Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default I recruited some new VH fans this weekend

Over the weekend I had my two nephews (ages 14 and 10) stay with me. While we were hanging out one of them noticed some VH DVD's I had and they asked if we could watch a little. That's all I needed to hear!! Unfortunately, all I have on DVD are several Van Hagar shows. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hagar years as much as the Roth years, but the simple fact is that if you're passing along the legend of VH you cannot start with the Hagar years. You just can't. So I figured the next best thing was to just show them Ed's solo from Live Without A Net because they were asking me who Eddie Van Halen was.

It was both exciting and depressing to look at their faces as they watched for the first time ever Eddie doing his thing. These kids have never seen Eddie Van Halen. Fucking depressing. When I first learned of Eddie Van Halen I was 10 years old in 1978. I had the good fortune of growing up with Van Halen while they were happening. Now I'm 38 and showing my nephews footage of Eddie that is now 20 years old! Live Without A Net seems like yesterday to me. I saw two shows that tour and I remember it so vividly that I can still smell the muggy air in the Worcester Centrum as they walked onstage.

As we watched his solo they asked questions like, "Uncle Mike, can you play that fast?" Lol! Yeah right! "Uncle Mike, why are both of his hands on that part of the guitar? Doesn't he need a pick?" Hilarious. How the hell do you explain to a 10 year old and 14 year old who Eddie Van Halen is and the magnitude of what he has accomplished? I truly didn't know where to start. There is absolutely no way to explain to them what they are seeing.

So on the ride home they asked if I had any Van Halen CD's in the car. Stupid question. So I played them Eruption, Jump, Panama, Unchained, and Dance The Night Away. The 14 year old said afterwards, "those guys rock, huh." Understatement of the year! I had to laugh. As we listened to Eruption I tried to imagine what they were thinking. Did they even 'know' what they were listening to? I actually felt bad for them. They were born too late to live through the VH experience that was 1978-1984. I told them about the time my mother (their grandmother) took me to the store to buy the new Van Halen cassette when it first came out - Fair Warning. Of course, this meant nothing to them but it's a great memory for me. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I guess the point of all this is, how can it be that I'm telling my nephews about Eddie Van Halen the same way my dad told me about Ted Williams and Elvis Presley? Fucking crazy.

As the saying goes, where the hell does the time go?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Great post, man !

Been there myself with my kids !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Great post...

I wish the VH bros would watch some of these old shows to see how things could be on stage, having fun and jamming away. Just because they're getting old doesn't mean they have to get bitter too...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

That's a great post, and yet so relatable. Whenever I have friends of mine in my car, I always put in Best of Both Worlds or some sort of Van Halen CD so I can imagine what they are thinking when Eruption starts blasting or when the drill from Poundcake rips into the car. I have actually showed one of my friends some bootlegs from the 2004 Tour on DVD and he loves the outro tapping part to Eruption now.

Doesn't the music of Van Halen rule!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Can't wait till I get the chance to give a VH101 class to my nephews as well.

I got a bit of a wait though. The oldest nephew just turned two and his brother will be born this July.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

My niece was exposed to Van Halen before she was born. Whenever she would start moving around a lot in my sister, I would play "316" on my acoustic. She would settle down almost immediately. I think we even have it on video tape around here somewhere.

She had just turned 3 when "Balance" came out. I was trying to learn "CSLY" and played that first lick, when out of nowhere comes this little "HA!", right on cue where Sammy does it in the song. Me and my sister both looked at each other with the "Did she just do what we thought she did?" look. It was very cool.

It was only fitting that I take her along with me to the Kansas City show during the 2004 show when she was 12. The cool thing was she was just sitting there. Not going crazy and yelling and hollering like the rest of us grown up idiots. She was SOAKING the show up like a sponge. At first I thought she just wasn't enjoying it, but when we got in the car for the trip home, she was really excited and talking a mile a minute.

Last year, while I was at a Junior High track meet, I was wearing my "Van Halen Kicks Ass!" shirt and a kid in her class (7th grade), came up to me and said "Cool shirt!". I thought maybe he just liked it because it's cool looking and says "Ass" on it, but my niece said that he really likes Van Halen. It's always good to see kids that age that appreciate fine music.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have 2 boys ages 8 and 5 and they only know of 3 bands : Dream Theater, AC/DC and VAN HALEN. Thanks to me they will grow up knowing there is more to music than rappers singing about their bling bling or American Idol branded pop bullsh*&% . They know Eddie and Angus by name and can air guitar with the best of them.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    My niece was exposed to Van Halen before she was born. Whenever she would start moving around a lot in my sister, I would play "316" on my acoustic. She would settle down almost immediately. I think we even have it on video tape around here somewhere.

She had just turned 3 when "Balance" came out. I was trying to learn "CSLY" and played that first lick, when out of nowhere comes this little "HA!", right on cue where Sammy does it in the song. Me and my sister both looked at each other with the "Did she just do what we thought she did?" look. It was very cool.

It was only fitting that I take her along with me to the Kansas City show during the 2004 show when she was 12. The cool thing was she was just sitting there. Not going crazy and yelling and hollering like the rest of us grown up idiots. She was SOAKING the show up like a sponge. At first I thought she just wasn't enjoying it, but when we got in the car for the trip home, she was really excited and talking a mile a minute.

Last year, while I was at a Junior High track meet, I was wearing my "Van Halen Kicks Ass!" shirt and a kid in her class (7th grade), came up to me and said "Cool shirt!". I thought maybe he just liked it because it's cool looking and says "Ass" on it, but my niece said that he really likes Van Halen. It's always good to see kids that age that appreciate fine music.
    LOL!! I was nearly sent home from 10th grade for the day for wearing my VH Kicks Ass shirt in '87. I had to wear my jacket the rest of the day over it so I wouldn't get tossed.

Keep recruiting the youngsters. We're a vanishing breed!

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

TOO SWEET. Keep the music alive.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love to read threads/posts like these. Keeping up the spirit of Van Halen!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I was cruising around with a girl yesterday and I had BOV 1 in the CD player. Every few tunes she'd be like "I know this song! it's really good!" so by the end of the night I was sitting at my pc burning 4 discs worth of VH for her. I said "you keep that talk up I'll have to ask you to marry me!" lol

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Great story. Gotta start em out right.

All my kids ever heard from me were VH and the Scorps with some GnR thrown in.

You're right, where does the time go? Seems like just yesterday to me as well.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Banned!
    Last Online

07.14.06 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JumpTheHotTeacher
    Over the weekend I had my two nephews (ages 14 and 10) stay with me. While we were hanging out one of them noticed some VH DVD's I had and they asked if we could watch a little. That's all I needed to hear!! Unfortunately, all I have on DVD are several Van Hagar shows. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hagar years as much as the Roth years, but the simple fact is that if you're passing along the legend of VH you cannot start with the Hagar years. You just can't. So I figured the next best thing was to just show them Ed's solo from Live Without A Net because they were asking me who Eddie Van Halen was.

It was both exciting and depressing to look at their faces as they watched for the first time ever Eddie doing his thing. These kids have never seen Eddie Van Halen. Fucking depressing. When I first learned of Eddie Van Halen I was 10 years old in 1978. I had the good fortune of growing up with Van Halen while they were happening. Now I'm 38 and showing my nephews footage of Eddie that is now 20 years old! Live Without A Net seems like yesterday to me. I saw two shows that tour and I remember it so vividly that I can still smell the muggy air in the Worcester Centrum as they walked onstage.

As we watched his solo they asked questions like, "Uncle Mike, can you play that fast?" Lol! Yeah right! "Uncle Mike, why are both of his hands on that part of the guitar? Doesn't he need a pick?" Hilarious. How the hell do you explain to a 10 year old and 14 year old who Eddie Van Halen is and the magnitude of what he has accomplished? I truly didn't know where to start. There is absolutely no way to explain to them what they are seeing.

So on the ride home they asked if I had any Van Halen CD's in the car. Stupid question. So I played them Eruption, Jump, Panama, Unchained, and Dance The Night Away. The 14 year old said afterwards, "those guys rock, huh." Understatement of the year! I had to laugh. As we listened to Eruption I tried to imagine what they were thinking. Did they even 'know' what they were listening to? I actually felt bad for them. They were born too late to live through the VH experience that was 1978-1984. I told them about the time my mother (their grandmother) took me to the store to buy the new Van Halen cassette when it first came out - Fair Warning. Of course, this meant nothing to them but it's a great memory for me. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I guess the point of all this is, how can it be that I'm telling my nephews about Eddie Van Halen the same way my dad told me about Ted Williams and Elvis Presley? Fucking crazy.

As the saying goes, where the hell does the time go?

Why would you do such a thing? Why bring new people in the soap opera and lifeless band?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by halenfan25
    Why would you do such a thing? Why bring new people in the soap opera and lifeless band?

For the same reason we do it for Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and the like.............They were innovators, and wrote the soundtrack for an entire era of rock music !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Who wouldn't want to share the greatness that is VH?

They had a rep, before the soap operas, before all the crap went down. To deny anyone the sounds of VH is kinda selfish.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One