Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Heavy Drinking Linked to Healthy Hearts

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197205,00.html

Heavy Drinking Linked to Healthy Hearts
    Friday, May 26, 2006
    By Daniel J. DeNoon

The more women drink -- and the more often men drink -- the healthier their hearts.

The new findings, based on the self-reported drinking habits of some 57,000 middle-aged Danes, confirm a previous report that the lower risk of heart disease in men who drink alcohol depends more on how often they drink than on how much they drink.

And for the first time, the study finds that alcohol's heart benefit for women doesn't depend on how often they drink -- just on how much. Study co-leader Janne Tolstrup, PhD, is a human biologist in the Center for Alcohol Research at Denmark's National Institute for Public Health, Copenhagen.

"For men who drink alcohol, the most healthy way they can do that is to drink frequently, but only in small amounts," Tolstrup tells WebMD. "To get the beneficial effect, you don't have to drink very much."

It's a different story for women.

"What we see with women is a beneficial effect on heart disease, but this seems associated more with amount than with frequency," Tolstrup says. "This is a different message than for men, because the women drinking the most have the lowest risk of heart disease. It seems to be independent of how often they drink."

Tolstrup and colleagues report the findings in the May 27 issue of the British Medical Journal.

Moderate Drinking OK for Most People

Uncorking Bottles and Heart Risk

The findings don't mean that immoderate drinking -- let alone binge drinking or alcoholism -- is good for your overall health. Doctors won't start telling teetotalers to be tosspots.

"What also should be remembered is, here we study heart disease and see a beneficial effect for alcohol drinking," Tolstrup says. "But alcohol has a lot of disadvantageous effects on other diseases, such as breast cancer. There are other health outcomes where drinkers' risk will be increased."

Moreover, the heart benefits of drinking apply only to middle-aged or older people.

"If we had studied young people, we would not see this beneficial effect of drinking -- just the detrimental effect," Tolstrup says. "This is because people in their 20s and 30s are not at risk of heart disease yet. So this drinking benefit is confined to postmenopausal women and men over age 50."

That having been said, the heart benefit is real. Over nearly six years, men who drank every day cut their risk of heart disease by 41 percent. Women who drank at least once a week cut their risk of heart disease by 36 percent or more.

Women who drank the most -- 14 or more drinks per week -- generally had the lowest risk of heart disease: as much as a 73 percent decrease in risk. For this study, a drink was defined as 12 grams of alcohol. A 12-ounce bottle of beer, a 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled liquor has between 11 and 14 grams of alcohol.

Men who drank 21 drinks or more a week, and drank every day, had the lowest risk of heart disease.

Why Alcohol May Help Hearts

A Grain of Salt on Rim of Drinking Benefit

Annie Britton, PhD, worries that people will use the Tolstrup team's findings to justify their dangerous drinking habits. An editorial by Britton, a public health researcher at University College, London, accompanies the Tolstrup study.

"We really need to interpret this with a great deal of caution," Britton tells WebMD. "It's a good study. But people will hear you have to drink every day, and young people will see this as an excuse to increase both the frequency and volume of their drinking."

Britton points out that too many of us drink too much -- a problem that is getting worse, not better. Many diseases, as well as driving deaths, are directly linked to alcohol consumption.

"We need to consider the societal implications of drinking before we encourage people to pour the next glass," she says.

And Britton worries that people who drink every day may become alcohol-dependent without realizing it.

"I think you can drink every day and be moderate. A glass or two of your favorite drink doesn't sound like risky behavior," she says. "But having a few days free from alcohol seems healthy, just to make sure you are not addicted -- even in a mild way. To make sure you're not using alcohol as a crutch would certainly be a sensible thing to do."

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER, BITCHES!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx

I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER, BITCHES!
    LMMFAO!!!
    my heart should be strong to pump the blood of and elephant.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recall a story of an old Italian-Sardinian man who lived to the ripe old age of something like 116 and said his secret was a glass of red wine a day.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rovus
    I recall a story of an old Italian-Sardinian man who lived to the ripe old age of something like 116 and said his secret was a glass of red wine a day.
    My great gramps lived to 104 on a diet of red chili, beans and a glass of red wine a day.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    LMMFAO!!!
    my heart should be strong to pump the blood of and elephant.
    As is evidenced by the grammaticality of that sentence (translation: You're wasted!)

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Hell I guess I'll live for ever. Somebody Give Me a Shot.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts

What good is a healthy heart going to do you when your liver is shot to hell?
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Viking

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Viking

THE LIVER DOESN'T CONTROL THE FINGERS, BITCHES!!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Right on!!

Why is Edward always right about this stuff??
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx

THE LIVER DOESN'T CONTROL THE FINGERS, BITCHES!!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)