Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Last Online

08.27.16 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default is there much difference in tone

Is there a big difference in tone with ash, alder, and basswood.

Little Dreamer

12.04.06 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that different woods make a big difference. You can call it "tone", and most people do....but I think it is more of a different "feel". The way you feel the vibrations, and the way the vibration affects everything from the sound, to the sustain, to the feel of the string action.

I have built several solidbody strat types. Right now I have one that is of basswood, one is of Eastern Maple, and one is a really light weight cream colored wood (now painted) that I don't really know what it is.

The basswood is excellent. It's not too heavy, but it's not light either. My basswood guitar (which by the way has a VH2 yellow/black striped paint job), plays great and feels great, and has a more mellow sound than my other two.

The Eastern Maple is really heavy. This is one HEAVY strat. But I love it, and that's what I wanted. (Unlike my taste in women...I like my guitars heavy). It's a really dense wood, a bit brighter and crisper than the basswood, but with great sustain.

the light weight wood I like less. It doesn't sustain as well, and it is kind of too mellow sounding. Not crisp enough.

But I'm rambling.........and I'm far from an expert.

I would suggest logging on to the Warmoth Guitar site. They have an EXCELLENT wood description page.

(I get a woody every time I read it........OK, sorry, but seriously, I think you'll find the answer to all your questions about solid body guitar woods there.)

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two super-Strats that I've built myself from different parts. One is swamp ash, the other is alder, both have a JB pickup in the bridge position and there IS definitely a difference of sound between the two.
    They still have the same general sound BUT the one in the alder Strat sounds pretty smooth and warm while the one in the ash Strat is definitely brighter and more agressive. I think it makes a big difference and, actually, the ash Strat is more suitable for VH type tones.