Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Default EVH cover , Guitar One Magazine

I hope I don`t flamed here for starting this thread. The Guitar World thread was getting way off the subject and the title of the thread wasn`t edited. Anyways , got the new Guitar One May issue with EVH on the cover. Old interview but an interesting read , he goes off on Mike worse the he does Dave. He also sounds like he was pleased with Diver Down which is probably BS. Cool rare photos and a cdrom is included. Here`s a pic of the mag cover, sorry no scanner but you get the idea.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Awesome.

However, I'll be very disappointed if he tees off on Mikey. From what I can tell, Mike is a straight-shooter......can't think of one reason Ed should be having a problem with him.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

07.17.06 @ 11:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does he say about Mike?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

He say`s
    "I won`t rag too much on Dave;he pulls his weight.Mike(Anthony)doesn`t.He doesn`t do anything;he has no input whatsoever.But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a (Porsche) Turbo Carrera with the money he`s made off us. Whatever."

Kind of hard to believe he would say something like that about Mike. Who knows , it was 24 yrs. ago when this supposed lost interview took place.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.01.13 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed can't stand Dave.

Ed can't deal with Sammy.

Ed has no respect at all for Mike.

I guees that leaves his Bro.

Maybe he is waiting for his son to get a little older and then they can go out as trio.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, why does Ed always have the bad part, maybe Mike wasn't doing a whole lot for the band at the time and getting lost in other things, who knows? Who wouldn't be pissed if a guy in a band is just there to play bass, tour and smile with no valuable input?
    So simple to say Ed is the bad guy and Mike the good guy.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Another thing to remember is this lost interview is from 1982 not the present. I`ve got some friends now that in 1982-85 I really couldn`t get along with. People change , times change and Ed has been bad mouthed enough over the last couple years.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Funny thing is, Ed echoes what I thought for years. I remember saying all the time that Michael Anthony was the luckiest man alive. He fell into this band with two incredibly dynamic personalities in Ed and Dave and he cashed in - big time.

I thought this interview was a new interview and that's why it bummed me out that Ed would bash Mike....didn't realize it was so old. I've actually gotten to like Mike a lot more over the past several years.

My one question is this: If Mike DID try to have input, would it have gotten him far? Something tells me Ed and Dave ruled the roost....not sure how much they would have listened to Mike anyways.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Eddie has said that on the Fair Warning album, he had to go to record at night, it was a rough time in VH camp, that's why it's a DARK ALBUM.

Eddie is a really insecure person, and maybe he felt all his music was divided on 4, not realizing how important Mike was in the band, but he felt only him and Al where doing the music, when the TRUTH it was HIM and DONN LANDEE.

Alex, Mike and Dave, just came in to play their part but the music.

On 1992, Eddie said on an interview MIKE IS LIKE MY BROTHER MY FAMILY. So who knows.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

03.02.08 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Ed was referring to their songwriting split at the time. Eddie wrote all of the music, Dave came up with the lyrics and some melody. Mike showed up and did his job, but didn't have a lot of creative input. But, originally, songwriting credits were split four ways in the band.

Of course, with these guys, who knows what the truth is. I used to think the original four were just a bunch of fun loving guys who had a blast together. That sure was how it was portrayed back in the day.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984
    He say`s
    "I won`t rag too much on Dave;he pulls his weight.Mike(Anthony)doesn`t.He doesn`t do anything;he has no input whatsoever.But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a (Porsche) Turbo Carrera with the money he`s made off us. Whatever."

Kind of hard to believe he would say something like that about Mike. Who knows , it was 24 yrs. ago when this supposed lost interview took place.
    Alright, I've read this statement a couple of times now...I don't think it can be viewed as bad as first interpreted. Basically, all Ed has said that Mike has no imput within the band. Fair enough, we all know that. Then comments that most of the money Mike makes off Van Halen has resulted in the hard work of the created music by the VH brothers and Dave. Ed realises that, so what should he have Mike do then? It could be possible that Ed may have said it that way out of frustration, given he was under pressure during that time due to being restricted for exploring new musical endeavours, or even out of sarcasm - he may have been reflecting Mike's lucky position within the band? It's not like Ed filled his words with mean-spirited attacks on Mike.

On the other hand, it is interesting to note that round this time, Ed was reportedly scouting Billy Sheehan for Van Halen's bassist.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Eddie could be right about Mike and his status in the band. However, its rather rude to call out a bandmate in a public interview like that instead of dealing with it privately. There is a time and place for everything.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

VH probably signed the 25/25/25/25 contract be4 they became rich. At the time it didn't matter, they probably thought they would never see any real money, like most bands. Then later, around the Fair Warning/Diver Down period, they started making serious dough and buying houses (the VH bros lived with their folks until at least WACF, if i recall well).
    Now what SUCKS is EVH going public on how dissatisfied he is with an existing contract. You just DON'T do that. You get together with the lawyer and hammer out a new contract when the existing one is up for renewal. This whining is out of control, no one forced them to sign the 25/25/25/25 deal. Live with it! Real dissrespectful towards Mike, he didn't con anyone into doing this.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer
    Live with it! Real dissrespectful towards Mike, he didn't con anyone into doing this.
    The dissatisfaction is sort of inevitable. Imagine that you're building a house. You work for months. Finally the plumber comes in for a week.
    Finally both of you get the same amount of money. You gotta feel pissed off.
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy
    The dissatisfaction is sort of inevitable. Imagine that you're building a house. You work for months. Finally the plumber comes in for a week.
    Finally both of you get the same amount of money. You gotta feel pissed off.
    It's interesting that Al gets a free pass though. He has the same songwriting credit on each VH tune that Ed and Dave/Sam have as well. I think that most of us have always assumed that Ed crafts most of the music and Dave/Sam put together the lyrics and melody, so to me, it's always been very democratic and a bit generous to include Al and Mike fully on each credit. There's no need though to single out Mike, I wonder if WB or VH management helped to bury this interview.