Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default Ludwig Van Halen?

I was watching a show on Beethoven this morning, and it was pretty interesting. Not only is he my favorite composer, but he was a very interesting person as well.

He was a succesful composer, but then in his late 40's, early 50's he leaned pretty hard on the alcohol, wore ratty clothes, was made fun of in public, and wrote little or no music. Then he wrote what some consider to be his masterpiece, the 9th Symphony which, when after it was played for the first time, one of the musicians had to turn Beethoven around because he couldn't hear the raucous applause that was coming from behind him.

Flash forward to the last 10 years or so. Edward Lodewijk (Ludwig) Van Halen from many accounts, has been hitting the Smoking Loon pretty hard, from what I've seen, wears pretty ratty clothes, he has written very little music, at least not much that has been published. He's been made fun of in public (Internet).

So what I'm getting at, is the best yet to come from Ed? Does he have a masterpiece up his sleeve that is going to blow the world away? Is he Beethoven reincarnated? I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, but the similarities are so many that I had to throw it in there.

Discuss!

IMO, I still think Ed is going to blow the world away with something before it's all over. I consider him the Beethoven of the Rock and Roll world anyway, and I believe that the best is yet to come. Let's just hope he doesn't die at 57 like Beethoven did.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I see the similarity and the tie to prophetic incarnations, but don't see the reality of it. Beethoven had brilliance in 20 minute compositions that had complexities intermingled throughout that were awe inspiring. His method and platform provided and invited second chances. Ed's a different plant. His brilliance was entrenched within his own complex simplicity, which he's been far removed from and will probably not rediscover.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

ARMBI...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Beethoven couldn't keep a lead singer either.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Last Online

10.12.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What could ED do that would blow the world away? Another "Up for breakfast" sure isn't going to do it.

The only thing he could do would be to do an instrumental album that had some cool stuff in it, but that's not ED's style and I don't think he has the chops for it any more.

You see, unlike Beethoven ED actualy has to play what he writes.

P.S. Beethoven's greatest song is "Moonlight Sonata", IMO.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
    LMAO..

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
    It's a damn good thing that I wasn't taking a drink of something when I read that!

He was probably tired of the Sven Vs. Hans discussions

Quote Originally Posted by TongueNGroove

P.S. Beethoven's greatest song is "Moonlight Sonata", IMO.
    It is my favorite Beethoven composition as well. As far as the big name composers go, Beethoven is the only one that really interests me. I don't know why, but there's something about his music that moves me, where the other composers in that same relative time frame leave me pretty flat.

Maybe my thinking was stupid yesterday. I just thought the comparisons were interesting. I thought I would get more debate out of the original post than I did and maybe even start a little Wolfgang Vs. Ludwig debate.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I think that we've become so desensitized to everything (including music)that it would be next to impossible for Ed to "blow us away" musically. And, let's think, he already has blown us away musically in 1978...and then again in '79,....and then again in '80,...and, well you get my point.
    I know that Eddie still has great music still in him, and perhaps even a masterpiece. It makes you wonder if we'll ever hear it. For all we know it's in the vault right now as we speak.
    But I've often thought that many bands have their "Stairway," but I'm not sure that Van Halen does. And, like I said, if they do, it's probably half-finished and sitting in the vault with the other gems.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

A part of me thinks that Eddie is in his studio working up his chops. Slaving away trying to prove to the naysayers that he has something left. However truth of the matter is that he probably picks up Wolfgang from school and then jams with him a couple of days a week. They put stuff down to tape and that is about it. Maybe every month Alex comes over and jams with Wolfy singing and playing bass. I don't think it gets much more serious then that.

Last Online

11.04.07 @ 01:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beethoven's 9th still sounds fresh and different while working within the classical music structure. You could say the same thing about Mozart's last symphonies. They're familiar, but different. I'm not sure if the "best" of EVH has arrived or not. But I hope that there's something "different" on the horizon.

Regardless of the differences in style, if Eddie plans to release any new music, I hope that he takes it as seriously as Ludwig and Wolfie took their last symphonies. If he does, the new music will definitely stand the test of time.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I love Ed's music but comparing him to Beethoven?
    Ed's style has always been about immediate gratification, high tempo adrenalin and, when he was at his best, he was able to spellbind listeners, not only with his technique, which for me was secondary, but with his vision.
    "Eruption" was something the rock electric world had never heard, it completely changed the landscape. This will be his legacy, coupled with the fact he was able to write a great tune that EVERYBODY could relate to, "Jump" and maybe "Right now".
    Ed's glory days have alas passed. Every musician knows that to sustain a thought through even just 16 bars of music requires great concentration and immense talent. Listen to "It's about time". The solo is a chop shop of various ideas, not because he hasn't got the fingers but (IMHO) he cannot string two coherent thoughts together anymore. Alcohol will do this.
    I challenge anyone to look at the scores of Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms etc and not be dumbfounded at how long their vision was, to be able to reproduce, reinvent, subvert and embellish ideas to that extent is quite simply extraordinary.
    At worst, Eddie was a technical freak show and at the very best, an extremely talented man whose music played second fiddle to his own demons, regardless ofwhat his public proclamations are.
    The sadness is almost touchable and the waste .....?
    Well, just think of Jaco Pastorius. I do believe his middle name was inconsistency and eventual decline.
    In a ratio of potential vs productivity...... do the maths.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/