Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Jury Duty

Have any of you guys and gals ever been selected to jury duty?

I served on a jury for the first time ever this week. The trail ended today. I thought that it was cool and fascinating. I was home alot earlier than if I had gone to work these 3 days that's for sure.

Quite an experience. And, I feel good that I did my duty and helped out the judicial system.

The trail was about a motor vehicle accident from 2002. A 78 year old man and a 77 year old woman were hit and wanted damages due to permanent injury.

We the jury found in favor of the defendant. There was not enough evidence to conclude that there was permanent damage due to the accident.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got called but didn't have to serve. But don't tell my boss that .

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Or you could do what I do and work for the DA. That way you NEVER have to serve on a Jury. I can't really say NEVER because I could serve on a civil jury. I can't do a criminal trial because I usually see all the evidence months before the trial even begins.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I have never been called up once.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I was called right when I turned 18! I went to court, but they never selected me for the Jury, since I was so young.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I actually just went a few weeks ago. Got assigned to a trial at the end of the first day, went through the selection process the second day. I got dismissed by the defense because my friends got shot by possible gang-members, and the trial involved gang-related activities. They didn't want anyone there who might have a personal bias, LOL! It's funny to see whom the defense doesn't want there.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

I've been called at least a dozen times. Got out of all the county ones except two, those two times was dismissed due to settlement (which counts as your maximum every 2 year duty even if you don't step foot in the courtoom) and the other due to the fact the prosecution didn't like my bias concerning the poor.

But then I got called for Federal jury duty. Hard to get outta that one. People go their whole lifetimes without getting called for fed jury - my parents at the time were envious. Plus, if you're a hundred plus miles away from your nearest Federal courthouse, it pays pretty well - mileage, gas, overnight hotel for length of trial (or you can pocket the funds and commute), daily wage (much higher than the $15/day county payment, I forget how much), and my non profit employers at the time had to give paid time off in full for Federal duty - and not dock any personal or vacation hours for it, either. Took two days for a panel to be selected. Had to watch films on the patriotic duty of Federal level juror status. Got picked for a trial, boom. Two and a half weeks of trial re: tax evasion. Yawn. Pretty boring case. But made an extra two grand that month, on top of paid time off. Just wish it had been a more interesting case. Funny enough, the trial was at the precisely same time as O.J.'s trial, just down the street at the LA county courthouse, so had to wangle through the media circus every morning.

We spent two days deliberating. They had the guy nailed, we found him guilty on the first two counts, but they couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt an accompanying third conspiracy charge.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I've been called at least a dozen times. Got out of all the county ones except two, those two times was dismissed due to settlement (which counts as your maximum every 2 year duty even if you don't step foot in the courtoom) and the other due to the fact the prosecution didn't like my bias concerning the poor.
    Nice. I smiled at the black dude that was being prosecuted to show him that even if he's black and a suspected criminal/gang member, he's still a human being to me.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Been called up a few times... always manage to weasel my way out of it
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Got called up once but didnt get the finger.

Sounded like a boring case anyway so wasn't too upset about it lol
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I've been called 3 times already. (Random my ass. My dad has been called 15 times!)

The first time I got called, I was conveinently out of the state at college. Didn't have to go.

Second time I got called, I got put on an armed robbery trial. Talk about the biggest waste of my time. The trial lasted 4 days, not counting the jury selection process. The total trial time, was MAYBE 8 hours. I shit you not. They spread an 8 hour trial out over 4 freaking days. They would be in session for 10 minutes, then decide to take a 2 hour break. We ended up finding the guy not guilty because NO ONE could keep their story straight. The icing on the cake was after the trial, the judge came into the jurors room and said we did a great job because that trial never should of gone to a jury trial anyway. There wasn't enough evidence. : So there I was driving my ass down to the California Avenue courthouse (For those not familiar with Chicago, it is in the middle of the hood. Very bad area.) for a week for something that I never should of had to do.

The third time I was called, I was interviewed to become a juror. It was for some dumbass suing Bank One because he dropped an ATM machine on himself. I was asked if I had ever been on a jury before, and I said yes, and then recounted my story above. Then I was asked if I had any problems awarding large sums of money to people. I said not at all, but then I looked at the "victim" and said he still had all his arms and legs and didn't look too hurt to me, so he would have a real hard time getting me to give him any money. I was excused.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    Nice. I smiled at the black dude that was being prosecuted to show him that even if he's black and a suspected criminal/gang member, he's still a human being to me.
    I know I speak for all us black folk when I say this, thank you. Check's in the mail, Jan.

Got called for Jury Duty once, but thankfully I was in school and had finals, so I didn't have to go thru with it.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Was selected last September here in San Francisco. It was a monthe before my wedding. I was in a huge room with all the other prospective jurors and they called two different groups of people to go off to different rooms. Just when I thought I was scott free, the judge walked into the room and began to address all of us. He told us that this trial was a little unusual because it was probably going to last at least SEVEN TO EIGHT WEEKS! I just about shit myself. They then asked who would not be able to serve because of a hardship and I jumped on that really quick. We had to fill out a form explaining why we would not be able to serve. I explained that I was getting married shortly and my future wife would be slightly upset if I was unable to attend my wedding. I added that if the juddge would like to explain that to my fiancee, then by all means, go ahead. When I got to the front of the line the Judge read my paper and got a little chuckle out of it and said my wedding was a little more important. Now I'm safe for two years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

"The key to beating jury duty is to say your prejudice against all races" - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Or say...."I can't spot a criminal just by looking at him"....

They'll let ya go pretty fast....