01.23.14 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rep. Kennedy's Car Crashes Near Capitol

Rep. Kennedy's Car Crashes Near Capitol
    Officers Accuse Supervisors of Preventing Thorough Investigation

By Del Quentin Wilber and Allan Lengel
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, May 5, 2006; Page A01

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy crashed his car into a security barrier near the Capitol early yesterday, and officers at the scene suspected that he might have been intoxicated, a police union official said.

Kennedy (D-R.I.) issued a statement late last night -- his second in several hours -- saying he had been disoriented after taking prescription drugs: Phenergan for gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, and Ambien, a sleeping medication.

Rep. Patrick Kennedy said he hadn't been drinking before the accident.

"Following the last series of votes on Wednesday evening, I returned to my home on Capitol Hill and took the prescribed amount" of the two medications, the 38-year-old congressman said.

"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," the statement continued. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication. . . . At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol."

Kennedy, a six-term congressman, said that Capitol Police officers told him to park his Ford Mustang and drove him home. "At no time did I ask for any special consideration," the statement said. "I simply complied with what the officers asked me to do."

Lou Cannon, president of the D.C. Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 1, expressed skepticism.

"The timeliness of the statement says everything," he said. "It took up to 10 o clock," or 19 hours after the 2:50 a.m. incident, to offer the expanded explanation.

U.S. Capitol Police released few details and would not even confirm that Kennedy had been in the accident in the 100 block of C Street SE, outside the Cannon House Office Building.

Within hours of the crash, however, the union representing Capitol Police officers provided its version of events and suggested that Kennedy, the son of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), had received special treatment.

Earlier yesterday, Cannon said officers at the scene thought Kennedy was staggering and might have been intoxicated. They called for supervisors over the radio, and the supervisors drove Kennedy home, he said.

Cannon said officers were upset that supervisors prevented them from conducting a more thorough investigation, which might have included sobriety tests. "The officers just want to be able to do their jobs," he said.

He said if officers had administered a breath test for alcohol, "that certainly would have showed he wasn't on anything, wouldn't it?"

Police sources said officers noticed Kennedy's Mustang shortly before the crash because he nearly drove head-on into a Capitol Police car. The Mustang's lights were off, the sources said. The officer turned his patrol car around to pursue Kennedy, whose car then crashed into the barrier, the sources said.

When police approached, the sources said, Kennedy got out of his car and said he was late for a vote. The House had not been in session for hours.

Cannon said the union's bargaining committee delivered a letter yesterday to acting Capitol Police Chief Christopher M. McGaffin protesting the handling of the matter.

Terrance W. Gainer, who recently stepped down as chief, said he had spoken to some officers who were upset about the incident.

"It's always a tough situation when an officer has to take law enforcement action with members of Congress," Gainer said. "But the rules are very clear. If there's a violation of the law, you treat everybody equally."

In his first prepared statement, issued about 6 p.m., Kennedy simply confirmed the accident and said that he hadn't consumed alcohol and that he planned to cooperate with police in any investigation.

In his statement late last night, the congressman added that he had "contacted the Chief of the Capitol police and offered to meet with police representatives at their earliest convenience."

Who keeps putting these Kennedys in office? Do they really think we are stupid enough to think he was not drinking? That's what he is saying by giving us this load of crap.
    Last edited by map57; 05.05.06 at 06:03 AM.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the officers thought he was intoxicated as opposed to being under the influence of a narcotic, it was because they could smell it on him at least that's what the difference would be to me. I think the police are pretty good at that sort of thing, determining what's going on with a person who crashes a car.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by map57
    [I]"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," the statement continued.
    Totally believeable.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Fuck the Kennedy's...

Yeah, I wish my last name was Kennedy then I would've never gotten a DWI... It would've been the pills or something else to blame...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Kennedy (D-R.I.) issued a statement late last night -- his second in several hours -- saying he had been disoriented after taking prescription drugs: Phenergan for gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, and Ambien, a sleeping medication.

"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," the statement continued. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication. . . . At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol."
    Okay, I have taken Ambien and here's what I'm thinking:

It was hard enough for me to operate my damn keyboard on that stuff, let alone get behind the wheel of a car. Stupid sonofabitch.

Is this tool related to the "Kennedy's"? That would explain a lot.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking

Is this tool related to the "Kennedy's"? That would explain a lot.
    Famous Ted's son as a matter of fact.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah when I read the title of this thread I was sure it was ol' Teddy. A bit of over-explaining seems to be going on and the politician in him is taking over.

Getting behind the wheel at 2:45 in the a.m. after taking meds makes perfect sense. It's almost surprising that the po-po's didn't breathalyze him on-site.

Cover up to me.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

The question is did he have a relative of Mary Jo Kopechne in his Olds?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Yeah when I read the title of this thread I was sure it was ol' Teddy. A bit of over-explaining seems to be going on and the politician in him is taking over.

Getting behind the wheel at 2:45 in the a.m. after taking meds makes perfect sense. It's almost surprising that the po-po's didn't breathalyze him on-site.

Cover up to me.

No doubt if this was one of us we would be behind bars.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yep, sittin in the ol' drunk tank with a nice hangover fo sho.

Must be nice to be a politician and get that kinda treatment. There s/b penalties for that kinda conduct. Not a great showing for a senator.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This guy has serious issues. What an incredible Congressional example he makes, huh?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Famous Ted's son as a matter of fact.
    Like Father, like Son, eh? He's 39 and he's already a 6 term Congressman? I swear those people in the New England states would vote for a Kennedy that was still in pre-school if they let them.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Like Father, like Son, eh? He's 39 and he's already a 6 term Congressman? I swear those people in the New England states would vote for a Kennedy that was still in pre-school if they let them.
    Exactly.....I know there are people in the south we are not proud of, but we get rid of them. (ex. Howell Heflin) Most people in the south don't even claim Jimmy Carter anymore. Al Gore couldn't even win his home state in the election. If he had won Tennessee, he would have been president. I'm not saying we would be worse off, but there must have been a reason they didn't vote for him.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I'm sure dad raised a glass and gave him a hearty "atta boy!"