Register

Thread: "Hybrid" bands

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default "Hybrid" bands

Seems to be an awful lot of "hybrid" bands around these days. The practice is to call them "supergroups", but usually these bands are just one popular band that finds a part from another popular band. And while one may debate that Slash or Scott Weiland are super in their positions, guys like Duff and Matt Sorum, while solid players, aren't likely to be at the top of anyone's "best of" list. So "supergroup" isn't really a proper term. But "hybrid" works for bands like Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, The New Cars, The New Doors/Doors of the 21st Century/Riders On The Storm - I feel as if I'm missing one or two others as well. It's more than just the days when an AC/DC would pick up some unknown to be their singer - guys like Cornell, Weiland, Rundgren and Astbury have some reknown as front men in their own right. Heck, you can say Van Halen was a hybrid twice, as both Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone were far from unknowns. But why does there seem to be so many now - is this decade going to be known as the decade of hybrids? With the success of these bands (at least Audioslave and Velvet Revolver), will this become the norm as we go forward and egos or whatever take their toll on other bands?

Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you're right. There are so many "hybrid" bands out there. Some band gets popular and a few of them go do a solo project and the others go start a "hybrid" band. People get so egoed out over their fame and success that they try and do it on their own. As for bands like this to be in the future, who knows, but you're right about this.

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was only thinking last night that there were a lot of "hybrid" bands around in the late 80s / early 90s - eg Mr Big, Badlands, Blue Murder, you could even include Whitesnake. I think its something thats always been around and will continue. Look at Led Zeppelin - they're a hybrid band in themselves.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't know about the other bands, but I don't consider Led Zeppelin a "hybrid". Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & John Bonham weren't really well known before Led Zeppelin, nor were they bandmates in a well known band before. The only known musician coming into that group was Page. ZZ Top is more of a hybrid - a combination of Gibbons from the Moving Sidewalks and Hill and Beard from American Blues, but again, those bands had nowhere near the level of success of a Stone Temple Pilots or Guns 'n Roses or Rage Against The Machine or Soundgarden or Queen or Bad Company or The Cars or Todd Rundgren.