Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Default SILVERTIDE Frontman Talks About Touring With VAN HALEN

Nothing new really as far as news, but they talk about VH so here it is

SILVERTIDE Frontman Talks About Touring With VAN HALEN, MÖTLEY CRÜE - Apr. 11, 2006

In a brand new, exclusive interview with Rock N Roll Universe, SILVERTIDE vocalist Walt Lafty discusses the band's upcoming, as-yet-untitled album, the follow-up to 2004's "Show And Tell", the band's extensive touring which took them around the world opening up for VAN HALEN, AEROSMITH, MÖTLEY CRÜE, VELVET REVOLVER, ALICE COOPER and KID ROCK over the past 29 months. Also covered in the interview is Lafty's recent European tour with SANTANA, where the vocalist filled in for AEROSMITH frontman Steven Tyler, replicating his vocals on "Just Feel Better". A short excerpt from the interview follows:

Rock N Roll Universe: What can fans expect from the sound of the new album? Will it be in the same vein as "Show And Tell" or will there be any differences?

Walt Lafty: "Well, strangely enough, our rhythm section got even tighter than on the first record. That's just from my bass player and drummer just playing together now for four, five years. They're finally getting to the point where they're starting to feel comfortable with stuff. Whereas before, we were kind of young. We were a band for a year, we got signed, went to L.A., did the record. We were just like 'Holy crap.' We just wrote a bunch of songs, played them a bunch of times and said 'Oh that one.' Like anything bands grow over time. It's a bit heavier on some of the stuff, and a bit lighter on some. It's going to have much more of a spectrum I know that."

Rock N Roll Universe: What are your expectations, sales wise, for the new album? What would make you happy this time around?

Walt Lafty: "I'd be happy to go a little bit above what we did with 'Show And Tell'. Last time I think we did 150,000, I think. I would like to go probably about 200,000. We're a live band. Every band would like to say they'd like to sell 10 million records. The reality of the situation is, it doesn't really happen these days. You have special cases of course, but it doesn't really happen to many records like it did in the '90s, where the average rock band sold three million records. You have to really earn that these days. Which is good and bad. It's good because we're putting in all this time. We've toured more than anyone I know in the past two and a half years. We toured for 29 months straight, I think. That's where we sell. We sell albums at the shows, when we're opening up for other bands. We have a really killer mentality where we just walk out there and give the best performance that we can give. Every single night. Because if you don't feel the music, how do you expect one 15 year old kid in the crowd to? How's he going to feel it? Or do anything with it? If you just go up there, stand still, play the fucking songs and stare at your shoes. If you don't connect with them, and tell people what the song's about, help them relate to it, they're not going to understand. When you go that extra mile, that extra length, then people turn around... and you say, 'This song is for every goddamned person that pulls you down and makes you feel like a total asshole, when they're the ones that are fucked up.' Then people go 'Oh shit, I've experienced that, I've had that feeling, that emotion.' If that happens, then you've won. You've won that battle. You're doing it on an individual basis. As opposed to mass marketing where you just put a song on the radio and a bunch of people go buy it because it sounds catchy."

Rock N Roll Universe: Also, speaking of touring, you guys did a series of dates opening for VAN HALEN back in 2004 on the first leg of their "reunion" tour. What was that like? Did Edward [Van Halen] or any of the members of the band have any advice for you?

Walt Lafty: "Yeah, we didn't even have a record out then. Sammy [Hagar] just said 'Have fun with it.' He kept on telling us that the whole month and a half. He just kept on insisting, he's like, 'You just have to have fun with it. You just have to constantly remind yourself that it's a good thing, and you're in a good position. You're in a great situation and you have the world at your fingertips.' He was always focusing on the positive side of that, really forcing that down our throats. Just have fun with it. Even then we were touring in a van all the time. Sleeping in it, pissing in it, eating in it, everything. He just said, 'Remember this. You're going to look back on this in 30 years. Whether you're hugely successful or not, you're going to be like, 'Wow, I got a free ticket around the world and it was a great time.'' Eddie was all about just having a good time. I didn't get one serious conversation with Eddie Van Halen the entire tour. He was mostly just a bundle of fun to be around. He was just confident, 'Hey, let's have a drink, a toast, let's have this.' He was a really, really fun guy."

Rock N Roll Universe: What shape was he in at that time? It seems like he's kind of in bad shape these days...

Walt Lafty: "I know he had 18 surgeries on his tongue to get out the mouth cancer. That's a bummer, I'm sure, but he survived it. I heard he had a hip replacement, but he didn't tell me that. Just to be up there, and to try and do that again, for whatever motives or reasons you have to be on that stage. Whether it's for the money, or for the music itself, or for the sheer joy of living that experience over and over again. Because nothing gets close to being onstage. Whatever his motives were, he loved it. You could see that, after all the years. What's even weirder was, I just went down with my wife about a month and a half ago to see LYNYRD SKYNYRD at The Borgata in New Jersey. We had a buddy of ours who gave us some free tickets so we went down. Let me just say, I never had anything to do with that band. I had a couple of their records, I dug their stuff a bit, but when they play 'Freebird', you still get chills up your spine. That, to me, was a good feeling. That you can have all these things go wrong, you can have members of your band die. You can have horrible, horrible tragedies, and still in 30, 40 years you can still make the song feel that good. There's something to be said about that."

Rock N Roll Universe: Last summer the band also toured with MÖTLEY CRÜE on their "Carnival Of Sins" tour. Were you a fan of theirs before going on tour with them?

Walt Lafty: "You know what, I knew the songs from on the radio. Our lead guitar player Nick, he was kind of into them for a long time. Man, that tour was just nuts. That was an insane tour. I had a blast, and was definitely a fan afterwards. I was really impressed by the stage show, and the energy put out. That day, from day one, we showed up the first day, and there were four huge gallon and a half bottles of Jack, and they said, 'Welcome To MÖTLEY CRÜE, SILVERTIDE.' We were like, 'Oh great.' (Laughs) I don't remember a lot of stuff from the tour, but I did have a lot of fun. (Laughs)"

Read the entire interview at www.rocknrolluniverse.com.

Last Online

07.17.06 @ 11:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

18 SURGERIES!!! Fuck, maybe we should cut the guy some slack...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

09.13.08 @ 09:43 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My thoughts exactly!
    This one example shows us there are so many things we don't have a clue of. And it's a shame people here make judgements without knowing all the facts. Granted, an outsider can never know ALL the facts, but I personally think it would be good to keep in mind that things often aren't just what they seem, and therefore people shouldn't rip other people the minute they feel like it.
    Suomi Finland Perkele!!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

18????? WTF????

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.03.10 @ 11:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just reading this on another site and thought along the same lines. As frustrating as VH's inactivity is to most everyone, we never know 100% what's going on with them as individuals. And as hard as it is at times not knowing what's really up, perhaps patience will someday truly be a virtue where our beloved band is concerned.

I wouldn't imagine a young band like Silvertide would come out of the gates bashing Eddie or VH in general even if things weren't always peaches and cream. That would be pretty foolish on their part, imo. But it was nice to read something on a positive note amidst all the negativity and speculation.
    This space for rent.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

It just makes more sense, on why Eddie has changed, just because he SURVIVED it seemed to us, that it was a piece of cake, but it really wasn't.

Long Live King Edward.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

It's nice to see someone say they weren't at each other's throats all the time...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

All the Ed bashers must be layin' low today...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I was a 5-star in DC and talked with Walt for a while and he was a really cool guy - skinny like a fiend, but a cool guy from Philly. He had so much energy and was so positive and I just remember thinking at the time that here's this super young guy fronting a band opening for VH... how cool is that!

I bought Silvertide's CD - not too bad.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver
    All the Ed bashers must be layin' low today...
    Really, where are all the people who want to make fun of his teeth? As I said before, maybe he CAN'T do anything for a period of time because they don't know if it's going to come back. Wow, 18 surgeries, no wonder Al didn't know if he'd be around or not.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Eddie is a survivor. Whether people want to bash him or not, he still is the greatest guitar player alive.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

05.14.12 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

heh, ya and Sam was there right behind him with full support, just like a friend should be!

Last edited by bullitt; 04.12.06 at 07:39 AM.
    -"There's a little bit of VH in everyone"- AVH

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

when silvertide opened or halen they were really awesome and loud and didnt play any ballad stuff.

went and got their record knowing it was going to rock and i was severely dissapointed!!! some wuss songs on it, the production was ok, but weak sound. didnt bring out the power the band really has or did have.

did they even release a second single? now theyre touring with the motley? that rules.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.03.10 @ 11:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe "Devil's Daughter" was released fairly recently as a single for Silvertide. I picked up the cd myself last week, but I have not had a chance to listen to it fully yet.
    This space for rent.

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

the album is ok, but they were much more awesome live when they opened. i dunno what is so different with them. live they were amazing and the album just doesnt have the balls.
    have to see more of this band in the future to determine/