Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.12.06 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default will the real Van Halen please stand up: a GamePlan

alright, this is my first post and only maybe 2nd time on this board. i've obsessed over this band in my younger days and followed them [physically, literally] and harassed them and loved them. i also pretty much left them behind when my tastes expanded and increased and tended toward the undercurrent where legitimate passion still thrives. This Band is Done. and why can't ANYone accept that? most of all The Brothers. and you know what? GOOD. but what i mean by that, and i do it with Big LOve, is that we all need to leave cherished eras in our life sometimes and we do it to GROW. Eddie will never be (well, i shouldn't say that)... Eddie Right Now can't be the smiling Eddie from 'jump'. the guy's got some trouble. his demons right now (as seen from outside) seem to be DOMinating. his ego. his hurt. his frustration that, after all this, he's PARAlyzed by his reliance on a singer. that he can't be 'the driving force'. So Let's Let That Era Go. which leaves us.........

Inspired.

Edward is an incredibly talented guy. he used to take unbelievable chances. 'falling down stairs'. he hasn't in a very long time. i retract that. he sang on a song. [now i don't know where his tongue cancer comes in to play here. does anyone know, is his voice 'normal'? can he still speak/sing clearly?? i digress]. he was getting 'darker'. why not channel that.
    I don't want a Satriani-esqe Eddie Van Halen solo album. how obvious and redundant would that be. I want him to do one of two things. or both.

1) NO MORE "VAN HALEN". form a different band. start over. don't be 'chained' to all these old ideas and setlists and sentimentality. musicians need to challenge themselves to stay alive/current/relevant. write new songs. from scratch. with people. as a band. have. fun. [insert obvious EVH quote here]. or if not a 'band', an 'ensemble'. play with aMAZing players. famous or not. WOw us again! with something comPLetly unexpected. even if this means no alex.

[Ok, three things.]

2) record some crazy sh*t. open yourself up. pour complete gibberish out. again, have fun. make the craziest, brilliant, artistic, self-indulgent masterpiece. use your voice. and i mean that figuratively and literally. you don't need to place safe. you need to play NOT safe.

3) this is where the demons come in. again, if he can still sing. i know he wanted to write more 'song songs'. have a more personal touch. if he hasn't been attempting to write 'real' songs during these down years he's missed a valuable opportunity. but it's never too late. i want to know what he's thinking. i want to hear him obsess over it in song. i want those demons to pierce me in all sorts of places, only i don't want it done merely via distortion. i don't want to hear EVH-as-AliceInChains or any such nonsense. i want heart. WE ALL FELL IN LOVE WITH EDDIE'S HEART. FIRST AND FOREMOST. I am Fully Emotionally Invested is his well-being. we all are. the public is. he was one of the sweetest guys we could ever hope to idolize. who DOESn't want him to open up to us?? i don't care if it's screaming, whimpering, moaning, crying, grunting, or absolute sheer beauty [i hope it's all of the above], i want to hear it pour from his insides to my headphones. and i want to be aSTONished.

Goodbye Van Halen.

Hello Edward.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

Where shall I sign?

I agree 100% and feel exactly like you.
    I don't need to hear a safe-VH-like-rock song anymore. I had over 10 albums of that. And those were perfect! I doubt that EVH will write a "rock song" in the future that will top those.
    I want an inspired EVH and if its a solo-piano CD like Keith Jarrett, then so be it but at least then the musician EVH is alive again. I mean how bored must a genius like EVH be to HAVE to write a riff like "up for breakfast" or otherwise the fans get upset.
    Eddie: lay VH to bed for good, and make YOUR music!

BTW, great first post!

Cheers
    Last edited by tease; 05.19.06 at 04:36 AM.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

While many may agree with your post, I have absolutely no desire to watch EVH run around beating off on a guitar like Satriani or Malmsteen. I don't care for solo stuff, and I'd honestly be happier hearing something from Van Halen then ever hearing anything again from Ed. He apparently thought so too, back in 2004 in his interview with Guitar World, but that was obviously a bunch of crap.

Great first post btw
    Last edited by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love; 05.19.06 at 06:40 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've said it once, if a hundred times, if Eddie's playing on it, I'm buying it. Don't care if it's 'Jazz Odyssey'. Just wish he'd do SOMETHING, for cryin' out loud...
    Last edited by sixstring; 05.19.06 at 06:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great 1st post.

Don't know if I'd be happy to hear Ed solo, but whatever he'd put out, I'd probably buy it anyway. Plus, I don't think he would do a whole solo project w/out Big Al

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Great post, hope Eddie reads this and gets inspired.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

While I would buy anything with the name Edward Van Halen on it...didn't he kind of do all this with III and get his ass handed to him by his "fans?" Demons or not, his ego has always been fragile and he can't deal with failure.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Now that Mike's been fired for having an opinion; it will never be Van Halen again. With that said, there is no other alternative but for a different name for the band and a fresh start. Edward and Alex Van Halen need to grow up and stop thinking their music is directed at horny 14 year olds. We are middle aged now, and are done with rock and roll. Van Tuba

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Truly great first post. We used to get a lot of posts like that around here, ones that had really out of the box thinking. Refreshing to read. Thanks for signing up.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Fuck that I want Fair Warning 2.

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_atomic_punks_rule
    Fuck that I want Fair Warning 2.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Now that Mike's been fired for having an opinion; it will never be Van Halen again. With that said, there is no other alternative but for a different name for the band and a fresh start. Edward and Alex Van Halen need to grow up and stop thinking their music is directed at horny 14 year olds. We are middle aged now, and are done with rock and roll. Van Tuba
    I don't get it, the band can change singers and still be Van Halen, but if the bass player leaves the band is over? I don't understand this logic.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it's me
    I don't get it, the band can change singers and still be Van Halen, but if the bass player leaves the band is over? I don't understand this logic.
    Mike is great for Van Halen but you do make a good point.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

First of all, great 1st post there, newbie...

Second...

I really hope Ed gets it together and starts playing out again. He just needs to say "What the Fuck" and do it...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Van Halen's Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by it's me

1) III sounded weird because it missed Mike's sunny backup vocals.

2) Whatever band Mike ends up with will be a success because he's the guy we always wanted to be; chillin, stable, surrounded by women, and driving the phatest muscle cars on the planet. He's our phukin hero, the dog who got beat; and its high time our brother Mike got some recognition.

3) Van Halen, 'the band' is dis-banded. We can't sit here and wait for our guitar hero to end his strike on new music. Life is not static. It moves, or it moves you; and Ed needs to move us with something like Respect The Wind, or a complete volume of orchestral VH. Dang, if they can do it bluegrass-style on 'Strummin with the Devil', and sell records.. Just imagine what a Edward & Alex Van Halen could do with a major symphony orchestra, ala Metallica black-style. And for God's sake, I can paint my own car, but it never looks as good as when a pro does it. Get a producer@!

4) Re-invent, and show us what we were missing. I remember hearing an Eddie keyboard tape of JUMP played on a radio interview, and there was some kool shit in there that I've never heard on a record. Edward must purge all this unheard music from his system, or the world is bound to slowly wobble into an UNINHABITAL orbit, and the human race disolved.

5) It is our RIGHT, as the very fans who want to BUY NOW the sounds of our lost youth; when we made it for the 1st time in the back seat to 'Jamie's Cryin', and had children of the storm, to hear the progression of our generation; as we have loyaly adored the band for decades. Edward & Alex HAVE to surface in something mind-blowing, and different. We are adults.

6) Mike is that last buddy we ever expected to be kicked out of the mansion. He's our brother. He respresents us as fans. He's always been there, and he's been underpaid. It's time Mike feels like he's important. It saddens my heart to imagine how he felt as a 'paid musician' on the last VH tour. I laid out a grand and gave some people the concert of a lifetime, but I wanted that cash split between the 4 of you. If Mike got paid like an illegal alien laying bricks, and still had a bad ass show every night, he's the fuckin star

Edward and Alex are solo musicians, and have about a million of us waiting for something special. I think they can pull it together and give us what we want. Open those vaults my brothers, and give us the VH Holy Grail before we don't give a damn.

Ph@
    Last edited by Phatie; 05.20.06 at 12:40 AM.