Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

VH a fan's view of history....

1978-1985 A++: Van Halen grew from a local LA band to a world-wide band of legendary proportions. MTV mainstay and household names. Great record sales and tours, and a #1 hit with Jump.

1986- 1996 B++, A-: Van Halen changed singers, great record sales, great tours, survived the grunge rock influx. Became senior members of the rock scene, very well respected.

1996-2006-: Van Halen without direction, pissed off all of the Dave fans with a botched reunion attempt with the best of CD, no tour,no videos, lost alot of the rest of the fans with horrible VH3 album, very good tour with Gary, Ed's guitar was fantastic!, however, lost the few Gary fans with his departure, and then no info ,a long wait, no fan support, and then a reunion with Sam, a few half assed songs on the best of CD, big $$$ tour- #7 of the year, but the worst Eddy live guitar ever. a druken, punked out, crappy display here in Chicago. How low can they go? I never would have imagined this type of ending to Van Halen was even possible....

What can they do to turn it around??? One can only hope!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Blood & Fire
    Last Online

03.13.13 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this thread has no future. i hope the same is not true for eddie.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vistadelrey
    this thread has no future. i hope the same is not true for eddie.
    You need to grow the fuck up and stop posting spam like that. Here, watch me:

1978-1985 - A+ Can you beat it? Can you really beat the classic Van Halen era in any way, shape, or form? Two words: HELL NO!!!! This is what made Van Halen a memorable band, what put them in the rock n' roll history books forever. People always think of Van Halen as this lineup, at least the casual listener does.

1986-1996 - A-/A I gotta give props to Sammy for filling in Dave's shoes the way he did. He gave the band their first #1 album for crissake, let alone three more to follow! Always fun to watch these guys perform happily in vids from 1986-1995. Too bad it ended so soon. The Dave stuff in '96 is just as memorable, even though it ended with a dark shadow over it...

1998-present - C+/B- Even though these guys tried their best (Hell, I loved VH3 and the tour was even better), these guys didn't have the classic essence anymore. It died in '96. And as much as I wished Gary could keep it up in VH, he just couldn't. The '04 reunion was just embarrassing. Three songs, one you could only consider a highlight. The tour was good-at first. Then tensions got high, Eddie started drinking heavily again (he was since the start, but not as heavy as the end), and we're where we are at now, sadly.

Is there a future for Van Halen? I don't know. Is there a future in this thread? Yes, I really believe there is. Its a really good idea.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Blood & Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a little bombastic but ok run with it.

no disrespect to the thread starter but I see this subject everywhere with no new news here and the potential for a dave vs sammy war. i could be wrong.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Then it'd be better just to say nothing at all. Keep the posts in this thread on topic.
    Last edited by MikeL; 05.14.06 at 09:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Blood & Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Then it'd be better just to say nothing at all. Keep the posts in this thread on topic.
    ok.

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

1974-1985: the beginnings of an amazing band, the rise, the songs, the albums, dave dressing like a female movie star bringing the bands hard rock appeal down, but their commericial appeal higher. dave thinking he can act and the band kicking him out (supposedly).

1985-1996: finding this other guy who had a more succesful solo career before joining halen, than dave ever had after halen. good songs. the beginning of the halen ballads (ok but... where the rock at?) solid records, refined instrument sounds. no bass evident on OU812. even the kick drums have hardly any low end.
    the band becoming children and arguing. sammy is booted (supposedly). dave returns. dave thinks its 84 still btu luckily at mtv awards doesnt wear womens 80s clothing.
    fails.

1997-1999: cherone. gets flack cuz it aint sam or dave. doesnt deserve it. underrated. still went gold (just the US. wonder how it did everywhere else?)
    ok album, better tour. new stuff seemed promising then he was booted out (supposedly).

2000-2006: failed reunion attempts apparently. nothing new. songs on yet another record company best of package that the whole band does NOT play on.
    people getting mad at the internet rather than real life.

thats my history of van halen.

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.12.08 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1978-1984 A+ records B Live
    1985-1996 A++ records A+ Live
    1996-1999 B+ Record A Live

Yes, Roth was even worse than Gary live

The REAL deal.

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

too bad roth got heavy into the JD and blow. that is a shame. what a waste of a man who was once respected. interesting story in motley's the dirt about roth.
    a man in shambles fronting the best band there ever was.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

85-96 A+ you say?? Tsk Tsk. You don't know anything. EVEYWHFEVR

A man named David Lee Roth a shamble? It was what the time was. You seem to forget a certain, one deaddy was doing the EXACT same things as David Lee Roth dipshit.
    Last edited by i1sum2!; 05.16.06 at 02:42 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vistadelrey
    and the potential for a dave vs sammy war. i could be wrong.
    Everything here has potential for that. It's like living in a bomb shelter!!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by EBEVHMM2005
    1978-1984 A+ records B Live
    1985-1996 A++ records A+ Live
    1996-1999 B+ Record A Live

Yes, Roth was even worse than Gary live

The REAL deal.
    In what alternative universe??
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bet Spock, Kirk and the makeshift crew of the Enterprise could sling shot around the sun and fix VH... wait wrong show. Maybe Neo could take the green pill and VH would.. no wait ah hell I have no idea VH has even me confused on what era we're in

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I dont think Eds playing was bad at all in 2004 .I saw him in DC which was early in the tour so maybe by the fall he was drunk alot more on stage. However ,I saw Ed alot in 70s and I know he was trashed a few times on stage and played very well. Ed is so much better than everyone else and he covered the mic in DC when Sammy was running around and couldnt get back to it in time...total pro. I didnt see the band much in the 80s( raising kids) and then started to go again in 90s. I honestly have never been dissapointed by these guys,Dave ,Sam or Gary when on stage. I have been dissapointed by the ever decreasing gigs and the lack of respect for the fans. Iam glad Sammy and Mike try to make up for it and are touring this summer. Normally I dont do solo Sam but with Mike there Iam gonna try to see a show. At least we get Vanhagar vocals. I still give um an A for 29 yrs Ive seen alot of rock bands they are they best ever.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

1978-1985 A+: In The Beginning the guitar gods made EVH. And it was good. A brand new band came out of the L.A. scene and shook the world of rock music to its core. It seemed like these guys would carry the torch for a loooooong time. They pumped out an album a year in their first five years! This era culminated with their biggest album yet, and their first #1 Billboard single, Jump. David Lee Roth split from the band in 1984 to pursue a solo career, leaving the band looking for a new lead singer.

1986- 1996 A: The Second Coming. Sammy Hagar steps in to try to fill DLR's shoes as frontman for this now mega-band coming off it's #2 album, 1984. The "I can't drive 55" singer does just that. He takes the stage and speeds off into history as probably the best singer replacement of a major music group ever. (except maybe for Phil Collins ) The band continues with huge record sales, concerts and a #1 spot on Billboard with their Sammy debut, 5150. The albums came out a little slower with the new lineup, but they still topped the charts with each one. We may never know the truth behind the reasons why Sammy left Van Halen in 1996.

1996-2006 B-: Third Time's a Charm? Not exactly. The band hooked up with Extreme ex-lead singer Gary Cherone for an attempt at a third life. Van Halen III was released in 1998 to mixed reviews. That summer's tour was the last we would see or hear from the band for a long time. Rumors were the rule until 2004 when the band announced that they had 'reunited' with Sammy Hagar. It turned out to be for 2 new tracks on a 'Best of' collection and a pretty comprehensive US tour. The band members quickly went their own ways after the tour.

That's where we stand today................waiting.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.