Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default Ever plant Sod?

I am thinking of planting a small lawn in the front yard. I dont wish to wait for grass to grow, I want it now!!! Its going to be small maybe 400 to 500 sq ft. Has anyone ever planted sod?? Do you have to do much to the soil before you lay the sod? Is sod expensive? How long till I can mow it? Any help is appreciated.

My next post will be what lawn mower shoud I get.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

A few questions:

Is your front yard full of concrete? The concrete will have to be removed in order for the grass to grow.

Do you live in an apartment, perhaps on the second floor? This idea of a sodded yard may not agree with your neighbors living below you, who may or may not park their car there.

It's a forgone conclusion if you believe that your riding lawnmower will be met by approval by your other neighbors as you run up and down the halls on it.

Glad I could help, or at least start a dialoge(sp).

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Those were all concerns. Thanks
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quite frankly? The hurricanes last year ripped out two huge trees on my mom's front yard...enough to take out part of the driveway as well as the dry earth around it.

Point? I ain't the only one down here. Prices are extremely high as a result when one decides to replace sod, as in availability (let alone the cock-suckers that want to sell it over-priced...) is dicey.

Think of this first:

What are you replacing? Is it a rocky front yard, is it natural...will replacing this wind up costing you more money and effort to keep it maintained? Will your water bill dramatically increase, for a start. Do your neighbors have failed lawns that will hamper yours? Are you prepared to accept the responsibility of caring for this lawn, and tending to it (that sounds melodramatic and odd, yet trust me... )?

There honestly is much to consider.

Lay out (with more specificity) your yard...words if not diagrams.

I'm certain folk will help.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04.26.06 at 08:08 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Bro, you're going to want to till the existing soil then put down about 2-4 inches (depending on the current soils nutrient level, but minimum 2 inches of NEW soil) of top soil. After that, you're going to want to get a manual roller (or you being in construction perhaps you know of a lite steam roller you could garner?) to even it out. After that you just put the sod on and water it. Boom. Lawn. I've done it and it comes out pretty good. In fact, I'll probably need to do it again here either in the fall or next spring. Do it now. It's a good time of year to take up such ventures.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Thanks Seen. Thats what I was looking for. I will till the area this weekend and look into having some top soil dropped off.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I installed sod front and back about 6 months ago, but before I did, I put in a 30 head + drip, 8 zone sprinkler system. I rented a little ditch witch tractor from Home Depot to dig the trenches. I did not do anything to prep the dirt. Some people put manure down and rake it out before the sod gets rolled on, but I never do. Just water it, and in a month, lightly fertilize.

There is an alternative though....

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

that's what we need!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the dirt side faces down.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    Bro, you're going to want to till the existing soil then put down about 2-4 inches (depending on the current soils nutrient level, but minimum 2 inches of NEW soil) of top soil. After that, you're going to want to get a manual roller (or you being in construction perhaps you know of a lite steam roller you could garner?) to even it out. After that you just put the sod on and water it. Boom. Lawn. I've done it and it comes out pretty good. In fact, I'll probably need to do it again here either in the fall or next spring. Do it now. It's a good time of year to take up such ventures.

Ditto. I put down 5 pallets in October last year. It was new construction so I didn't have to till or anything. I did put down a lite salting of all purpose fertilizer beforehand as well. Price was about $100/pallet with a pallet covering about 500 SF. I did the rolls as opposed to squares. The rolls were 18"wide & 80" long. I think it went faster but it was tough on my back. They were 50 lbs each. First couple of rolls you think man, no problem. Halfway through the first pallet you're begging for hot pokers in your eyes to dull the pain from your back. Don't buy more than you can lay in a day or two. The heat will kill it on the pallet.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

After you put the new top soil down, don't forget to put down some fertilizer before putting the sod down. Then, don't forget to water the sod every day. If you don't, it'll dry up and die pretty fast.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My neighborhood is all new construction and I have gleefully watched the boys laying sod all around here. I posted pics in the chick thread if that will help you.

Seriously, laying sod is easy enough. Prepare your soil as noted above, lay the sod, then water the piss out of it for at least 20 days. I've seen my neighbors mow as soon as 2 weeks, although I think the longer you wait the better. You don't want to have the seems come apart (don't let anyone walk on it for a while either). Also, you may want to be sure to have the seems barely overlap when you're laying it. It shrinks a bit as it settles. Watering it like crazy will help with this, too.

Better yet, Smoke needs a win. Have him come out and lay you.You can do it. We can help. Home Depot.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Preparation, preparation, preparation! Some extra time at the front end will save you hours and hours of pain and aggrevation later on. Make sure every rock is out of there no matter how small. Someone already mentioned using a roto-tiller. Do it! Add some nice soil and fertilizer and then lay the sod. And as mentioned, keep it soaked for at least 3 weeks. One tip I was given that worked really well was to soak the ground before laying the sod. Essentially I was laying the sod on a layer of mud and it was pretty messy but the sod seemed to suction cup itself to the ground.

Take pictures at every stage so we can follow along and laugh a bit!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hydra-seeding works really well too, I've had that done before. Still have to spred about 2" of topsoil for that, too, but it saves the trouble and back pain of laying the sod. It's cheaper, too, I think. Grass fills in within 2-3 weeks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

About a dozen years ago an employee of mine claimed he would prep my new yard for sod. I was busy and decided to let him do his thing. He seemed confident he would get it done in time for a 2pm load of sod. I came back at 1pm to see what he'd done, and to my amazement, he was untangling coax from a roto-tiller that he had been plowing up the dirt with. I just thought he was going to lightly rake the weeds off and the rocks out, but he was full bore in farming mode! The sod truck arrived and the driver scratched his head and refused to drop the sod they were going to lay because of the roto-tilling. The tilling changed the grade and left it all lumpy. I knew I'd be raking it flat for a week and watering the dirt to disolve the air pockets that num-nuts had created with his bright idea of roto-tilling. The neighbors started speaking to me again after 2 days without cable TV. I'm surprised this guy didn't hit the electrical line 18 inches down. He was goin' to town! You may not want to use a roto-tiller. Less is more.