Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Alex is a douche too! His attitude sucks.

Interviewer: Y’know what’s interesting? I think it was maybe last autumn, we went to go see one of Sammy’s shows, and obviously, he did some of the Van Halen material.

AVH: Yeah, he can’t get away from it, can he? [Laughs]

Interviewer: No, no. But what was really cool was that when he was playing the stuff and he’d intro the songs, he didn’t come across with any animosity. It was more like, “At the time when we did this, it was magic.”

AVH: That’s good.

Interviewer: It was just really kind of cool and I think people kind of appreciated it.

AVH: Good to hear.

And how about this bullshit!!!!!

AVH: "Two-and-a-half, three years is long enough for anybody to wait, especially if you’re a fan of the band."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...did he say that with a straight face??? I guess he lost all concept of time, eh?

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

A reunion is imminent.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    A reunion is imminent.
    LOL!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by the_atomic_punks_rule
    Alex is a douche too! His attitude sucks.

Interviewer: Y’know what’s interesting? I think it was maybe last autumn, we went to go see one of Sammy’s shows, and obviously, he did some of the Van Halen material.

AVH: Yeah, he can’t get away from it, can he? [Laughs]

Interviewer: No, no. But what was really cool was that when he was playing the stuff and he’d intro the songs, he didn’t come across with any animosity. It was more like, “At the time when we did this, it was magic.”

AVH: That’s good.

Interviewer: It was just really kind of cool and I think people kind of appreciated it.

AVH: Good to hear.

And how about this bullshit!!!!!

AVH: "Two-and-a-half, three years is long enough for anybody to wait, especially if you’re a fan of the band."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...did he say that with a straight face??? I guess he lost all concept of time, eh?
    It seemed that Al was being honest but from the way he says things, you could kinda tell he didn't really like VHIII. Of course he barely played on the album but he said enjoyed the tour and thats good. Anyways, I think it was a pretty good interview.

Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since this is a thread on an Alex interview, does anybody else have some Alex interviews they found interesting? I know Alex really never said much or interviewed much and I've only read a few AVH interviews so it would be interesting to read some things Alex has said. Anyways, Please post them if you have some.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Am I seeing things, or on page four does Alex say that working with VH wasn't much of a culture shock for Mike Post, since after all he'd worked with Sonny and Cher, who were at the top of the rock heap?

It must be my eyes.

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta love this line

"Yeah, but in hindsight, it’s classic Van Halen.

Exactly. Well, there you go—in hindsight. I think maybe ten years from now, people are gonna look at this record and go, “Wow! Y’know, that really was a fucking interesting fucking record.”

So very soon we are all going to go.. I get it, what an Awesome record!

Later that same day Turds all over the country will end up replacing those Picaso things hanging from walls.
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Any of these old interviews are totally fallacious. Look at Eddie in Guitar World in June 2004, "We're stronger then ever". What a bunch of bull-shit.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

ALEX: The best way I can describe it is that this record is just one more page in a long book that is far from being written.

We got a long way to go, and this is just one more step.

Bring on the next chapter!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,480 Times in 902 Posts

Who would have that VHIII would be a very short chapter. I really wished the follow-up to III would have recorded and toured on. Who knows, maybe it would have been a better album than III and allowed Gary to be with the band longer.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

04.19.16 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

Default Interview

I liked the interview. But it really seems that Alex didn't enjoy playing some of the songs on "VH 3", which is kind of sad to know. Anyway, thanks for sharing OU812 fan.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I'm sure Alex has a different spin on things today verses 1998.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Dave once said "Al beats on things for a living".

No surprise here as to why he rarely gives interviews.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Alex Van Halen Assures Good Band Vibes; Talk of New Album
    [By Steve Penhollow for the Journal Gazette]

Is there a job more coveted yet feared in the world than the lead singer slot in the band Van Halen?

When you agree to front Van Halen, there is a good chance that at some point down the road you will be sent packing and be advised not to let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh, and you should also expect to be disparaged in the press for a few months after your departure.

Then, you know, maybe they'll hire you back – or just pretend they're going to.

Van Halen is a volatile band, and drummer Alex Van Halen is the first to admit it.

"We're volatile only to the extent that we're as good of friends as we are," Van Halen says in a phone interview. "It's because we are so intense.

"It's part of our nature. As much as I love (brother and guitarist Eddie), if you put us in a room with no one else for 15 minutes, we'd be at each other's throats.

"But it's always about creative differences. Always. It's never personal."

"Music is a dialogue. It's about an emotional reaction. We're very needy people, you know," Alex Van Halen says, laughing.

When Sammy Hagar rejoined the band last spring, a lot of fans were frankly whopperjawed. Hagar's departure from the band in 1996 (murkily mired as it was in the rock band equivalent of adultery) was as acrimonious as any celebrity divorce.

Hagar gave many angry interviews, including one in 2000 to Razor Magazine.

"They all got greedy," Hagar said. "They thought, 'We'll bring (David Lee) Roth back and we'll get Sammy to go along with it.' '(Expletive) you,' I said. 'I ain't going along with no kind of stupid (expletive) greatest hits record and all this stuff. Get out of here! We don't need to be doing anything cheap to our fans.'

"Your fans aren't 12-year-old kids, for God's sake. They've been with us for 10 years with me and seven years with Roth before that. Seventeen years. They know what the (expletive) is going on here."

A lot has happened in the ensuing eight years.

Gary Cherone's short-lived stint as lead singer produced one of the worst albums of the band's career. Alex Van Halen has nothing bad to say about Cherone.

"He was just the wrong choice. It's that simple. No harm, no foul," Van Halen said. "Nobody sets out to make a bad record. I just think the chemistry was wrong. It was just one of those things."

Eddie Van Halen developed tongue cancer in 1999 and subsequently watched his marriage go sour. Doctors pronounced him free of cancer in May 2002.

Alex Van Halen says his brother hasn't said much to anyone about this ordeal.

"I can't speak entirely on his behalf, but he showed bravery and fortitude. He never gave up. There were days when I didn't know if I was going to have a brother a year from then. He went through that and came out the other end stronger for it.

"Whether that character was always there or developed along the way, I can't say. I just accept it and don't question it. When you make it through something like that, it definitely adds a lot to your arsenal. When he's ready to talk about it, he will."

Alex Van Halen says he received a call out of the blue from Hagar not too long ago, inquiring about the health and well-being of the band and its members.

"Nine years does things to people," Van Halen says. "It softens the memory of how badly things came unglued. Sam just called me one day. We got together, had lunch, lunch turned into dinner, dinner turned into 'Join us in the studio,' that turned into 'Let's make new music' and that turned into 'Let's forget what " happened.'

Alex Van Halen says the band finally grew up.

"There is an intensity and depth in Van Halen that didn't exist before when things got ugly... real ugly. We just decided to say 'Why would we want to relive " that? Let's forget it.'

Every time it looks as if Van Halen is about to take on a new or slightly used vocalist, there is always much speculation about whether the band's first frontman, David Lee Roth, will return.

Van Halen says Roth fans just need to accept the fact that Diamond Dave is history, at least as far as this group of guys is concerned.

"I can say something comic, but let me preface that by saying, 'He needs meds.' I am very serious about that. It's that simple. It's not even his fault, really.

"Whatever our personal differences are, there are no bigger fans of this band than the people who are in this band. So we understand why people would love to see that sort of reunion. But that's just not going to happen. Some things are impossible. The Beatles will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with Van Halen."

The return of Hagar to Van Halen coincided with one of the slowest summers in the history of rock touring. Lots of bands, including Van Halen, were forced to sell tickets at cut-rate prices and throw in food vouchers as an added enticement. Alex Van Halen downplays the seriousness of all this.

"I think it's been great, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. It's nice seeing everybody again – not that I am implying that I have a close personal relationship with every one of our fans."

People have been speculating for years about whether Van Halen is past its prime; whether it can ever make music as potent as it produced in the '70s and '80s.

Alex Van Halen said people who have been given talents by God are required to exercise those talents in spite of crazes, conventions or accusations of decrepitude.

"I read this interview with Elton John recently and the reporter suggested that his personal plateau had happened awhile ago and so, now that he's older, why would he keep writing music? And he was taken aback of course. Everybody has a high point and a lot goes into that: timing, situation, general consciousness.

"It may or may not happen again, but that shouldn't have anything to do with why you keep creating."

Van Halen says the band is currently writing material that he believes is its best in a great while. "I can't put it into words, unfortunately, but the stuff is absolutely brilliant," he says.

Alex Van Halen says the band has purged itself of angst over profits, pans and chart positions. Now it's just about the music.

"When you leave the planet, you leave music behind. You don't leave behind box office scores or how many dollars changed hands.

"You come to the planet with nothing and you leave with nothing, so you'd better do some good while you are here."

Speaking to the Wichita Eagle about Sammy Hagar's recent comments indicating the end of his stint with the band was near, Alex said, "Our disagreements are about our music."

The band plans to take a break after the tour and then enter the studio to begin work on a new album, he said.

With Sammy Hagar on vocals?

"With Sammy," he said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton