Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Van Halen II
    Last Online

07.15.16 @ 10:31 PM
    Liked 286 Times in 141 Posts

Default Violin sells for $3.54 Million

NEW YORK - A nearly 300-year-old Stradivarius violin sold Tuesday for more than $3.5 million, shattering the record for the highest amount paid for a musical instrument at auction, Christie’s said.

The instrument, made in 1707 by Italian violinmaker Antonio Stradivari, sold at Christie’s auction house for $3,544,000 after less than five minutes of bidding.

The winning bid, which included the house’s commission, broke a record of $2,032,000 paid for another Stradivarius at Christie’s in April 2005, the auction house said.

The new owner bought the violin anonymously via telephone. Kerry K. Keane, who heads Christie’s department of musical instruments and was the bidder’s proxy, described him as “a gentleman who is international” and a “benefactor and patron of the arts” who loves classical music.

The violin, which had been expected to sell for $1.5 million to $2.5 million, will probably be heard soon on stages worldwide, Keane said, declining to elaborate.

The violin’s former owner, who also wanted to remain anonymous, bought it privately in 1992 from an estate, Keane said, and loaned it to violinists including Kyoko Takezawa, an orchestral soloist, recitalist and recording artist who has performed with many of the world’s top orchestras.

The violin, made in Cremona, Italy, is considered a product of Stradivari’s golden period. Musicians and collectors covet the violins he made from 1700 to 1720 because of their beauty and superior sound, Christie’s said.

A violinist and teacher brought the violin to the United States in 1911. Since then it has had various owners.

It is named The Hammer for Christian Hammer, a 19th-century Swedish collector.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 03:57 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Must be nice to be able to afford $3.5 million on a musical instrument.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

No worse than an Eddie Van Halen Charvel!!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls