Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default NBC's Dateline Caught in New Scandal

Slowly—ever so slowly—a new mainstream news media scandal is being exposed by members of the so-called new media. This time it’s NBC News’s “Dateline” which is being investigated for allegedly creating news rather than reporting news.

According to producers at NBC News, the show is attempting to film Americans’ reaction to seeing Muslim men in their midst at public events. And, although they’ll never admit it, they’re pulling their stunt at events they believe will attract the most rednecks.

For instance, NBC sent a film crew with a group of “Muslim-looking men” to a NASCAR event in Virginia in order to film the reaction of the spectators. Apparently, NBC believes that’s where they’re likely to get a desired reaction from the bigots who attend NASCAR races. In the middle of a war on terrorism, NBC wants to show “Dateline” viewers that Americans are a bunch of bigots.

NASCAR officials called it “outrageous” that “Dateline” targeted its racetrack for a segment on anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States, according to Roanoke.com. One can’t help but wonder: if there is no reaction to having Muslim men walking around the NASCAR track, will NBC still show the segment on their show?

NASCAR reported that NBC confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans’ reactions. The NBC crew was “apparently on site in Martinsville, Va., walked around and no one bothered them,” according to NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston.

“It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC’s stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news,” Poston said.

“Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won’t take the bait,” he told Roanoke.com.

Mike Smith, public relations director for the Martinsville Speedway, stated that security officers noticed people who looked like Muslims near the site.

“There were some people [who] appeared to be Muslims near our main office. Our security [staff] was aware of them, and they were monitored the whole time they were there,” he said. “That was for their safety and for everyone’s safety.”

Smith said he did not know any details about the people or how many there were. They never went inside the facility but stayed near the main office, according to Roanoke.com.

“There were no disturbances and at some point they left,” he said.

Smith said Martinsville Speedway officials were unaware NBC was involved until Tuesday.

“We haven’t talked to anyone from ‘Dateline’,” he said Wednesday. “We’ve just heard through the grapevine that ‘Dateline’ was involved.”

“‘Dateline’ is looking into this story,” NBC said in a statement, according to conservative columnist and firebrand Michelle Malkin.

“We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States.

“It’s very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner,” the statement said.

So, the gist of the story is: NBC’s Dateline wanted to prove Americans harbor anti-Muslim sentiments, so NBC’s newspeople were using “undercover Muslims” to provide the evidence. And we, the public, have to trust that NBC will fairly edit the segment. If there’s no reaction, does anyone believe they’d air the segment?

What’s next? NBC using “undercover NASCAR fans” to simulate uneasiness or worse when they see a dark-skinned, bearded man?

This isn’t the first time NBC’s news division got caught with their fingers in the fabrication cookie jar: In 1993, NBC’s “Dateline” aired a story on exploding General Motors pickup trucks. The show alleged that the trucks were unsafe because upon impact they are liable to explode.

However, during their tests, they just couldn’t get the darn test truck to explode for the camera. So they hooked up some hidden explosives and staged the segment. NBC didn’t admit to the deception until threatened by a lawsuit and public ridicule.

When challenged over the accuracy of a test crash in the now famous Dateline NBC story on pickup trucks, NBC News President Michael Gartner avoided any admission of guilt: “We remain convinced that taken in its entirety and in its detail, the segment...was fair and accurate.”

Gartner insisted the “sparking” devices NBC hooked to the GM truck were to “simulate sparks which would occur in a collision,” so weren’t misleading.

The next day, at the conclusion of the February 9, 1993 Dateline NBC, the story changed. Jane Pauley conceded “that what we characterized in the November Dateline segment as an unscientific demonstration was inappropriate and does not support the position that GM CK trucks are defective, according to the Media Research Center.

Specifically, NBC’s contractor did put incendiary devices under the trucks to insure that there would be a fire if gasoline were released from the truck’s gas tank.” Added co-anchor Stone Phillips: “We deeply regret that we included the inappropriate demonstration in our Dateline report. We apologize to our viewers and to General Motors.”

How sorry was NBC? On March 2, 1993 the same day Gartner resigned over the GM story, the network announced it was hiring Michael Moore, the producer-star of the movie Roger & Me—a documentary that contained fabrications about GM, according to the Media Research Center.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone really consider Dateline a news program? Dateline is strictly entertainment with a jounalism tone. Sadly however, thats what most news stations have turned into. Entertaining sensationalism with little to no merit. What ever happened to simply informing the public? It used to be a pretty noble profession. Now it's no different than Hollywood.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The only news I watch these days is NBC nightly news. Not as biased as other broadcasts.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The corporate whore media has no interest in reporting the news, with few exceptions. Out of NBC network, CNBC, and MSNBC, there is only ONE program among all three channels where actual news is reported and treated with any validity.

And that would be "Countdown with Keith Olbermann". The rest of it is useless. The whores would love to get rid of him, but he's the top rated show on their network. The last time they axed a top rated show it was (surprise surprise) Phil Donahue, who also insisted on talking about the real news. And then they replaced him with Michael "savage" Weiner, a bastard so hateful even the corporate whores couldn't keep him on the air. Wonder how much money they lost on that deal?
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If they wanted to find anti-Muslem reactions they should have staked out the first-class lounge at JFK. Send in a Mohamed Atta look alike and see how many WASPS change flights.

NASCAR fans don't give a shit about anything but NASCR. If they see some Middle Eastern-looking guys at the track, all they're gonna think is "Cool, Ali Babba's into NASCAR too! Fuckin A!".

Dateline blows.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Ain't that the truth.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

....and in other news tonight, members of the Klu Klux Klan were abducted today at a white sale at JC Penneys.........
    Last edited by Darkstar; 04.19.06 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling disability
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    If they wanted to find anti-Muslem reactions they should have staked out the first-class lounge at JFK. Send in a Mohamed Atta look alike and see how many WASPS change flights.

NASCAR fans don't give a shit about anything but NASCR. If they see some Middle Eastern-looking guys at the track, all they're gonna think is "Cool, Ali Babba's into NASCAR too! Fuckin A!".

Dateline blows.
    I've been to a fair number of NASCAR races, and this is pretty much the case. There are biggots everywhere, and anybody with much color in their skin kinda stand out at a racetrack in the South, but by and large its a very accepting group of people. Its also much more diverse than people would imagine. Not tons of minorities, but they're there.

You're far more likely to offend somebody by insulting their driver than the color of your skin.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nitefly5150
    I've been to a fair number of NASCAR races, and this is pretty much the case. There are biggots everywhere, and anybody with much color in their skin kinda stand out at a racetrack in the South, but by and large its a very accepting group of people. Its also much more diverse than people would imagine. Not tons of minorities, but they're there.

You're far more likely to offend somebody by insulting their driver than the color of your skin.
    Exactly, couldn't agree more. Been to a few races at the Michigan Speedway and it's a good time. Not much ethnic diversity but people could care less. But look out if your driver crashs into somebody's else driver......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, It really just shows the bigtry of Nightline more than anything else.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD
    ... there is only ONE program among all three channels where actual news is reported and treated with any validity.

And that would be "Countdown with Keith Olbermann".

My buddy was just on that show. He's the TV reviewer for the Phoenix daily paper and talked about Katie Curick's move to CBS News.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

I couldn't stand Keith Olbermann when he was on ESPN, so I couldn't watch him now.

But he's not as irritating as Stuart Scott, I'll give him that.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I have but one use for Dateline, and that's when they bust online pedophiles on camera. I could watch hours of that.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've been to a fair number also, I was actually at Nashville this weekend for the Busch Series race and within my eye view were, of course the regular whiteys, 3 independent groups of african-americans, and a group of hispanics, and you are completely right, everyone at every NASCAR race i have been to are the most amicable people ive been around at pro sporting events. The hispanic group was in the row in front of me and my dad and we got into a conversation about Michael Waltrip cause he had on Mikey gear like I did, we wound up talking alot and the guys were cool as can be. (they were not illegals since that is a big topic, natural born citizens ) I cant speak for the other groups but all was calm...actually the only incident happened in the section beside us when two rednecks with a few too many got into an arguement about somethin and had a scrum...no doubtedly over a driver.

NASCAR may not be the biggest cultural melting pot, but I have never seen any behavior that us NASCAR fans from the south are accused of. I commend the folks in VA for not taking NBC's bait and wouldnt be surprised if NBC gets their "juicy details" in a non southern state...say Chicago, Kansas or Loudon.