Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default What were you doing at the time THAT news broke???

I couldn't find any similar threads so I thought I'd start this thread to see if you remember what you were doing at the time major news items broke. Please try to keep them brief rather than write whole pages on each one.

For me:
    - 9/11 - Was just about to call it a night when a news flash came on at about 11pm Sydney time. I spent the rest of the night until early hours of the morning watching.
    - Princess Diana's death- was working a weekend shift (i'm pretty sure it was the weekend). Someone emailed me to tell me the news and I gave it to them for pulling my leg. Then I heard it on the news about half-an-hour later.
    - Landing on the moon .... (I'm not that old)
    - London bombings last year - was watching coverage of a one-day cricket match between Australia and England and during a channel flick saw the news flash.
    - Strathfield Shopping Mall Massacre, here in Sydney - I was listening to a football game on the radio when the commentators starting releasing the news.
    - Don Bradman passed away (australian sporting icon) - Was driving to work in the morning and heard it on the radio.

More to come....
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

9/11- got a call from my girlfriend asking what im doing. sleeping, i said. well go turn your tv. someone bombed the WTC! i ran into the den flipped on the tele just in time to see the second plane hit the twin towers. i hung up and didnt move from the tv all day.

Challenger explosion: 3rd period spanish 1.

Columbia burning up: getting ready to go ride motocross and saw it on the news.

assassination attempt of Pres Reagan: 5th grade English class

assassination of Anwar Sadat: in my living room celebrating my dad's b-day. came on the news.

assassination attempt of Pope John Paul II: at home watching the news.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Lets see here....

9-11: I was in my 8th grade math class watching it all happen on TV. I had seen some of it before I went to school that day but didnt think anything of it until I saw the towers actually fall. There practically wasnt any class goin on that day because all the tvs were on the news.

Colombia Explostion: I was at home but on my way to my sisters basketball game. Couldnt believe my eyes
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

911 - I was not feeling well so I was in bed. My girlfriend at the time had paged me like 50 time. I finally just shut my pager off. When I woke up I caleld back and she told me whaty had happened. Total shock.

Columbia Explosion - I was a Jr in High School, sat and watched it on TV in class.

Princess Dianna's death - I was heading to Eastern WA to go duck hunting when I heard it on the radio.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    Columbia Explosion - I was a Jr in High School, sat and watched it on TV in class.
    OLO, either you are the oldest "Super-Senior" I have ever met or you got Colombia and Challenger mixed up haha. Colombia only happened a couple of years ago and your what 30 somethin?
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Oooops I ment Challenger. I am a very young 37.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

9/11 - The breaking news here came through around 11pm. Because there was nothing decent on TV that night and cause I had to get up early next morning for work, decided to go bed early that night. When I woke up at 6am (7 hours after the attack) I had to log-on the PC to check my emails. I had my local newspaper website as my homepage and as it was loading, Mum came rushing into my room frantically telling me to come into their room where both my folks were listening to early morning radio news. Dad was yelling out through the walls that a plane crashed into the WTC and my first impression was that it was accident, remembering that an airplane crashed into the Empire State Building in the 1950s. Then when I came into their room and he said that another plane hit the Pentagon, it just blew my mind. Went back to my room and looked on my homepage and they showed pictures of the Twin Towers on fire, not collapsed. On the train to work, was reading the whole story in the newspapers and my co-worker said he was up all the night glued to the TV set. Spent all day with IT guys, as they had a TV watching the whole story and as had very little work to do, Bush's live speech came on and one the guys was giving me a whole biographical run-down on Bin Laden, who I obviously never heard of before.

Princess Diana's death - It was on the weekend as was home sick with a stomach bug. Towards early afternoon, decided to watch some videos when I turned on the TV and there was a newsflash that Diana and Dodi were in a tragic car crash in Paris and that both Dodi and the driver were instantly killed. Diana was said to have been rushed to hospital with injuries. My immediate reaction was some shock but thought Diana would be okay, so decided to watch some episodes of Fawlty Towers. When they finished, the newsflash then said Diana had died. I couldn't believe it and began ringing a few people, including my best mate who is English, and they were all well aware of it.

JFK assassination - Being too young for this, my Dad has told me that he was at home listening to radio on a Saturday early afternoon when newsflash came through that JFK had been shot dead and they were all very upset over it. Even said that few days later he saw on live television that Lee Harvey Oswald was shot dead.

Pope John Paul II's death - Had just been retrenched from my job and had big night out with all my work mates. Next morning woke up and heard the Pope was gravely ill and may not get any better. Was catching most of the live broadcasts throughout most of that day and night. Within 24 hours it was announced that he had passed away. Very emotional.
    Last edited by Rovus; 04.27.06 at 09:27 PM.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Elvis' Death, Aug. 16th, 1977: Me and my Mom were getting our new house ready to move into. When we got done with the house and got into the car the battery was dead. I had to run to the nearest neighbors house which was about a mile away to call my Mom's best friend and have them come to get us. When we got to their house, I sat down in the kitchen and my brother came up to me and told me that Elvis was dead.

Space Shuttle Challenger, Jan ?, 1986:
    I had just come down stairs and turned the TV on when the Space Shuttle blew up. I said something like "Oh SHIT!" and my Dad came out of the bedroom and asked me "What's going on?", and I told him, "I think the Space Shuttle just blew up."

OKC Bombing: Sitting at home watching TV. Later on that night when I went to work, we were joking that two guys that happened to be gone that night looked a lot like the guys in the sketches.

9-11-01: I was sitting on the couch practicing some classical guitar when my best friend called and asked if I was watching TV. I said that I wasn't, and he said "Well, turn it on! The Trade Center buildings are gone, the Pentagon has been hit, etc." I turned it on and watched the replays over and over until I was so pissed off I couldn't watch TV anymore.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

9/11 - It was a day off from computer school so I'd slept in until around 9:00am. I turned on the radio and there was still news on, which ends at nine, and then someone says that the President has been flown to a base in the midwest and he's now in an underground bunker. I almost shit myself because that's protocol for a nuclear war, so I raced out to the living room and turned on the T.V. and pretty much stayed in front of it for three days.

Moon Landing - My granfather let my brother and I sleep out in front of the T.V. so that we wouldn't miss it. Then, after they closed out there transmition and went back inside, we all ent out into the backyard and looked up at the moon. It was really special because my grandfather was born before powered flight and this was a big deal for him.

Loma Prieta Quake, 10/17/1989 - I was on the highway on my way home and as I was passing the Army base my truck felt like it had been belted by a powerful gust of wind, like about a 75mph gust of wind. I was all I could do to keep my truck in my own lane. I looked down the highway and cars were swerving and the row of Cypress Trees in the center divide were swaying like they were in a hurricane. Then it all stopped and I kept going. I didn't have a radio in my truck so Ihad no contact with the outside world. The next thing I see are cars pulling over on the side of the road and drivers getting out to inspect their tires. No I'm thinking that someone has dropped a box of nails on the highway and now I need four new tires. I take my hand off the wheel but my truck drives true so I know my tires are fine. Somewhere along the way I think that maybe it was an earthquake.

When I get home, everyone in the neighborhood is out in the street. I get to my house and the neighbor ladies are talking to eachother, they ask me if I felt the quake, I say yes and ask if that's why everyone is out in the street. They said "Yep". I asked "Was it that bad?" and they look at me and tell me to go inside and look at my house. My house is trashed, all the drawers are open, cabinets are open and emptied. All the books in my room are on the floor. I'm standing in the living room when the first 6.1 aftershock hits, FOOM! It's like I'm in a small boat in rough seas, I walk calmly to the door and look out and I can see the rooftops of the houses rising and falling like boat moored in a marina.

Wild day.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Lets see here....

9-11: I was in my 8th grade math class watching it all happen on TV. I had seen some of it before I went to school that day but didnt think anything of it until I saw the towers actually fall. There practically wasnt any class goin on that day because all the tvs were on the news.

Colombia Explostion: I was at home but on my way to my sisters basketball game. Couldnt believe my eyes
    I was a junior in high school on 9/11 and it was picture day. I had just gotten my picture taken when i was told and a few of us sat in the cafeteria for a while an watched it before going back to class. but unlike your school...ours made us turn off the tv and pretend nothing was happening.

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

9-11: had a dream about explosions the night before... went to work and everyone had their radios tuned into the news... a person told me that the Twin Towers were hit with planes.

Moon Landing: I was born during the time they were on the moon.

Elvis' death: I was watching a John Wayne movie and the news came on about his death. I shouted to my mom, and she came to the living room and she dropped to the floor, crying.

John Lennon's death: it was a cold winter and I was listening to the music on my radio... the DJ interrupted the music and informed the listeners of his death... he was crying, choking on his tears. When I told my mom, she wept like I've never seen her cry before... more so than Elvis.

Challenger Explosion: finished my final exam for Chemisty and was at the Dairy Queen with two of my friends and the news came on.

Princess Diana's death: I came home from college and turned on the TV to find the news in progress... what a devastating loss.

Every time my wife and I would talk about a celebrity or a person of importance, within a few days, that person would die. So we made a promise to never talk about people we admired... to kill the curse.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, except when I was on the school bus and a friend of mine told me that David Lee Roth "left" Van Halen. I was devastated. A few months later, my friends and I talked about who would be the lead singer... when I mentioned Sammy Hagar, they all laughed at me. As well, I told them maybe Rik Emmett, Jon Bon Jovi, or Joe Elliott, they laughed even more.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

i don't think anyone can forget where they were when 9/11 happened. I was in my first peroid class, lesson had ended and we had about 30 - 45 minutes left and I was in the back of the classroom with a guitar trying to impress a few of the girls in there. It was very strangebecause I was playing James Taylor's Fire & Rain and had just finished up the verse "well theres hours of time on the telephone line talking about things to come, sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground" when the phone rang telling the teacher to turn on the TV. It was just so out there that I was at that point in the song when we got the news to turn on the TV that it freaked me and alot of people who were listening out. Spent the rest of the day watching it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

9/11/01-I was in bed getting up for work when I heard the news of a plane crashing into the Tower and thought, "Wow, that's pretty crazy shit!"

Next thing I know, I get to work and hear about what is really going on and am speechless to say the least.

Challenger Explosion-I'm in the 6th Grade and our teacher tells us about it in the morning. Nonetheless, a pretty fucked up day for a lot of the kids but not me. The concept of not living hasn't really registered yet as a concept...

Nisqually Earthquake (Local Shit)-I'm in bed with my fiance at the time and wake up to the earth shaking like hell. Me being a dumbass getting my natural disasters confused run towards the bathtub like it's a freakin' tornado. We end up laughing while we're going through the 45 second quake...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

9/11 - I was sick and didn't go to work that day. And because I live on the West Coast, we didn't hear about it until my parents called us around 8:00 AM, so 11 in New York. Turned on the news, saw the buildings on fire, and then 2 minutes later the first one fell. My wife and I just sat there...surreal.

Challenger Explosion - In 9th grade English class, came over the PA. Later they brought a TV in and let us watch the news about it.

Princess Diana's death - Hmmm....I don't know, not really a big deal to me for some reason. I think we were out at a bar playing darts with some friends and it came on the TV there.

John Lennon's death - Came home from school and my mother told me...I think she was actually crying. I didn't fully realize the impact of the Beatles back then, I was only 9.

Northridge Quake in '94 - Sleeping in my bed, it was 4:31 AM. I thought the world was ending, I ran out of my room as all my bookcases fell over, I heard all of the bottles smashing to the ground in my parents' bar. The noise and shaking was something so violent, I thought for sure the house was gonna come down, it just would not stop. One of my EVH Music Man guitars has a huge gash in it from where something fell on it, so everytime I look at it, I am always reminded. I walked outside, and the force of the quake had thrown my car up onto the curb. Also we didn't have power for 3 days, so it was eery to see all the clocks stopped at 4:31.

OKC Bombing - I was at work, someone came in and told me about it and we watched the coverage on TV in our conference room.

OJ Verdict - Yes in LA, this was a very big deal, the fucking world stopped for this stupid case. Watched it on TV again at work.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

9/11
    a day i'll never forget. first of all it is my wedding anniversary, so we were making plans for the evening.
    while at work, my coworker was listening to the radio and asked if i could hear what was being said, i was in the office working on the computer. i told him no and he tells me that a plane had crashed into the world trade center. i flipped on the tv in time to see the second plane hit. the world seem to stop that day. eveyone glued to tvs and radios and trying to contact loved ones. i work for time warner cable and since we have our headquarters there, there was chaos. i also happen to work near the airport. have gotten used to hearing air traffic all day. it was very eery to not hear planes take off and land for days! we all watched the collapse of both buildings and heard of the pentagon and pennsylvania attacks. we didn't know was going to happen next. strange and scary day. i had called the wife and asked if she still wanted to go out. she didn't feel like it and really neither did i. we ended up huddle on the couch watching this all unfold into the night.
    we went out the following night to our favorite and usually very busy resturant. it was dead! then the waiter had told us that if we were to come in that friday and eat that 100% of that days totals were going to 9/11. we had no doubts that we were going back.

it puts a dark shadow on what was a good memory for the both of us.

an yet bin laden still walks the earth.......