Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The recording of the Best of Both Worlds

On the BOBW album, i think i remember hearing that Eddie used Protools on the three new songs. I think protools is a recording board or way of recording something. Is this true and if so, why did he use it. The songs sound a lot less live then they did on any previous album.

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure how Protools relate to guitar, but for vocals they keep you from going flat or sharp. I'm not an expert, so if I say anything wrong, someone please correct me. Tim McGraw has admitted to using Protools live to enhance his vocals. Living in Nashville and being a huge fan of singer/songwriter alternative country music...sometimes called y'allternative...I have often joked that Music Row can make a star out of anyone that can halfway sing, but looks good...all thanks to Protools.

Like I said though, I have no idea how or why it would relate to guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry bout that. I'm no expert on recording. So its for singing. Sammy probably wanted to use it. But even if thats for singing, the three new songs dont feel nearly as live in the studio as any previous albums. Does anybody know why? Im just curious

Last Online

07.17.06 @ 11:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pro Tools is a computer based recording software. Almost everything you hear these days is done with pro tools. It records everything to a hard drive as opposed to tape. the 2 inch tape used in analog recording is not made anymore so, the remaining stock piles are very limited. Pro tools has the ability to do alot of things one of which is a "pitch shifter". It can correct SLIGHTLY off pitch notes. It also has the ability to cut and paste parts of songs. So, if you have a verse and chorus that are the same for the whole song, you can play it once and paste it where it goes. It makes things faster and eaiser but, the trade off is that you lose a lot of that analog warmth. That is why the songs on BOBW sounded different. Very digital. What most high end recording studios do now (including 5150 I think) is run all signals into older analog equipment before it it goes into Pro tools. That way you get as much of that warmth as possible. Its starting to sound better. Not perfect, but better. And it's not just for vocals, it can be used for everything.
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; 04.02.06 at 08:47 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. So is that how RWTD (on Best Of) had the solo and verse different than the orginal?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know what you are saying by not sounding live...but the three new ones probably were not recorded live, since Ed played bass...but I think you are talking about the raw, unpolished sound....

Maybe I am way off base, but I always felt the same way about GnR's UYI 1 & 2. 1 sounded much more polished and studio'ish than 2.

Last Online

12.15.08 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use protools and that is an interesting question about sounding live... You can certainly record live into the program as you would with tape...

However, the advent of digital software has really opened the door for sampling or the re-using of tracks in the song. For example... If I have three verse sections to record guitar parts, i might copy/paste the first perfect verse section into the remaining two. This saves time and costs and makes the overall song very organized and tight.

This can also result in the song sounding too tight, too clean and not live at all... It looses it's soul and feeling.

There are reasons for using such a technique and there are times to NOT...
    Last edited by whammybar; 04.02.06 at 10:11 PM.
    Come on baby, close your eyes, let go
    This can be everything we dreamed

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Those tracks sound dead because they weren't really a band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Using Pro Tools had nothing to do with the sound on those songs, every professional studio uses them now. You do lose a little warmth when you go digital, and not 2-inch tape, but frankly most of us couldn't hear the difference, and most albums are at the minimum mixed on Pro Tools.

And the pitch shifter on Pro Tools really only works on vocals if you're relatively close, if you're not, it does very little. When we did our demo, our singer still had to redo a few parts because the pitch was too far off to even correct.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Using Pro Tools had nothing to do with the sound on those songs, every professional studio uses them now. You do lose a little warmth when you go digital, and not 2-inch tape, but frankly most of us couldn't hear the difference, and most albums are at the minimum mixed on Pro Tools.

And the pitch shifter on Pro Tools really only works on vocals if you're relatively close, if you're not, it does very little. When we did our demo, our singer still had to redo a few parts because the pitch was too far off to even correct.
    maybe so but you said that every professional studio uses them but most of the stuff today doesn't sound nearly live. Theres so much compression and extra "noise" that you sometimes cant tell the difference between the guitars or hear the drums clearly. When I talk about that I'm not saying thats how VH songs sound like but most recordings and songs today just have too much going on on one song. Thats why I love hearing Van Halen songs. I can hear the drums clearly, guitars well, etc. Just wondered why BOBW sounded so "polished". Just my thoughts....

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Choose to believe Eddie's recent interviews or not, but in his 2004 Guitar World interview, Eddie stated that he hates Pro Tools. And when it becomes the norm, music is dead.

So I doubt that he used it on the new songs.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OU812fan
    maybe so but you said that every professional studio uses them but most of the stuff today doesn't sound nearly live. Theres so much compression and extra "noise" that you sometimes cant tell the difference between the guitars or hear the drums clearly. When I talk about that I'm not saying thats how VH songs sound like but most recordings and songs today just have too much going on on one song. Thats why I love hearing Van Halen songs. I can hear the drums clearly, guitars well, etc. Just wondered why BOBW sounded so "polished". Just my thoughts....
    The things you are describing are because of the choices made by the engineer and are not side effects of protools.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

VH-1 had a special on Motley Crue a few months ago recording the songs they did for thier reunion, they showed some pro tools stuff on that, I only caught a few minutes of it but it was pretty interesting.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I think protools are cool with used in moderation as long as the band call still pull off the song great live. VH did it, and so dide Crue.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Sammy used it on his last several albums and he loves it. Maybe he got Ed to get one for him to use for his vocals or maybe he talked Ed into trying it, maybe that's why Ed hates them, who knows.

I think the 3 new songs sounded all right. I think they were engineered better than "3", that's for sure.