Last Online

07.12.16 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sammy Hagar Interview on Billboard.com

Here's the interview:

Post-Van Halen Hagar Is 'Livin' It Up'

April 18, 2006, 10:45 AM ET

John Benson, Cleveland
    Sammy Hagar is gearing up for summer with a new album and a tour about to begin. Two years removed from a Van Halen reunion tour, the Red Rocker says he realized the importance of performing the band's classic material, so he's bringing VH bassist Michael Anthony out on the road for a nightly mid-set digression, billed as "The Other Half," into all things Van Hagar.

"We're really having fun with stuff and after the last Van Halen reunion, it doesn't feel much like that may ever happen again for all kinds of reasons," Hagar says. "But I just think I need to play those songs, the fans need to hear those songs and it's just unfair to let it sit and die."

Current plans call for Anthony to arrive on stage about an hour into the Hagar and Wabos (recently shortened from Waboritas) set with his legendary bass solo extravaganza, before the two Van Halen members jam for 60 minutes in a retrospective filled with hits and even a few obscure tunes. Hagar says the idea for "The Other Half" stems from last year's annual Cabo Wabo Cantina birthday party in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when Anthony showed up onstage unannounced.

As for his next studio album, dubbed "Livin' It Up," the 58-year-old artist says he's shopping it to labels. However, fans will hear about a half-dozen of the songs on the 36-date tour, which begins May 5 in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

"'Livin' it Up" is really a lifestyle record," Hagar says. "It's not a metal record at all. I would say it's more American country rock than heavy metal rock, which is the type of music I've always played from Montrose through Van Halen. My intention was to just make a real honest record."

Written over the past year at his home in Cabo San Lucas, the album features original songs such as "One Sip and You'll Surrender" and "The Way We Live," as well as a rocking honky-tonk cover of Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar" and his version of the Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There."

While Hagar's solo prospects appear bright, that's not the case with Van Halen.

"There were some real problems in the band," Hagar says, referring to the reunion tour. "I have to tell you, there were nights I didn't know what song Eddie [Van Halen] was playing. There were times I wanted to kill that guy for what he was playing. I would have left that tour in the middle of it if it wasn't for the professional aspect. He's never going to see my ass again unless he goes and gets himself some help."

I gotta agree with Sam on Eddie. I don't blame in at all!

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. Overall, I think Sam is a good guy. There's alot of VH fans that are 50/50 on the lead singer issue. I think it's very cool that he's at least considering the Roth era fans. I think he truly does care about his fans and VH fans abroad. I think it's very cool that Roth and Hagar could put differences aside and tour together a few years ago. I wish Ed would get help...he may not care about music and touring anymore, who knows....he has been through alot...but these guys aren't getting younger, and it seems that Hagar is really starting to embrace the quality of life, and Roth is being proactive too, even if everyone is critical. Who would have ever thought that the only people from Van Halen that wouldn't still have a proactive career...would be the Van Halen's?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

06.08.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I wish this fucker would just learn to say 'no comment' when it comes to the 04 tour.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by markp
    I wish this fucker would just learn to say 'no comment' when it comes to the 04 tour.
    Why? he did all that during the tour....the VH gestapo made sure of that...
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by servoguy101
    Why?
    Because it would be the prudent thing to do.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

Sometimes it's okay to tell somebody they're a dick, really.

Heck, it happens to me all the time. Why should Ed get a pass?

Ed...you were being a dick. I saw it firsthand in Las Vegas. Pull your head out of your ass and get a grip.

There, see? It's easy once you know how.

I can no longer maintain unknowing limbo is preferable to everybody keeping the dirty laundry in-house. I just can't.

If that's the way Ed wanted it, he should've done something about it. Besides, it's easy for the problem child to zip lips...doing otherwise means accepting responsibility or passing the blame buck.

Last Online

05.17.07 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan
    Here's the interview:

Post-Van Halen Hagar Is 'Livin' It Up'

April 18, 2006, 10:45 AM ET

John Benson, Cleveland
    Sammy Hagar is gearing up for summer with a new album and a tour about to begin. Two years removed from a Van Halen reunion tour, the Red Rocker says he realized the importance of performing the band's classic material, so he's bringing VH bassist Michael Anthony out on the road for a nightly mid-set digression, billed as "The Other Half," into all things Van Hagar.

"We're really having fun with stuff and after the last Van Halen reunion, it doesn't feel much like that may ever happen again for all kinds of reasons," Hagar says. "But I just think I need to play those songs, the fans need to hear those songs and it's just unfair to let it sit and die."

Current plans call for Anthony to arrive on stage about an hour into the Hagar and Wabos (recently shortened from Waboritas) set with his legendary bass solo extravaganza, before the two Van Halen members jam for 60 minutes in a retrospective filled with hits and even a few obscure tunes. Hagar says the idea for "The Other Half" stems from last year's annual Cabo Wabo Cantina birthday party in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when Anthony showed up onstage unannounced.

As for his next studio album, dubbed "Livin' It Up," the 58-year-old artist says he's shopping it to labels. However, fans will hear about a half-dozen of the songs on the 36-date tour, which begins May 5 in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

"'Livin' it Up" is really a lifestyle record," Hagar says. "It's not a metal record at all. I would say it's more American country rock than heavy metal rock, which is the type of music I've always played from Montrose through Van Halen. My intention was to just make a real honest record."

Written over the past year at his home in Cabo San Lucas, the album features original songs such as "One Sip and You'll Surrender" and "The Way We Live," as well as a rocking honky-tonk cover of Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar" and his version of the Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There."

While Hagar's solo prospects appear bright, that's not the case with Van Halen.

"There were some real problems in the band," Hagar says, referring to the reunion tour. "I have to tell you, there were nights I didn't know what song Eddie [Van Halen] was playing. There were times I wanted to kill that guy for what he was playing. I would have left that tour in the middle of it if it wasn't for the professional aspect. He's never going to see my ass again unless he goes and gets himself some help."

I gotta agree with Sam on Eddie. I don't blame in at all!
    Bullshit Sammy didn't stay out of professionalism!! He stayed because of the money, period. He stands to have a bigger payday with Van Halen than he ever would by himself
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI

Van Squalen is Cool!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Damn. Well, that's that with Van Hagar.

When's Cherone coming back?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 285 Times in 146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobalu
    Bullshit Sammy didn't stay out of professionalism!! He stayed because of the money, period. He stands to have a bigger payday with Van Halen than he ever would by himself
    Yes if Sammy speaks, it's a lie and BS. I guess if Dave said Ed needs help, then suddenly a whole faction of VH fans might start to agree on something??

To some, no matter what Sammy says is a lie. Like Sammy needs money??? Maybe he did it to not rip the fans off who (over) paid their good money to see them on the tour?? It's possible that someone in this band actually cares about the fans, right?

Last Online

07.17.06 @ 11:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah well I guess that signing every fucking thing that got thrown up on stage insted of singing the songs is his idea of professionalism.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Sometimes it's okay to tell somebody they're a dick, really.

Heck, it happens to me all the time. Why should Ed get a pass?

Ed...you were being a dick. I saw it firsthand in Las Vegas. Pull your head out of your ass and get a grip.

There, see? It's easy once you know how.

I can no longer maintain unknowing limbo is preferable to everybody keeping the dirty laundry in-house. I just can't.

If that's the way Ed wanted it, he should've done something about it. Besides, it's easy for the problem child to zip lips...doing otherwise means accepting responsibility or passing the blame buck.
    You saying Edward is a dick on a fan message board is very different than being a member of the band talking in a public forum but you knew that already. I for one would like to think maybe Edward and Al have learned something from past mistakes made throwing barbs at lead singers. It doesn't accomplish anything. And it is your right to want to know all the dirty laundry because we are curious what goes on behind the scenes. Doesn't mean it all has to be hung out as it's pretty tacky seeing someone's skid marks left in the underwear that the bleach didn't take out. Perhaps those and a few other unmentionables are better left on the shower rod to dry.......

You surprise me Squal. With your background it would seem that you would like for them to settle things with each other face to face, not in the press knowing as we've discussed before that it's only making future endeavors next to impossible.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lame.

I love the honesty.

If someone asks me a direct question, I give them a direct answer.

Who's Sam hurting my answering the question honestly?
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Why, so you could bash him for avoiding the question or covering something up?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
    Yeah well I guess that signing every fucking thing that got thrown up on stage insted of singing the songs is his idea of professionalism.
    Yeah, tell that to the fans who got something signed. I went to three VH shows in 04 (Greensboro, Louisville & Atlanta) and had no problem with him doing this. I take it as the same type thing as Dave "forgetting" the lyrics or making up lyrics as he goes sometimes. I guess it's all better than taking your talent and going home and not sharing it with the world for years upon end and depriving fans who love your music a chance to enjoy our talent. (Yes it's the talented individuals perogative to do this, I know, but at least Sammy is giving back to the fans.)

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

04.19.16 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

Default Interview

Thanks for sharing the interview, VH Fan.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR