Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Bottle Deposit Refunds, Taxable Income!?!

Did anyone else use Turbotax? There was one thing in particular that caught my attention. There was a place in the income portion where you were making note of misc. money you received. They had a line for money received from recycling.

I just wanted to get this straight.... I pay a DEPOSIT (required by the state) and then when I try to get my DEPOSIT back they tax me on it?!?!?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Surely you're kidding me...
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Maybe it's meant only for homeless people who scrounge bottles they didn't buy to return for beer money?

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well refunds for deposits are not taxable income in Canada. It would be a wash transaction because a deposit was paid and it was reimbursed. Maybe there's certain situations when it is taxable... never seen it before, tho.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

oh shit......I hope the IRS doesn't find out about my drinking habits!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    Did anyone else use Turbotax? There was one thing in particular that caught my attention. There was a place in the income portion where you were making note of misc. money you received. They had a line for money received from recycling.

I just wanted to get this straight.... I pay a DEPOSIT (required by the state) and then when I try to get my DEPOSIT back they tax me on it?!?!?
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to check into it, but I seriously doubt it in that case. I know in Michigan we paid a 10 cent deposit and Oregon it was 5 cents. If you pay it in the first place and then get it back, you break even, you're not actually making a profit from it.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have read about this in a few spots in the past. It is not meant for people who pay the deposit and then return the bottle and get the deposit back. It is geared towards people, organizations or charities that collect bottles and turn them in for the refund without having paid the deposit in the first place. We have a charity around here that asks for people to donate their empty beer bottles. They in turn return them and get the deposit for their charity. This would be an instance where it was an income. I can't imagine anyone actually filling in that part of the tax form unless they are actually making significant income from this. Not sure how the laws vary from country to country or state to state but that is just one of those useless tid-bits of information that is rattling around in my head for no apparent reason.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

How about this for state income tax I never quit understood. I make X amount this year. Now all through out the year the state takes out taxes that total 1500.00. I am only required to pay 1000.00 in taxes so I get a 500.00 refund. Now next year when I do my taxes I have to include that as income. What I don't get is it was income that I made and was taxed on and taken from me all year, Kept by the state and than I am taxed on it again. I probably won't ever understand it so I have changed my deductions so the state only gets what is required.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Even if it is taxable, who would put that on their income tax return? It's not like we're talking large amounts of dollars here.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman
    How about this for state income tax I never quit understood. I make X amount this year. Now all through out the year the state takes out taxes that total 1500.00. I am only required to pay 1000.00 in taxes so I get a 500.00 refund. Now next year when I do my taxes I have to include that as income. What I don't get is it was income that I made and was taxed on and taken from me all year, Kept by the state and than I am taxed on it again. I probably won't ever understand it so I have changed my deductions so the state only gets what is required.
    If you itemize state tax withholding on your Federal Return and you get a State Refund for that year, the State Refund becomes taxable income on your Federal Return the next year. You are not taxed again by the State.
    And, yes, the income from recycling is taxable if you did not pay the deposit in the first place and "made" 5 cents or whatever by returning it. Its meant fro people and/or originazations who can make hundreds or thousands by collecting other people's bottles and turning it into profit.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    If you itemize state tax withholding on your Federal Return and you get a State Refund for that year, the State Refund becomes taxable income on your Federal Return the next year. You are not taxed again by the State.
    And, yes, the income from recycling is taxable if you did not pay the deposit in the first place and "made" 5 cents or whatever by returning it. Its meant fro people and/or originazations who can make hundreds or thousands by collecting other people's bottles and turning it into profit.
    I never really thought about the people that go around and collect the cans. Doh!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)