Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Legato Question

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Legato Question

This is mindless playing, but you can see he's demonstrating sounding notes with ONLY his left hand:

My question is this:

How do you sound legato lines when traveling UPWARDS from a lower string to a higher string?

I've seen Kotzen demonstrate a basic "4-1-2-4-2-1" approach while descending from higher strings to lower, but I can't identify what this guy (or others) is doing to "ascend" from lower strings to higher strings without picking.

My pulloffs are very articulate, and I'm able to sound the "pinky note" on the next lowest string AFTER completing the line demonstrated above, which is all you need, because then you could mindlessly repeat the line again.

I'm trying to figure out how to get BACK UP to the higher string without picking. I'm almost certain this guy (and others) aren't hammering with their first finger to play the first note on the next highest string.

Does my question make sense?

Basically, I've figured out how to "start" my legato lines with a "hard pinky hammer" followed by a plucky pulloff, but can't figure out how to "start" a line with any other finger. Trying to get a good "rolling" sound while starting from the B string, and hopping up to the E string, for instance.

How do I do it?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member
    I'm doing my best to uderstand your question, I guess I need a visual or something, but I think I know what you are talking about.

If you are hammering on with your pinky, you can do the same with any of the four fingers. You don't necessarily have to do it with your index finger. You could hammer on your middle finger, then hammer the pinky to pull off to descend again to make it sound more smooth. You can do the same thing with your ring (3rd) finger.

Again, I was a little confused as to the legistics of the question, which is of no fault to you. I guess the key thing is that you obviously have to "hammer" the note on a dead string if you aren't picking it.

By the way, the guy on the clip is kind of a douche. The whole thing didn't even have a musical base to it, it was just a bunch of notes. At least when Yngwie or Eddie play something like that, it at least has some musical base to it. And what was up with the yawning? I take back what I said before...he isn't kind of a douche....he IS a douche.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Wow. Just.......wow.

99 views.....1 response.

If Ben Wallace played guitar, right now he'd say, "...ain't not nobody gonna talk about no legato in here!....."

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I second that yawn...

<yawn>

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    Wow. Just.......wow.

99 views.....1 response.

If Ben Wallace played guitar, right now he'd say, "...ain't not nobody gonna talk about no legato in here!....."

What I get you saying is, "Help me figure out how to play an ascending legato lick between 2 or more strings without using a pick and still making
    each note sound fluid."

My question: why not just pick the note? Otherwise, who cares what that doofus was doing in the video--hammer on the note with your fret hand index finger on the next string if that's where you want the sound to go.

Listen to the ascending licks in "Always with you, Always with me" by Satriani. He picks the first note on each string and he's one of the best legato players I can think of.

Finally--try low action and light strings.
    Last edited by mk5; 04.12.06 at 10:59 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

As a follow-up, I've pretty much accepted the picking of the first note of the higher adjacent string.

I guess what I need now are some simple licks/runs. Not ready to play "Flying In a Blue Dream" yet.

And yeah, the low frets on my EBMM do make playing legato an exercise in concentration. Too much wood under my fingertips.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    Wow. Just.......wow.

99 views.....1 response.

It's just means that there are 99 super polite people on the guitar board. Me? I'm having a bad week.

The answer to your question is practice. Practice, practice practice.

You simply asked how to do ADVANCED finger-work. The only way to do advanced stuff is to BE advanced. The only way that happens is by practice.

I assume that you're doing this already, the only advice I can add is to get propper instruction so that you learn to play it right the first time. Get yourself a set of dumbbells and start doing curls, full-arm and wrist-curls to build arm strength.

The big key is thumb placement of the back of the neck. The thumb needs to line up with the middle and ring fingers so that you are pinching the neck. If your left hand looks like you are giving a thumbs-up, you are holding it wrong.

For the record, I can't do what that guy is doing in the video.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

WOW! that guy is a DICK! He thinks he's cool!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    I assume that you're doing this already, the only advice I can add is to get propper instruction so that you learn to play it right the first time.
    That's what I was looking for, was proper instruction. Some actual patterns. I agree with everything you're saying about "perfect practice" (I'm paraphrasing)