Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Blood & Fire, ATBL
    Last Online

01.06.13 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default More rating's woes for Dave

From www.Blabbermouth.net

DAVID LEE ROTH: More Ratings Woes - Mar. 28, 2006

According to the New York Post's "The Starr Report", there are more ratings woes for former VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth, who replaced Howard Stern on the "train-wreck" now known as Free FM (92.3). According to preliminary winter ratings, Roth's February Arbitron numbers were only half of what he averaged in January. According to Post radio reporter John Mainelli, Stern had 277,000 listeners at any given moment last December ó while Roth had only 32,000 listeners last month.

Makes ya wonder when they're gonna finally cancel the show, and what Dave will do after yet another failure in the media's eyes. Can you imagine how different the reaction to his show would be if he was back in Van Halen!?
    But considering the Mike interview, there is no Van Halen, so why wonder?!
    What did us fans do to deserve all of this ridiculous nonsense????
    "The music of Van Halen is vital."-David Lee Roth-1978

VH Shows....
    10-22-1988 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-15-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-16-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    04-28-1995 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    05-24-1998 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    09-09-2004 - Tampa Forum - Tampa, FL
    02-14-2008 - Amway Arena - Orlando, FL
    05-09-2008 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ
    04-12-2012 - Amway Center - Orlando, FL

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

I have believed this for years and the media and others who arent into Van Halen have confirmed this for me. In many ways most people don't "get" Dave. Yes they get his superficial comments and jokes, but most dont understand where the guy is coming from when he actually talks about things other than music. When I listen to his show on the NET I hear a brilliantly insightful guy who has a hard time dumbing himself down to the average listener. I think this is why Dave has "failed" in the medias eyes over the years. He has always done it his way and has not sold out to his critics which makes me like the guy even more. I'm sure his show will get cancelled and he will move onto another project just as he has in the past. Im not gonna lie I would love to see him back in VH but if it never happens I have enjoyed what he has brought to the table. With the radio gig though as stated above a lot of people will never "get" him and his thought process.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Dave'sego caused him to committ career suicide back in 1985. Even though it worked for an album or two, he was unable to sustain his musical career without Van Halen as we all know.
    He is the musical equivalent to David Caruso who thought he was bigger than NYPD Blue but failed at his attempt to be a movie star. It took him some time however to get back his career and fame with the CSI Miami gig, we can only hope that Dave will finally be humbled a bit and maybe a shot with VH will once agin be in his future.
    If he wants it as bad as he seems to, he must swallow some pride and so must Eddie to make it happen.
    Obviously Ed must want it to work because he tried atleast 3 times that we know of. He seems to have taken the same approach Val took to their marriage and kept giving it a shot until she just couldn't do it anymore.

Dave doesn't seem to mind that his ratings suck, maybe he wants to be set free. But if there was an announcement today saying that Dave was back in VH and that a new single would be debuting on his show next week his ratings would no doubt go through the roof. And don't think for one second that Les Moonves wouldn't want a CVH reunion to happen, I'm surprised he hasn't been pushing for it. But maybe he has.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I still try to listen to Dave but there is one thing that makes me not like the show. Its the constant patting on the back that he does. I know he is an experienced world traveler. He does martial arts. His is an EMT and can fly a helicopter. That is fine and I commend him on his accomplishments but I don't need to be reminded of it every 2 minutes.

I never really hear that with other talk radio hosts. I think its his ego that is causing this and for most people its an unattractive trait. You get tired of hearing people bragging about themselves.

This is the reason why people cannot "connect" with the show.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I "get" his show and I actually like it. But since he has been back from vacation he has had like 2 good shows. Yesterdays was terrible.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.17.15 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like listening to him on Podcast and so I hope he stays on the air, but the show has a mid day or late night vibe. I can't picture any more people listening to that stuck in traffic on their way to work than would tune into a jazz station.

He's getting a lot better at listening to his guests. Initially he was asking questions they'd already answered a lot which drove me crazy.

The repeating the resume thing isn't so much how often he does it but when he does it. Rather than let the guests be the stars for their 5 minutes his natural reaction seems to be to try to top them. That's getting better too, but there's still a ways to go.

It seems like there are a few basic production things like having the guests miced at the same volume as Dave and not having Dave bark out the instructions to fade in or out the music that would help the listenability.

Is it prime time New York City radio? No.

Is it better than anything you'll hear on NPR at 1pm, or in Louisville Kentucky ever? Yes.

Is it way too expensive a show to run with all the staff plus Dave's big salary to get jazz station ratings? Absolutely.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.11 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is kinda off topic, but how do they know how many people are listening???

Either way i agree with ziggysmalls.
    Fair Warning... It's 5150 Time!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.03.08 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I enjoy the show.

Unfortunately, Dave was like my son who is in first grade. He was learning what to do, but a week's vacation really set him back. I think that he was starting to find a groove and is just getting back. His show today was good and I thoroughly enjoyed his interview with the Bicycling editor. For a minute, he forgot the shtick and was a real guy.

Part of the problem is that Dave wants his show to be a debate about serious issues. At 6:00 a.m. when I am driving to the office for what will clearly be another stressful day, I am not interested in discussing the finer points of illegal immigration. Howard's "wheel of sex", while not increasing anyone's IQ, helps you enjoy the few minutes before your turn in the big wheel of the rat race.

That said, I will miss Dave's show when it's gone.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meleboy
    I have believed this for years and the media and others who arent into Van Halen have confirmed this for me. In many ways most people don't "get" Dave. Yes they get his superficial comments and jokes, but most dont understand where the guy is coming from when he actually talks about things other than music. When I listen to his show on the NET I hear a brilliantly insightful guy who has a hard time dumbing himself down to the average listener. I think this is why Dave has "failed" in the medias eyes over the years. He has always done it his way and has not sold out to his critics which makes me like the guy even more. I'm sure his show will get cancelled and he will move onto another project just as he has in the past. Im not gonna lie I would love to see him back in VH but if it never happens I have enjoyed what he has brought to the table. With the radio gig though as stated above a lot of people will never "get" him and his thought process.
    It is Dave's lack of simplicity that makes him a poor choice for the job. He doesn't appeal to the general audience, only those who are familiar with his character.

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    This is the reason why people cannot "connect" with the show.
    I have to agree here absolutely. It's sort of related to Malmsteen, also at heart quite a cool guy I think. But Malmsteen also feels that he is constantly misunderstoood/underrated and tries to tell people that he's more than his image.

Bad mistake, people that already like and listen to him, don't need to be converted and get annoyed. Others never listen to him regardless what he says because of his image. It's a lose lose proposition.

I think Dave is actually doing quite well with his radio format, because hes doing stuff (from my vantage point at least) and interviewing people others wouldn't dare to. But everyone except him can probably do without the "Dave" as a living art project. Or maybe at most in homeopathic doses.
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbrum
    This is kinda off topic, but how do they know how many people are listening???

Either way i agree with ziggysmalls.

Arbitron is the traditional way. People are asked to keep a log of what stations they have tuned in to every quarter hour, I think. The books have never been a perfect system but it is the system. There may be newer technology that as come along in the past five or so years that I don't know about.
    Last edited by AVH Blues; 03.29.06 at 03:51 PM.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roth is starting to bounce back a little bit in the ratings.

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntr...&pt=todaysnews

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Dave is back today (March 31, 2006) and they have butchered his format.

Song loops...GONE!

Sasha...GONE!

Brian Young...GONE!

Animal...GONE!

It's really sad. Dave is just going through the motions, towing the company line until he can figure out his options. His show just went from bad to worse.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Well maybe this is a good thing for Dave. If MA's interview was any indication, maybe he'll swallow some pride and be more receptive when the VH reunion offer (if it comes) comes around. I'm kind of glad he got his ego hit. I don't mean that in a bad way, but maybe he'll be more open to compromise in the future.

I do feel for him a little though--he didn't really get a chance to grow into his radio shoes.

If there ever was a time to reunite, now is the time.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

I think this ass-kicking will be good for Dave. He says, "They want me to appeal to 35 year old white males who like Lynrd Skynrd and I want to appeal to everyone." Thirty-five year old white males who like Skynrd are also who likes Dave, who liked Howard, and the advertising demographic Inifnity hopes to at least hold onto, if not build on. Van Halen didn't appeal to everybody, they appealed to people like me for whom Slayer was way too hard and Bon Jovi was way too light. "You can please some of the people some of the time..." This isn't 3 a.m. Tuesday morning local NPR, this is prime-time corporate radio in the #1 market in America.

I like the English guy.