Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ATTN: Computer Geeks....

I'd like some assistance on the impending purchase of my first laptop
    computer.

There are 2 different brands of laptops going on sale this Wednesday on base, and I'd like some input from anyone who feels compelled to throw in their .02 about which is the better computer:

HP
    #DV4420us
    Pentium M 735a 1.7 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    100 GB HD
    15.4" TFT/WXGA
    6 Cell Lilon
    DVD+/- RW DL
    HP QuickPlay with Remote & Earbuds
    54G Centrino
    Price: $1049 ($999 after $50 rebate)

Sony Vaio
    #VGNFS920
    Pentium M 740 1.73 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    15.4" WXGA
    DVD+/- RW DL
    802.11G
    Price: $1049 (No rebate)

I've been to HP's site, and they have all the specs listed there for their model. But, unfortunately, Sony.com didn't have the same for theirs. As a matter of fact, it wasn't even listed on their site at all.

I have 2 opinions from family members to buy the Sony, while the salesman on base said the HP was the better of the two overall, though the Sony has a better screen resolution, yet is expensive to have serviced.

Me? I'm leaning towards the HP. But, I just wanted to see what everyone here had to say. I'm not buying anything at Fry's, Best Buy, or Circuit City because then I'd end up paying about $70 in sales tax, while on base I just pay the advertised price, no sales tax.

Your opinions, and expertise, are very welcome. Thanks!
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Had 'em both. Currently on the Vaio.

HP: Hinges wear out & EPROM will eventually die so it won't load the OS.

Viao: Thumb button will wear out and fan gets noisy after a year. Toshiba hard drive will physically crash after 13 months like a roll of quarters in a blender. (replace with Hitachi or Maxtor). Preloaded Norton everything makes it slow. Plus is VGA out for 2 screens, and that is very valuable for me because I do a lot of technical writing. Add another stick of ram - you'll need it.

Laptops have a 2 year life with me. I wear the letters off the keys.

Between the two: Sony. Still looking for a better one.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The lighter one.

The truth is that you never want to buy a laptop sight unseen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I've heard of a bunch of problems with Sony and HP laptops, some of which Phatie has already described.

Personally, I'd get a Dell. I've been using Dell laptops for about 7 years now for work (On my third) and I've never had any kind of hardware problem what so ever.

Also, as Phatie said, get as much RAM as you can. You will need it sooner or later.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    I've heard of a bunch of problems with Sony and HP laptops, some of which Phatie has already described.

Personally, I'd get a Dell. I've been using Dell laptops for about 7 years now for work (On my third) and I've never had any kind of hardware problem what so ever.

Also, as Phatie said, get as much RAM as you can. You will need it sooner or later.
    Zeo has it right...Dell provides good laptops. I have had one for awhile and it has given me no problems. There are lemons from all brands...you have to go with whatever works best for you.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have seven dell laptops here in the office. I've had to have the motherboard replaced twice in mine and once in one of the others. We had one other go out, but that's because it got beer spilled on it.

I've had several friends and family members get an HP and all have been very happy with it. But they are casual users.

I've always believed the Sony's are nice, but it seems you pay a lot more just for the Sony name and it's not that much better of a product.

I have a Toshiba at home and have had to have it replaced three times for various reasons. Good thing I got the extended warrenty!!

I agree, there are going to be lemons with any brand. Think about how many thousands of laptops and PC's they are building every day and the hundreds of components that go into each one and you are going to wind up with a few bad ones. Just pick the one that has the features you want and are most important to you.

Oh, one more thing. Laptops with a 17" screen may sound nice, but if you haven't seen or used one, it makes for a very big laptop.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The ergonomics on Dells are shit, and in my experience the keyboards are crap as well.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have had no problem with Dell's keyboards...work great for me. Again, Vince, you'd have to be the judge. For the two you're thinking about, I'd go with the HP. I have heard fairly good things about them.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Speaking of Dell computers, on their desktops, do they have open bays for additional hard drives or dvd drives etc?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    Speaking of Dell computers, on their desktops, do they have open bays for additional hard drives or dvd drives etc?
    Yes. I have two "old" Dell's and they have plenty of room for expansion. BTW, Dell recently bought Alienware computers, so you will probably see there XPS line combine some of that structure and quality.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Yes they do. My personal Dell desktop at home has 2 expansion slots.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

cool, I figured they would but I've never worked with a Dell desktop.

I'm probably gonna get one soon.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

I need to replace mine it is 6 years old now and it is getting painfully slow. It won't do anything until I kill McAfee from running in the background.

256 MB of ram just doesn't cut it anymore!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

GP, give some serious thought to buying something other than a Dell. The last Dell desktop I bought was DOA. The Molex connector on the hard drive had been broken off, and that's not the kind of thing that happens during shipping. So much for being tested at the factory, eh? The last Dell laptop I bought had one of the SO-DIMMs improperly seated. The quality is low and the service and support are crap. They've got some of the lowest prices in the business, and there's a reason for that. They cut corners.

Not all Dell desktops have much room for expansion. It varies by the model.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I personally use an HP laptop thats about 2 years old, it's a great lil laptop and has had only minor problems. The hinges on mine are fine and all the buttons still work and are visible. Whichever you go with, I would bump that ram up to at least a gig and "acquire" a copy of XP Pro and strip it down to the bare minimum, then it should run like a top. Weight factors only bother me if I take my laptop anywhere, but usually it just hangs out in the bedroom or living room so a giant weight does not bother me. Also, a lighter weight can mean a slimmer battery which can mean shorter life if you use the batt only, so there are trade offs.

Greenpaw...if I were you I would build one instead of getting a pre made box. Generally you can save some scratch from doing it this way and overall you'll get a better machine, plus you won't have to worry about any proprietary hardware that some manufacturers use. I work at best buy and it seems that the majority of the computers that come in to the Nerd Squad are Dell's...Even more than the cheap e-machines. Not trying to scare you off of them, but thats been my experience and don't want you to be dissapointed.