1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Fair Warning Meets DLR

I've been meaning to post this for almost two weeks now but been so frickin' busy lately I couldn't get to it until now:

The rest of the guys in Fair Warning got the chance to meet The Diamond One in person a couple weeks ago (DAMN, I wish I coulda been there, but I was definitely represented). The guys took our copies of the faux magazine covers I did for all of us and Dave signed them. It's pretty kewl to know DLR knows who I am...CA-RAZY, MAN!

Anyhoo, here's the story and some GREAT pics as told by Jason (our DLR) himself...enjoy... :

The Day I Met David Lee Roth

First, some background.

This is me:

This is my close pal Jim:

We've been friends and on again/off again bandmates since 1986.

This is our mutual friend Matty:

I met Matty at Jim's wedding. Upon discovering that we were all huge Van Halen fans, we sort of dared each other into starting a Van Halen tribute show. We called it Fair Warning. Jim became Alex Van Halen, Matty took on the role of bassist Michael Anthony. I had the enormous shoes of David Lee Roth to fill. You can see more here and here. Since 1999 we've managed to play a few dozen shows, despite various weddings, births, interim guest band-mates, relocations, job pressures, family emergencies, and the like.
    Last edited by sixstring; 06.08.06 at 10:00 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default ...cont...

Here's me and Jim in action:

On Thursday, May 25 - the day after my birthday - Jim called to say he had some interesting news. His wife (Amy) had a co-worker who used to work for WTVF in Nashville. She got a heads up that David Lee Roth was going to be at the station on "Talk of the Town" promoting "Strumming with the Devil," a new CD of bluegrass versions of Van Halen songs - on which DLR hisself sang on two of the tracks. Would I fly to Nashville on the off chance that we could finagle a spot backstage? Hells yeah.

So last Monday evening I flew out to scenic Nash-Vegas, and I brought my trusty Fair Warning scrapbook (courtesy of Yvonne):

When we got to the studio we were informed by the receptionist that DLR had gotten there about 2 minutes before we did. And she made him sign in at the reception desk! (The funny thing about the receptionist was that she seemed positively breathless that Ben Jones, AKA "Cooter" from the Dukes of Hazzard TV series was also there. I do not believe that she asked Mr. Jones to sign in.)

Jim and I signed in as well. Jim put "Fair Warning" in the company/organization column next to our names.

We wound around the studio and went backstage on the "Talk of the Town" set. Diamond Dave was standing right there in front of us, taking pictures with a couple of the station's newsbabes and signing autographs. When they were done he looked at me and I asked him "how about one more?" and he said sure! I was wearing a "Dave TV" (the logo from his "Just a Gigalo" video) shirt, and he said "hey, I know that logo!"
    Last edited by sixstring; 06.08.06 at 10:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default ...cont...

Fair Warning's guitar player is not only a brilliant musician but also our resident artist who can do just about anything with photoshop. One of his masterpieces was a set of faux music magazine covers representing each of us:

I showed mine to Dave and told him: this guy is your biggest fan.

Then I showed him the Fair Warning scrapbook. His first question was: Do you guys make any money doing this? I said not much, but people still go crazy over the music (which is true - our audiences occasionally border on hysteric). I asked if he'd sign my magazine cover and he noted that I'd brought a new Sharpie - and said that attention to detail was a good thing (it was actually Jim's Sharpie - which I stole from Jim's kitchen and DLR subsequently stole from me).

We chatted for a few minutes and he said that our Eddie Van Halen looked healthier than the real Eddie Van Halen.

Comparison Matrix

Ours

Theirs

We were standing right by a Doppler display, and someone asked Dave if he wanted to be a weatherman. He said: "the forecast is always the same with me: high tonight, low tomorrow!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default ...cont...

I showed him how Jim's drum set was mocked up to look almost exactly like Alex Van Halen's for the 1981 "WDFA" tour supporting the album "Fair Warning."

Comparison Matrix

Jim

Alex

I was pointing out the similarities and then I said: "oh, you probably remember. You were there."

Amy (Jim's wife) also told Dave that when we had seen him play at Stubb's BBQ in Austin he had pointed right at her and said "you're too young to be at my show!" to which DLR looked down at her pregnant belly and replied "clearly, I was mistaken."

Dave looked at me and said: "better than meeting Jesus, right? Nobody ever started a war in my name!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default ...concluded.

Then we went and sat offstage next to some high school hair models who were booked to be on between Dave and Cooter ("Between Dave and Cooter" is the name of my next album, so help me!). We watched Dave's interview and then took off.

The bottom line on David Lee Roth: he was funny, incredibly gracious, and projected enthusiasm but at the same time had kind of a no BS aura. Totally the kind of guy you would want fronting your band. A Dude among dudes. He deserves every ounce of success he gets - and I'm not just saying that because he signed an autograph. I've been following his career just about as long as I can remember and all I can say is he's the real deal. Here we are proudly displaying our booty:

Next Jim and I went in search of a beer while we killed the hour or so before I had to get to the airport. We came upon a mighty choice that we all must make:

After that I was in a musical mood so I stopped and showed some clown how to play "Purple Haze."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.09.06 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave looked at me and said: "better than meeting Jesus, right? Nobody ever started a war in my name!"[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the Diamond one has never been on this site during a Sam vs. Dave thread. Great story-I am seriously jealous.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning

Obviously, the Diamond one has never been on this site during a Sam vs. Dave thread. Great story-I am seriously jealous.
    I was going to say the same!

Cool story! Dave looked great!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

That's awesome. Dave looks great too.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice! How cool is that to meet someone you have admired for so long. And thanks for including the pics as well.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That is just too damn cool Bill.

Hey, got any MP3's of your VH Material?
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Awesome story and pictures sixstring!
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That was so kewl to see and read!!!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Long live the Diamond One!

btw - I love his weather prediction.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:48 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 990 Posts

Donor

Very cool, bud.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Cool pics!!!

DLR looks fit and ready to go!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo
    Cool pics!!!

DLR looks fit and ready to go!
    Yeah, All he needs is one of Bill's wigs
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!