Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Universal Music Group Fined Over Lyndsey Lohan's Shitty Music

Wow....the the State of New York is really on top of their stuff!!!

From Fox News:

Lindsay Lohan's Record Company Fined $12M

The New York state attorney general has levied a $12 million fine against Universal Music Group for payola.

This is the largest fine so far in the war between Eliot Spitzer and the music industry, surpassing the $10 million that Sony had to pay and the $5 million for Warner Music Group.

But Universal — home of many overnight stars including several rappers who’ve come and gone — would be the place for this. The company has had enormous success, but at the same time encountered lawsuits from middle-men distributors claiming inflated sales numbers — double dipping at the cash register, so to speak.

Now we have some proof of what’s going on there, thanks to memos supplied as evidence by Spitzer’s office. Many of the acts are those you’ve never heard of. But others are illustrative of how Universal (which includes Island/Def Jam, Motown, Interscope and other labels) tried to force bad music down our throats.

Spitzer’s office includes one very illuminating e-mail from a Universal promotion man: “Guys: We need to get confirmation on what we are doing with the station. Use these promotion [sic] to leverage airplay and rotations.”

And in fact, UMG was doing what it could to persuade radio stations to play its music.

According to the report, they bought a laptop computer for at least one station and sent many people on expensive vacations.

Their graft was in fact no different than that of the other companies Spitzer has fined, just more of it proportionately across the board.

Take Lindsay Lohan. The teen actress was turned into a singer by Tommy Mottola, who made an interesting deal at Universal to start a label just for her.

Mottola also managed Lohan, which no one questioned, and he claimed that UMG had put up $50 million to get the ball rolling.

But Lohan is no singer, and no one, not even her movie fans, wanted her albums or to hear her on the radio.

Nevertheless, the record company persisted. A series of e-mails in June 2005 shows what was happening — a manipulation of MTV’s “Total Request Live” show that airs every afternoon and can seriously affect a new record’s fortunes.

UMG, according to Spitzer’s reports, was spending money at radio stations and for “TRL” to “stuff the ballot box” (my words) and turn losers into winners.

The memo series is all about one subject: “We are hiring a request company starting Monday to jack TRL for Lindsay…Guys this is a no win situation how should I respond...there is no airplay we have been pursuing…”

Even more troubling, but not surprising, is a group called Dream originally found by Sean "Diddy" Combs. A July 2003 e-mail tells the story:

“Okay, this is not fun for me. I’ve been consumed all day with calls with etc bitching about our radio picture on Dream. Confidentially pop has spent $196,000 and r/c has spent $72,000 ... This is embarrassing a total lack of accountability. We have gotten ripped off beyond belief, we better turn this thing around or it’s our a**. That’s almost $300,000 and they are looking for some heads…bad bad bad…If I find out that deals were cut with lack of airplay and overnight spins starting with the nationals, as they say heads are gonna roll, including mine.”

Of course, the record companies are not alone in creating this atmosphere of payola. The radio stations have encouraged and accepted it.

Spitzer’s office is conducting an investigation of the stations’ parent companies, most glaringly Clear Channel, and we should be hearing about those results and more fines soon.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

I'm thinking about sending the NY State AG a nice thankyou card and some wine, or maybe I'll donate some money in their name to an organization for the deaf. Why the fuck isn't the FCC all over this? What about Illinios, Florida and California? This BS must end.

Also, a fine isn't enough. For forcing us to listen to listen to Lohan and Jennifer Lopez, these people should be beaten to death with motorcycle chains.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Fuck MTV...fuck modern radio....fuck American Idol.....

and long live ROCK AND ROLL.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    Fuck MTV...fuck modern radio....fuck American Idol.....

and long live ROCK AND ROLL.
    Amen brutha!
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

This is bullshit but explains a lot about today's music - if you can call it that.

Long live KSCUM!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Long live KSCUM!!
    That's a bigfatmotherfuckin' Amen...

It's really hard to like what's happening to the Music Industry...

It was never a moral or good place, but at least musicians could still be musicians...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Is there any wonder why VH split from Warner? They probably got tired of Warner pushing bullshit instead of them.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Moving this to Music Only.... Which is not to say that Lohan makes music. :clarification:
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Is there any wonder why VH split from Warner? They probably got tired of Warner pushing bullshit instead of them.
    When has Van Halen had anything for Warner Brothers to push in recent years?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

05.25.06 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd5150
    Amen brutha!
    Same here
    When you're Van Hagar, you're Van Hagar 4 life! BOO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You, it would be one thing if the kids were actually running out to buy Lohan or Lopez, I could live with that. However, paying off radio stations to get this crap on heavy rotation is evil. The thing is that it also happens with "Quality" artists as well. About two months back, Barry Mannellow (of all people) had an album debute at #1. It was his first in an almost 40 year career, but you have to ask the question: Did you buy it? Do you even know anyone who did?...Me either. The reason that Barry had a #1 album was because Clive Davis said it would be a #1, and what Clive Davis wants, Clive Davis gets.

It's always been like this, that's why when someone tries to wave the "#1 Album" or "Most #1 Hits" in my face I just laugh.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    When has Van Halen had anything for Warner Brothers to push in recent years?
    LOL! Good point.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    You, it would be one thing if the kids were actually running out to buy Lohan or Lopez, I could live with that. However, paying off radio stations to get this crap on heavy rotation is evil. The thing is that it also happens with "Quality" artists as well. About two months back, Barry Mannellow (of all people) had an album debute at #1. It was his first in an almost 40 year career, but you have to ask the question: Did you buy it? Do you even know anyone who did?...Me either. The reason that Barry had a #1 album was because Clive Davis said it would be a #1, and what Clive Davis wants, Clive Davis gets.

It's always been like this, that's why when someone tries to wave the "#1 Album" or "Most #1 Hits" in my face I just laugh.
    I generally agree with you, but there are a helluva lot more people on this planet with a Manilow album or two than not. The guy has a massive fanbase...You may not know any Julio Iglesias fans either. That doesn't change the fact that he's one of the highest selling acts ever, if not the outright biggest...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

The Manilow success doesn't surprise me. I know a lot of older people into that. And go to Vegas and see...
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA