Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wow

got this as an email and had to share...

"A Tale of Six Boys"

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade class from Clinton, WI. where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, "Where are you guys from?"

I told him that we were from Wisconsin. "Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story."

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who has since passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible Monuments filled with history in Washington, D.C., but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.)

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are his words that night.)

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called "Flags of Our Fathers". It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.

"Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members ! of his football team. They were off to play another type of game. A game called "War." But it didn't turn out to be a game.

Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are generals who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old.

(He pointed to the statue) "You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared. He was 18 years old. Boys won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not old men.

"The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the "old man" because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

"The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?' So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes died dead drunk, face down at the age of 32 .. ten years after this picture was taken.

"The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky. A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning The neighbors lived a quarter of
    a mile away.

"The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers, or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say, 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back.' My dad never fished or even went to Canada. Usually, he was sitting there right at the
    table eating his Campbell's soup. But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press.

"You see, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died in Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed in pain.

"When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'

"So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism and all the wars in-between that sacrifice was made for our freedom. Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray for those still in murderous unrest around the world. STOP and thank God for being alive and being free at someone else's sacrifice.

REMINDER:

Everyday that you can wake up free, it's going to be a great day. You are free because some vet died to keep you free.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Wow is right. I don't think people realize how young those soldiers were. The name "Ira Hayes" rings a bell. Johnny Cash did a song called "The Ballad Of Ira Hayes".

Here is a webpage about Ira Hayes. It has the lyrics to the song at the bottom.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

http://www.snopes.com/military/sixboys.asp

Hey, it's actually true. Very cool story.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Great post RF8.
    I had the privilege of readin that book. What an incredible story. It s not incredible due to heroics, but because these boys that fought were so humble, even when faced with an agonizing death. The true measure of a man is sometimes said to be most accurate when he is faced with his ultimate moment..These boys, as well as all the others who have stepped up in times of war, are heroes for their service, no doubt. But more, they are heroes because they served not only as brave bodies in a game of attrition, but they served as an everlasting example of the best America has to offer, even in their ultimate moment.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks g/f I'll have to get that book for my hubby. He'll like that.

That was a great story btw.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

You know when your a kid and this happens to you, you kind of remember it as some guy who talked to them but you know a number of those kids will remember that day and will be inspired to do good things. Great Story! I wish they would show more of these stories on the evening news. I will have to get that book also.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Great post.

I watch a lot of WW2 doumentarys, I am always blow away at how young these men were. My Grandfather served in the Army in WW2, he doesnt talk a lot about it but now and then he does tell some storys. The storys he tells are usually funny and about good times, he doesnt get into any gorey details. After "The Band of The Brothers" came out I purchased him the DVD set thinking he would enjoy it. He and my Grandmother would watch a eppisode every few days. They had to stop because my Grandfather started to have nightmares, it had been 4o or 50 years since he had nightmares. They stopped watching after the eppisode were the guys are trapped in the forrest in the winter. Turns out my Grandfather was one of the guys trying to get those guy supplies. He said it was the coldest he has every been in his life.

The guys that served during WW2 were extremely brave IMO. God Bless them all.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rf8, thanks again for posting this. On top of being a wonderful story that reminders of us people that helped us have the greatest country on the plant. I just ordered this book for my hubby as a treat for Easter. It's supposed to be here Friday. I've been racking my little brain on what to get for his Easter basket. This is just perfect. He's gonna love it.
    Last edited by Sunya; 04.11.06 at 05:20 PM.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Oorah, rf8.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

ď Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) Ē FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finished that book over the weekend. It was a powerful book. The first third of the book tells the boys stories before they entered the Marines.

The middle third talks of training and the bloody battle that was Iwo Jima. 8 sq miles of black sand and volcanic rock. The Japanese defenders (22,000) were dug into a tunnel system that crisscrossed the island. Once the GI's cleared a pillbox they still had to keep an eye on it because the Japanese would reoccupy it and start firing on GI's from the rear. Mr. Bradley didn't convey the part of the story that talked of the Japanese capturing and torturing one of his father's friends. They found him later mutilated, his teeth knocked or ripped out of their sockets his arms almost severed off, amoung other more grisly things. James Bradley lived in Japan in the 70's. He asked his parents to come visit. His father declined politely. He told James' brother the story of how the Japanese tortured his friend. He had no interest in going there....

The middle third talks about the how after the battle the 3 survivors were brought back to the states as celebrities for a war bond drive. The end of the is how the men live out their lives after the war. Jack Bradley didn't want to be a celebrity he was "just helping out" (with the flag raising)

Here's a pic of the original flag raising.

Here's THE PICTURE (as it's referred to in the book)

Since my dad died in 2001 at age 77. I've been reading all I can about WWII. He told me a few stories. By reading these books, I can relate to his life a little better. He was in the Navy, on destroyers and spent the Korean war as (like Jack Bradley) a navy medic attached to the Marines. The most interesting stories are the ones like this. Who introduce you the people who were there, not just what happened.

I don't know if America had another war like WWII if we'd win. Please don't flame me for saying this. I have ALL the respect in the world for our men and woman in uniform. I can't say that enough. You guys defending this country so a fat slob like me can say things like this deserve all the money and gratitude in the world and I know you don't get it. It just seems that the men of that generation knew what at stake and they went out and took care of it. I don't know if it was growing up in the depression with nothing or what. I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Men were just different then.

Some other books if you're interested (links to Amazon)

Belly of the Beast

Citizen Soldiers

Flyboys by James Bradley

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors

The Greatest Generation

Didn't mean to get off on a rant there.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Stidham I agree men were very different then. The country was different back, it seems to me that during WW2 there was a lot more patriotism. I have heard so many stories of guys lying about there age to get into the Army to go fight.

I watched a 2 hour documentary about the battle at Iwo Jima. Terrifying is the only way to describe it.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's heartbreaking to read but important to remember. It makes me wish even more for better ways to deal with all the hate and unrest in the world than war. I wish one day we as a world would realize that we all have to live here on earth together and somehow, someway have to get along, putting prejudice aside so mothers no longer have to weep for a child killed in combat.

Thanks RF8 and my deepest respect for the military and their sacrifices.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I also have a couple of the photographs, once signed by the photographer and one signed by bradlye's son. I put em on ebay for sa friend who wanted to sell them and didnt get one single bid. So i got to keep em.
    I guess the $500 starting bid was too high...
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Great Post to say the least. Really makes you think and appreciate the freedom that we have.

Clint Eastwood just finished filming "The Flags of Our Fathers." I was really looking forward to seeing the film, but moreso now after hearing that story. I'll also have to read that book.

What a good story to share with those kids on the field trip. Like someone else said, hopefully it will make a difference on some of them.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been so wrapped up in my own misery with this divorce that I haven't really paid attention to the world around me. Getting this email and reading the posts following has made me sit back and take a minute to realize I have so much to be thankful for. More than just my health and my beautiful children, but this country we live in. It has it's problems, but its people are great and I'm thankful for the freedom we have. I'm thankful to the mom's who've sacrificed their sons and the wives who've sacrificed their husbands. Still, I wish war didn't have to happen. I used to make fun of the beauty queens saying how they wished for world peace. Now I have to completely agree. Life is too short to be fighting all the time.

I'm glad y'all liked the thread.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8