Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang Whammy Bar Question

When I use the bar and let it swing freely, it makes a fairly loud creeking noise. There is also a lot of play where it screws into the bridge. I can rock it back and forth slightly while it is screwed in. Is this normal?? Would it hurt to but a lubricant ( Vasoline, WD40, etc. ) on the bar before screwing it in or will that damage the bridge??? Any thoughts would help.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Stuff the cavity with tissue paper or some sort of foam. If ya use a lubricant, the springs could "fly off" while using the bar.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans being
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If its the nut that the arm screws into, on the top of the bridge, that has the play in it, then you can just tighten from the back of the guitar in the trem cavity with the wrench. There is a spring washer in the nut assembly in the trem cavity which Peavey uses so that you can have some slack in the trem setup. If however it is the trem arm that has the play going into the nut on the front of the bridge then the thread may be worn - an old trick is to use 'plumbers mate' tape a -couple of turns round the arm and that can do the trick - other than that it would mean a new trem arm and possibly nut and collar assembly from peavey. Not sure about the 'creaking' tho' could be a couple of things. Failing that ask AJ on the Peavey forums. Hope that makes sense.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, It is the arm into the nut that has the play in it. I will try the tape and see if that works.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had the same problem.

The arm has A LOT of play in it. Brand new. And the screw in the back of the bridge directly behind the collar does absolutely nothing. In fact, I have that screw completely out right now with no difference. Electrical tape is too think, tissue paper won't allow it to swing.

I've had nothing but bad experience from a Floyd...I'll stick with my trusty and far superior Kahler!
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I solved this problem by inserting a thin washer around the threaded part of the post before tightening down the bar nut so that the whole assembly sits just *that* much higher and the bar swings freely but has a minimal amount of play. Without the washer, if you tighten down on that nut, you'll lock the bar down so you can't swing it around. The trick is getting just enough play with that washer so that the bar will move but you can tighten that nut down really tight.

Yes, you can remove that screw in the back ... its there if you want to tighten down the bar into 1 position.

I grease the part of the bar that inserts into the main body of the Floyd with a combination of axle grease & graphite (don't ask why I used axle grease ... it was just there in the garage so I used it). a small amount goes a long way. I grease that insert maybe once a year and even that isn't necessary.
    White lithium grease works well too. Dry lube alone usually wears down quickly for me.

Good luck

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the bar on the wolfgang trem is supposed to have to wobble/looeness to it just like eddies floyds do. they re intentionally set up that way.

you can buy a bushing/screw/arm assembly for a floyed rose and retrofit it onto a wolfgang floyd to solve the problem.
    Last edited by Rick S; 04.17.06 at 03:44 PM.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranztek
    If its the nut that the arm screws into, on the top of the bridge, that has the play in it, then you can just tighten from the back of the guitar in the trem cavity with the wrench. There is a spring washer in the nut assembly in the trem cavity which Peavey uses so that you can have some slack in the trem setup. If however it is the trem arm that has the play going into the nut on the front of the bridge then the thread may be worn - an old trick is to use 'plumbers mate' tape a -couple of turns round the arm and that can do the trick - other than that it would mean a new trem arm and possibly nut and collar assembly from peavey. Not sure about the 'creaking' tho' could be a couple of things. Failing that ask AJ on the Peavey forums. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Tranztek, I tried the plumbers tape on the bar and it works like a charm, no creaking sound now. It still has some play but feels great.

I now have a one way ticket to Dive Bomb City and I'm not turning back !!!
    Last edited by spw5150; 04.17.06 at 09:50 PM.