Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Public Internet Access Question

About a year ago my boss got the bright idea of setting up an internet access point in the lobby of the motel. The idea being that guests could pay $3 for fifteen minutes online.

His first mistake was that he bought a laptop for this, a refurbished IBM stinkpad, even though I told him that Laptops were too twitchy for the job. He then loaded it with Norton Anti-Virus, which then failed.

The kicker is that someone (not I) left the computer on the Administrator account and a guest then made herself at home and changed everything around as if it were her own computer and deactivated the anti-virus and BOOM, it's gone down more than Lyndsay Lohan at a Oscar party.

So now the boss is planning his next move. I suggested that he set up a server-based network with two dummy terminals. That way were could load up a Window's XP server with a monster firewall and hardcore anti-virus suite. The server would be on the other side of the counter so that only employees could have access to it.

Plan "B" is just to get a I-Mac, which I'd rather see since they rarely get viruses.

My question is: Is there something I've missed?

The server idea is the cheapest because all we'd need is a new tower, we have a couple of retired Pentium IIs in storage and a couple of beat-up monitors.

Anyway, we just want a simple and painless way to let our customers acces the internet.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Both seem like good options. The mac would be kinda worry free since they are stable and since alot of people don't know how to change settings, it is less likely that Joe Bob could screw it up.

The kiosk option is also very good since all the user has is a monitor, keyboard and mouse. With the right settings turned on or off, you can limit all access to the computer except for internet explorer. With the right firewall settings, you can limit all access to port 80 so people don't dick around with ftp or what not. I have experience with kiosks, I had to build one my senior year of college. The way I did it was more time consuming since there was a physical computer at the station, but using controls inside of XP Pro and some other programs and a piece of code i altered I was able to create a stable useful kiosk that was restricted to only 3 websites. To date it's never been tampered with

If you want, I can try to scrounge around and find the info I had from doing the kiosk you can look over and see what I did. Good luck with that venture.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

That kiosk idea sounds pretty cool. I'm so sick of these business centres. Hasn't been too bad in our hotels as I think we only give them "guest" access. My wife had one at the hotel that she used to work at and it was always getting crapped on. She used to just keep the contents on a removable hard drive and every once in awhile I guess they just restored it. People just have no respect for things that aren't theirs.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The cool thing is that the whole place is live with wireless, so our guests with laptops and PDAs can access the net for free from their rooms.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300