Register

Thread: speaker reapair

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default speaker reapair

my computer speaker fell on the stand and this happened. it didnt tear the paper cone at all and i really didnt know where to ask this other then the guitar room lol. can this be repaired at all.

http://www.winston5150.com/files/DSC000012.JPG

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

buy a new one!
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

http://myspace.com/danielbacic ...actually not anymore

www.bacic-tech.com ...gone
    www.viba-sas.it ...website of my old company... gone.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i will but i have to wait till tomorrow to get ahold of legitech. i dont know if they sell single speakers though. tried there e-mail support and of course got someone who's name i couldnt pronounce who obviously cant read cause he was talking about the stand even after looking at the picture. lol

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to see that. I hate seeing electronics in pain ...

I can't be 100% certain even from looking at the picture but it looks like the magnet came off the speaker. For one thing, that's a pretty odd design for a speaker driver. I've never seen anything quite like that. If that IS the magnet separate from the driver basket in your picture, the welding on that basket was quite poor to begin with.

If it were mine, I'd try to place the magnet back on the back of the speaker and just hold it together and run sound through it. If you hear something remotely close to descent musical quality coming out of that speaker then you *might* (big might) be able to just epoxy/cold weld the magnet to the back of the speaker. Just make sure the voice coil doesn't rub against the magnet post.

If you hear no sound or poor quality, I think its cheaper to buy a new pair of speakers. Replacement drivers are usually not *that* expensive, however it can be a lot of work trying to find a good replacement to match to the other side (make sure the replacement has a shielded magnet if you do buy a replacement part).

This is all purely speculation but maybe it'll help out a little.

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i tried holding the speaker and magnet back together and there was sound but it was crackly and static. i e-mailed some speaker repair places and the all said they dont have the equipment to do that kind of repair. my only deal is i dont think logitech does single speaker sales. guess i will have to watch e-bay unless i knew what size the speaker was i could just order a replacement speaker and put it back in there. i dont know for sure how to measure them as far as starting and stopping points.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are places that sell replacement woofers of all shapes and sizes but what you'll run into is that even though physically they're the same size, they won't sound the same. Every speaker has a different Q, impedance, and overall tone to it and in the hi-fi world (as opposed to the guitar speaker world), those things matter a lot more when you're talking about replacing the woofer in an existing Hi-Fi cabinet. Granted, this is a Logitech multi-media speaker and not some Tannoy studio monitor, but its worth keeping those things in mind.

Here's a few places to start looking for replacement parts:
    http://www.partsexpress.com
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com
    http://www.mouser.com
    http://www.allcorp.com
    http://www.apexjr.com

The first three are new parts sellers ... the other two are surplus/new sellers.

Measure the original speaker from the edge of the metal basket to the other end as DIAMETER. Also measure the mounting holes from each other and basically make a drawing of the speaker. then go searching for a replacment. Odds are you won't find an exact replacement but you might find some shielded speakers CLOSE to that. If you're adventurous and the price is right, there's usually a way to mount new speakers in the old spots but its a bit like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole ... sometimes you need to get out the power tools to make it fit. =) Remember to buy 2 woofers and replace both speakers (L & R) so that you have good stereo imaging again.

Again, I'm speculating that effective replacements are even available and that they're affordable and that you won't be wasting your time. I've had good experience replacing woofers in, for example, large Marantz and Pioneer speaker enclosures (you know the old Home Stereo speakers which were huge pieces furnature) but that was usually because I could somewhat match the Q of the original woofers and maybe cut down the tuned-ports on the cabinet to get the bass right again. With multi-media speakers, most of the time you don't have the luxury to do that because the enclosure is molded plastic.

If its any consolation, I was just in a Big Lots store the other day and saw a pair of shielded multimedia speakers (imports I think) for $20 with 5 inch woofers. Considering deals like that, it might seem that repairing the logitech speakers is not worth it??

Anyways, Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i won a pair of z-640 which was before my set on e-bay last night for 4 bucks haha. good think to cause i got to looking at my other rear and the center metal parts touch and it buzzez a tad so i am in good shape now . what i score that was.