Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Indonesia Quake

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 1,601 Times in 983 Posts

Donor

Default Indonesia Quake

Nothing in Non about this one? Or did I miss it?

They sure are getting screwed down there. If the planet's pissed off, why is it venting mostly on the other side of the ring of fire, where it's already hard enough? It might even bust open a volcano. Sheesh. Maybe there's some secret voodoo juju hidden in the jungles of Borneo? I'm thinkin' like the Thuggee cult from the Temple of Doom or something.

(Katrina notwithstanding)

West coast Pacific plate is due, ain't it?

BBC:

Indonesia quake toll passes 3,000

More than 3,000 people have been killed and thousands more injured by a strong earthquake that struck the Indonesian island of Java, officials have said.

The quake, measuring 6.2, flattened buildings in a densely-populated area south of the city of Yogyakarta, near the southern coast of Java.

The Indonesian Red Cross estimates some 200,000 people fled their homes after the quake hit early in the morning.

Electricity and communications across the city were also down, police said.

At least 2,900 people have been seriously injured, and many more are still thought to be trapped under rubble and collapsed buildings.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono called on rescuers to work around the clock, as he visited the area with a team of Cabinet ministers on Saturday.

He has also ordered the military to help evacuate victims.

The Indonesian Red Cross said it had sent rapid response teams to the area, and 21 field hospital units were working at full capacity.

The United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan said a UN disaster response team was ready to help with humanitarian relief, the AFP news agency reported.

Among the many countries promising aid are Malaysia, Japan, Russia and the European Union.

The effects of the quake closed Yogyakarta's airport. Local media said the runway had cracked and part of a roof had caved in.

Yogyakarta is near the Mount Merapi volcano, which threatened to erupt earlier this month, forcing thousands of people to be evacuated.

The quake left the dazed and injured scattered in the streets

Experts were divided over whether the quake would affect Merapi, but there are reports of heightened activity at the volcano. There was an eruption soon after the quake which sent debris some 3.5km (2 miles) down its western side.

Officials said that although the area affected was coastal there was no tsunami resulting from the quake.

The quake hit at 0554 local time (2253 GMT Friday), around 25km (15 miles) south of the city of Yogyakarta, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.

Yogyakarta, Indonesia's ancient royal capital and one of its biggest cities, is about 440km (275 miles) south-east of the capital, Jakarta.

"The earthquake was felt to be massive - larger than the locals here say they've felt in their lives," said Brook Weisman-Ross, regional disaster co-ordinator for Plan International children's charity in Java.

But a wide swathe south of the city, in the Bantul and Kulonprogo regions, appears to be the worst hit.

The BBC's Orlando Guzman in Yogyakarta says every other house on the main road south of the city is either flattened or seriously damaged.

Another correspondent in the area, Andrew Harding, says there are a number of dead bodies by the side of the road.

A government official said nearly two thirds of the deaths caused by the earthquake were in Bantul, the Associated Press reported.

Local radio said there were not enough doctors to cope with the numbers of injured.

DEADLY RECENT QUAKES
    2005 Muzaffarabad, Kashmir - kills more than 73,000
    2004 Asian tsunami, triggered by undersea quake - kills at least 200,000
    2003 Bam, Iran - kills 26,271
    2001 Gujarat, India - kills more than 20,000
    1995 Kobe, Japan - kills 6,430
    1999 Izmit and Istanbul, Turkey - kills more than 17,000
    1990 Gilan, Iran - kills around 40,000
    1976 Tangshan, China - kills 255,000 (official)

People were ferried to hospital in lorries and buses, or made the journey on foot, because of a shortage of ambulances.

Aftershocks have forced medical staff to move injured patients outside.

Orlando Guzman says people here, who have been living in fear of a volcanic eruption for weeks, are very much still on edge. Many are still afraid to go back to their houses.

Mosques, churches and hospitals have been housing people who have fled their homes.

"We're still afraid. We don't want to go home," said Hendra, one of hundreds of people who took refuge at Yogyakarta's Marganingsih Catholic Church.

Indonesia is in a zone known as the Pacific "ring of fire", which is prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

The last three in a row have all happened when I travel to this one place. I'm staying home from now on!

God have mercy on those poor folks over there. That area just sucks. It's tough to watch the news when this stuff happens.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Its is very sad.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That Ring of Fire's a mother that's for sure. And unfortunately you're right VS, our side is due for some action but hopefully later instead of sooner.

Those poor people.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    West coast Pacific plate is due, ain't it?
    That's what they keep saying but we're not in any hurry.

A couple of years ago, I was walking around Qualcomm Stadium at a Chargers game. Around the stadium in the upper decks there are half inch or so gaps in the concrete at regular intervals. This is so when a quake hits, the structure will have some "give " to it and remain undamaged (relatively). Gotta have our football. I assume most buildings out here are built in the same manner.
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 05.31.06 at 12:23 AM.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Well over 6000 dead and rising. I saw a bbc report showing people, a week after the quake, getting medical treatment for cuts that had become infected very badly, since they had had no treatment.
    The most shocking scene though, was a reporter standing next to what was a village, absolutely flattened. he said they had been driving for an hour and a half and that everywhere looked just the same. Almost incomprehensible.
    I honestly think that with the upsurge in plate movement and flooding in recent years, the world needs to get up off it's collective asses and organise some kind of effective global relief system. The charities just can't do it and the UN and the like are overwhelmed with everything else.
    I know, pipe dream. But you never know when you might need it too.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

It's a great idea graeme, but with so many people in the world preoccupied with trying to kill each other, who has the time?
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Ya gotta make time for this type of emergency.......Fuck, It's really bad there..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I know it is muffdiver, I wasn't trying to be funny, sadly I was serious. As if the world isn't fucked up enough as it is with all of the war and genocide going on, this earthquake came to those people at the worst possible time. People are still trying to recover from last years natural disasters (Katrina) having to rely on dysfunctional "relief" programs and it seems like global resources needed to cope with these type things are getting stretched pretty thin.
    Last edited by Darkstar; 05.31.06 at 10:37 PM.
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls