismal end like a cigarrette in an ashtray. It doesn't have to be that way.

Good post elargo.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ellargogusano

I propose for Al to at least think of teliing ED the truth. Tell Ed unless he sobers up and gets help for drinking and emotional issues(if those apply) that Al goes out on the road and joins The Other Half. No Van Halen name used and not to make boat loads of money. But to do this for fun, like the old days

Fans of both eras of the fans could get behind this, because a healthy Ed could mean the ultimate reunion both versions of the band getting together for the ultimate reunion. It starts with Al and goes on from there. I am sure Sam and Mike and Al are all willing to do the reunion. I am equally sure Dave wants to be part of this if the fans can make it happen. Ed needs to want to do this as well. That starts with Al getting tough with his brother.

Should Al?

Or has Van Halen missed it's opportunity and do the fans want to just remember Van Halen the way they were?
    The opportunity is always there, as long as everybody's still alive and kicking. That's why we keep blabbing on and on about it here, LOL. We hope something will manifest despite all the squabbles and rumors and money/royalty issues and internal band conflicts.

Al joining The Other Half? Cool.

'07 Dave/Sam tour? No brainer.

Any sort of Van Halen outing for the fans is a good thing.

However, it would surprise me that Al hasn't yet tried the tough love gig with his little brother. Hasn't Al been sober for over a decade now? You'd think he'd have tried some level of intervention, at least, on a family level, given his own skills at battling addictions. In the end, it's going to be Ed's decision...but what exactly will it take for him to look in the dark side of the mirror? You'd think Val and Wolfie might have had some influence in this area as well.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    .but what exactly will it take for him to look in the dark side of the mirror? You'd think Val and Wolfie might have had some influence in this area as well.
    Not in the same way as a Brother, especially these two.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ellargogusano
    If Ed has a drinking problem, and Only Ed knows for sure. After all, who else has the right to make that determination. But for sake of argument, let's say he does.
    Alcohol changes people, some for the better, The life of the party people (at times can be more fun) but there are also those people who arn't better whose behaviour becomes increasingly dark and self serving. When you know these people for years and you know that has never been there personality previously.
    Tough love becomes a viable option.

Granted what I am going to say is self serving (as one of the biggest Van Halen fans)

Should Al?

Again just my opinion here and like assholes everyone has one.

im wondering if sam and mike would ask al to join up...?

if so, i wonder how al feels about doing it?
    This is all well and good, but if al isnt into playing w/ these guys, its a moot point.

I can see al giving ed tough love, but NOT by going out w/ sam and mike to play ed's music. that would not only crush ed emotionally, i think he would have whatever life he has inside extinguished.
    I dont see it happenin this way.

but what do I know?
    How about if all past members of vh, plus wolfie and val do an intervention to ed? forget the music aspect, just get ed together as a person. Then the rest should fall into place--ed loves music, he is just wrestling w/ a demon that's bigger than said love.
    get the demon out of the picture, ed will see his passion again. it's in his heart and it never goes away, it just gets blocked by his demon.

An intervention is the only way i camn think of ed getting healthy again.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

With all due respect..

We're making alot of assumptions about what Al should say to another family member. None of us have any idea what Al already has or has not already said to Ed. We're also assuming that Al is on board for a reunion, which is may or may not be (I would hope so at least).

The more I think about it, the more I think they should just leave the legacy alone. the '04 tour certainly wasn't any of their best shows, by far. I'd love to see it, but I'd be a bit nervous of what the outcome would be.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

Great idea!

Summer 2007.

I can taste it.

Come on Al, do it for us, do it for VH, and do it for your brother's well being!

SUMMER 2007!!!

MIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have felt for a long time that Al is the key to Van Halen's future. It was Al, after all, who extended the olive branch to Sammy before the 2004 reunion, and he obviously convinced Ed to go along with it. I agree 100% with the concept that Al needs to show some serious "tough love" towards Ed. From what I've been reading,

But would joining the "Other Half" have a positive or negative effect? Seenbad does a good job of raising the possible outcomes, I think, and my gut tells me that it won't work. I see Eddie viewing that as a huge stab in the back by the person in life who has always been there for him. Maybe if Al was able to "sell" it in the right way, Ed could understand. But I'm skeptical.

I support any idea that will give Eddie the kick that he so clearly needs. His brother is the best one to do it, assuming that he hasn't already tried. Regardless of which "era" the fans prefer, we should all be united in wishing Ed the best in his struggle with his demons. In my opinion there are more great things in the future for this band. Mike in particular deserves HUGE props for keeping the heart and soul of the mighty VH alive.

Cool idea, ella.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    Not in the same way as a Brother, especially these two.

A wife usually has more pull than a brother, generally speaking.

But even so, sure, the Dutch boys have a special bond, always have. Again, given Al's road to sobriety, it'd be odd if the subject hadn't been broached, in a direct and 'tough' fashion, especially from the oldest sibling.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

Al should just tell Eddie, hey look, let's get VH cooking again...

It's time.

And let's do it with a BANG.

If Eddie says nah...

Then Al says well....IM going to join the guys

See you when you're ready
    BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street/its about time
    Last Online

09.24.11 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

we were talking about that last night at the show (i work with a band) we said why should al sit around and do nothing unless he wants to that he should join sammy and mike and just play, and tell eddie hey when you are ready you can join in and thats when we will be van halen. but i think al should. oh by the way last night at the show when we went into a van halen song someone threw a pair of eddie van halen sneakers on stage i thought that was awesome.
    van halen is back. "what you think is nothing might be something after all"