Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Default Cat Stevens to release first album since 1978

Yusuf Islam, the musician formerly known as Cat Stevens, has finished his first pop album since 1978's "Back to Earth," sources tell Billboard.com. The artist has narrowed his choice for a record label to three companies; the as-yet-untitled set is expected to be out by the fall.

Islam wrote all the songs for the project, which was produced by Rick Nowels (Dido, Rod Stewart). Sources say some selections are highly reminiscent of Stevens' 1971 album "Teaser & the Firecat," which sports such enduring tracks as "Moonshadow," "Peace Train" and "Morning Has Broken."

There's no word yet on whether the album, which was recorded in the United Kingdom and the United States, will come out under the name Cat Stevens or Yusaf Islam.

The artist, whose real name is Steven Georgiou, swore off pop music in the late 1970s and has kept a low profile for the better part of the last two decades. He resurfaced in recent years to promote a variety of archival Cat Stevens reissues.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Ya kinda hope this one isn't a bomb...

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

that's great news

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

On a serious note, on hearing his song on KScum, I thought to myself that maybe here's one person that can bridge the gap between "them" and "us". The Rushdie incident will keep his name tainted in some minds, but he claims that he was only quoting the legal interpretation in the Qur'an. Although that doesn't explain the quote attributed to him where he would call Khomeini and tell him where Rushdie was if Rushdie ever showed up on his doorstep.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    On a serious note, on hearing his song on KScum, I thought to myself that maybe here's one person that can bridge the gap between "them" and "us". The Rushdie incident will keep his name tainted in some minds, but he claims that he was only quoting the legal interpretation in the Qur'an. Although that doesn't explain the quote attributed to him where he would call Khomeini and tell him where Rushdie was if Rushdie ever showed up on his doorstep.
    A salient point, yet I doubt it, for is not "pop music" viewed as a Western thing, to be scorned as is the devil? I regret this music will fail to ignite the us and them thing, when "they" disavow the concept of pop music to begin with.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

His album is very pleasant. It's pretty solid too. The first 3 songs in particular are great. I recommend it to any Cat fans. For the most part it's more laid back but it's good.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I absolutely love this new material, as it sounds like the Cat Stevens we all remember. I'll continue to play new tracks in the coming weeks.

And I'll leave the politics and religious stuff to those who wish to hang onto it.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I think its great, "Maybe There's A World" sounds like it could of been right at home on Tea For The Tillerman or Teaser & The Firecat. If theres religious or political overtones in the album I haven't noticed them. So many people let religion and politics get in their way of enjoying good music.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen2079 View Post
    I think its great, "Maybe There's A World" sounds like it could of been right at home on Tea For The Tillerman or Teaser & The Firecat. If theres religious or political overtones in the album I haven't noticed them. So many people let religion and politics get in their way of enjoying good music.
    no i find that artists tend to let politics ruin their own good music. If I completely disagree with whatever political statement is being said....I can't ignore that. And I blame the artist for doing it. Now this has nothing to do with Yusuf.....but many of my favorite bands are flaming liberals and they have to write all these negative political statements and it just ruins the music for me. in fact...there are bands like System of a down for example.....where thats ALL they do pretty much. Otherwise I think musically they do some interesting things.....And so I'm really not a fan of theirs at all because there's no getting around it.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

yippie,not
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default McCartney, Parton Guest On New Yusuf Album

from www.billboard.com:

January 20, 2009 02:34 PM ET

Ann Donahue, L.A.

The former Cat Stevens will follow up 2006's "An Other Cup," his first secular album in 28 years, with a set that recalls his straightforward troubadour days. The as-yet-untitled set is due in late spring from Universal.

"This one was really a result of me writing a lot of songs and being kind of inspired again," Yusuf tells Billboard. "After I recorded ['Cup'] people just wanted to hear me do a lot of simple stuff, just with the guitar."

The single "Boots & Sand" features Paul McCartney and Dolly Parton -- with a video shot by Jesse Dylan, son of Bob -- while Michelle Branch and Gunnar Nelson assist on the track "To Be What You Must."

"Boots" was written as a result of 2004 incident in which Yusuf was denied entry into the U.S., apparently as a result of mistaken identity on the post-9/11 "no fly" terrorist watch list. "It's a slight oddity of a song," he says. "The image I had was kind of a cowboy B-movie made in Italy, but the story came from real events, real people."

The new album's stripped-down sound is in contrast to "Cup," which featured tracks with prominent layers. "Perhaps I went to town a little bit with the production on the last album," Yusuf says. "I was just having fun with the new technologies -- we have endless tracks on Pro Tools. You can just flow them out and add and add, and I did."

Yusuf came to Pro Tools thanks to his son, who performs under the name Yoriyos and encouraged him to play with recordings and a computer in his home studio in London. "He's got such ears," Yusuf says. "I could understand what he wanted to create - that journey than the album can take you on."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

looking forward to it. I enjoyed his last one.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ya kinda hope this one isn't a bomb...

now that's just funny right there.

from www.billboard.com:

January 20, 2009 02:34 PM ET

Ann Donahue, L.A.

The former Cat Stevens will follow up 2006's "An Other Cup," his first secular album in 28 years, with a set that recalls his straightforward troubadour days. The as-yet-untitled set is due in late spring from Universal.

"This one was really a result of me writing a lot of songs and being kind of inspired again," Yusuf tells Billboard. "After I recorded ['Cup'] people just wanted to hear me do a lot of simple stuff, just with the guitar."

The single "Boots & Sand" features Paul McCartney and Dolly Parton -- with a video shot by Jesse Dylan, son of Bob -- while Michelle Branch and Gunnar Nelson assist on the track "To Be What You Must."

now that's a diverse list of folks...have the Nelson twins done anything since that sugary album they cut in the early nineties...after the rain or whatever?

I find it very interesting that Cat is still making secular music.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,132 Times in 8,956 Posts

If my interest level for this could be less than zero, it would be.

Bleh.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!