Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Whit House OPPOSES Giving the Military a Raise!!

This is just wrong. Come on, 2.7% is too high?

White House Opposes Parts of Defense Bill

May 12, 2:52 AM (ET)

By LIZ SIDOTI

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Bush administration does not see a need to increase the size of the armed forces right now. It believes that 2.7 percent is too much of a pay raise for the military. And it does not want to maintain its current fleet of 12 aircraft carriers.

On a 396-31 vote Thursday, the House approved a $512.9 billion military bill that includes those provisions and others that the White House and the Pentagon could do without.

The bill addresses lawmakers' concerns arising from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, from combating makeshift roadside bombs to equipping more vehicles and troops with armor. The measure also includes a plan to spend $50 billion for the first part of next year's war costs.

Overall, the bill sets Defense Department policies and plans spending for the military for the budget year that begins Oct. 1. Actual money will come in separate legislation later this year.

The Senate Armed Services Committee has approved its version of the bill; the full Senate has yet to vote on it.

In a statement, the administration lauded the House for supporting the fight against terrorism but indicated significant concerns with several parts of the measure.

As in past years, the administration threatened a veto if provisions in the final bill call for Pentagon suppliers to buy American-made items. No other provisions have drawn such a threat so far.

Under the House measure, the Pentagon would have to maintain active-duty forces of at least 504,400 for the Army and 180,000 for the Marine Corps. The administration opposes those requirements, saying the Pentagon could wind up having to pay for more people than it needs. Plus, the White House says, the president already has the authority to adjust force levels if necessary.

Additionally, the administration objects to House plans for a 2.7 percent pay raise for military personnel. It says that Bush's request for a 2.2 percent raise, when combined with the administration's overall military benefit package, provides a significant enough increase.

The White House also is concerned about a House proposal to give survivors of slain civilian Defense Department employees a $100,000 death benefit that now is available to families of service members killed in combat zones since Oct. 7, 2001. The administration says the proposed provision could raise "equity concerns."

Against the administration's wishes, the bill requires the Navy to keep its current number of 12 aircraft carriers. The administration objects to the requirement as it seeks permission to retire the USS John F. Kennedy.

House lawmakers tailored the bill to ensuring U.S. troops are protected in combat zones. The bill allows the Pentagon to spend millions of dollars more than what the president requested to continue developing countermeasures for roadside bombs - a primary cause of U.S. troop deaths.

The House bill plans $109.7 million for jamming devices that detect roadside bombs - known as improvised explosive devices, or IEDs - and prevent their explosion. It also plans $100 million for at least 10 manned surveillance aircraft to patrol above roads where the bombs are prevalent.

It also would require jamming devices on all military vehicles used in Iraq and Afghanistan outside of a military compound by Sept. 30, 2007.

Additionally, the bill would let the services spend far more money than Bush sought to continue putting armor on Humvees and providing body armor for troops. It also would devote more dollars to war-zone equipment, such as night-vision devices.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

They need to get the CVN-21 carriers done faster. They are supposed to be much cheaper to operate and maintain.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I just think it is so wrong to not give those boys a raise. It just isn't right.

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It does not surprise me at all, this administration talks the good talk but sure as hell doesnt walk it!

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Show me the money!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Did I read this incorrectly? They are getting a raise- 2.2% right?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150
    Yes, you did read that correctly, but look at what are troops are doing right now. Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, these boys should get the 2.7%!

Hell, that's what I just got for my cost of living raise...geez. I think it's pretty shity not to give them the 2.7%

Don't you?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I agree that its too low. Personally I think they should get a minimum of 5% during a state of war.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Then their spouses are back home raising the kids, buying the groceries, paying the bills and paying high gas prices to top it off.
    The fucking Rush Limbaugh's of the country never mention that shit as they try to spin everything thats is wrong about America right now.

G.W. Bush has fucked up this country so bad it will take atleast 6 years (1 1/2 terms) for the next president to hopefully fix.
    The "right" is going to lose Congress over the next 2 elections, and unless McCain runs, they will lose the White House as well.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

ANy service men or women out there that can tell us what gas prices are "on base"? I'd like to see the comparison.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    I agree that its too low. Personally I think they should get a minimum of 5% during a state of war.
    We get hazard pay.

Maybe it's important to the Army, but I didn't join the Marines for financial reasons. "Semper Fidelis," my internet friends.
    Last edited by Wray; 05.12.06 at 08:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Yes, you did read that correctly, but look at what are troops are doing right now. Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, these boys should get the 2.7%!

Hell, that's what I just got for my cost of living raise...geez. I think it's pretty shity not to give them the 2.7%

Don't you?
    You started this thread by saying the White House opposes a raise for the troops- and that is false.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon
    Then their spouses are back home raising the kids, buying the groceries, paying the bills and paying high gas prices to top it off.
    The fucking Rush Limbaugh's of the country never mention that shit as they try to spin everything thats is wrong about America right now.

G.W. Bush has fucked up this country so bad it will take atleast 6 years (1 1/2 terms) for the next president to hopefully fix.
    The "right" is going to lose Congress over the next 2 elections, and unless McCain runs, they will lose the White House as well.
    This is all Bush's fault? wow. All that happens during any war, this is not new. I hope you were pushing for raises in the 90's when our troops were invading other helpless countries.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is all Bush's fault? wow. All that happens during any war, this is not new. I hope you were pushing for raises in the 90's when our troops were invading other helpless countries.
    I pushed for raises then...did you?
    Last edited by BradS; 05.12.06 at 08:48 AM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You started this thread by saying the White House opposes a raise for the troops- and that is false.
    You're correct...it was false, but not intentional. Until I read your post I didn't realize that I didn't put "White House opposes giving the military a 2.7% raise".

Thanks for your attention to detail.

Now answer the question I asked you. Don't you think they deserve the 2.7% raise?
    Last edited by BradS; 05.12.06 at 08:42 AM.