Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Giant C-5 military jet crashes in Delaware

Giant C-5 military jet crashes in Delaware

Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 8:28 a.m. EDT (12:28 GMT)

DOVER, Delaware (AP) -- A C-5 cargo plane carrying 17 people crashed near Dover Air Force Base early Monday, state officials said.

There was no immediate word on fatalities.

The plane, the military's largest, went down about 6:45 a.m., said Allen Metheny, assistant director in the state Department of Public Safety.

He said some people were taken to hospitals with injuries, but he did not have numbers or details of the extent of the injuries.

The plane broke into three pieces, with the cockpit separated from the fuselage and a wing shattered. It wasn't immediately clear whether the plane was taking off or landing when it crashed.

"What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The C5 is a monster aircraft....you can tell from that pic. Glad no one died in that accident.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    The C5 is a monster aircraft....you can tell from that pic. Glad no one died in that accident.
    I used to live near Washington, DC and was inside of one of those C-5's. They are DAMN big, they transport millitary vehicles in them. I think you could play a full court basketball game in there! This could have been a lot worse, glad no one was killed.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-5.htm
    Check out the photos at the bottom loading helicopters INSIDE of it!!!

I used to see them around Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.
    My dad and I used to see those fly over all the time!!!
    Last edited by jd5150; 04.03.06 at 09:46 AM.
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jd5150,

My dad was in the AF and I was lucky enough as a kid to be able to see the C5 up close.....massive massive beast of a plane. I especially can recall the sound of it's engines as it lifted off the ground...a very weird & muffled low tone sound.

I found this very sad tale of a C5 that crashed during the Vietnam war....we were airlifting orphans out of Vietnam and it ended in tragedy.

68-0227 w/o Sept 27, 1974 in ground fire

On 04 April 1975 the US was involved in the evacuation of more than 2,000 Vietnamese orphans out of Saigon as North Vietnamese forces marched on the city. A C-5, which was returning to the Philippines after delivering war material, and a C-9 were loaded with children from Saigon'' orphanages and female government employees. These children were to be adopted into families in the United States and Europe. The mission, named Operation Babylift, was the first of more than 30 planned. Workers at the airport carried the children -- more than 100 infants and 140 older children -- into the C-5 one by one. A majority of them were only 2 years and younger. Almost half the children sat in the cargo compartment of the aircraft below, while the remainder sat in the troop compartment upstairs. At 23,000 feet the aft door was torn from the aircraft. The safety investigation would later reveal one of the door locks failed and created a pressure overload on all the other locks. When that happened, it blew out the doors, and the C-5 then experienced a rapid decompression. When the aft door blew out it severed three of the four hydraulic systems as well as the flight controls. The explosion ripped a large hole near the rear of the aircraft. The pilot diverted the plane and headed back to Tan Son Nhut AB, but the C-5 couldn't make it. The pilot made an emergency landing in a rice paddy, within two miles of the base, shearing off the cargo compartment of the aircraft. Many of the orphans were still asleep when the aircraft hit the ground, bounced up, and began to break apart as it hit again and slid to a stop. The entire cargo bay of the aircraft sheared off as the plane tore across the field. Of the 140 passengers below only six survived. Eleven out of the 29 crewmembers lost their lives. The nurses and technicians aboard did their best to save as many children as they could. Thanks to the aircrew's flying skills, however, 176 of the 314 people on board survived, including 150 orphans.

http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78648
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah you guys like those planes. I used to be stationed at Keflavik Iceland and when those things took off, forget about sleep. You wouldn't like them too much after working a double back.