Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Default new MXR EVH Flanger in Musician's Friend

I got the new Musician's Friend catalog in the mail today and the new MXR EVH Flanger is in there, featured on the inside cover. The thing is white with black stripes and retails for $300! MF has it for $190 - what a deal for a flanger! I doubt even an 'EVH' logo could make this flanger sound better than the purple Boss BF-2.

I'll be interested to read a review of this unit.

The MXR EVH Phase 90 makes sense 'cause it's a necessary piece of gear to achieve the old EVH tone - and it's not priced too bad. Flanger? Am I wrong, or is Fair Warning like one of the only VH albums with a flanger? I'm sure I'm forgetting a tune or 5... I think MXR/Dunlop should put out an EVH wah pedal, since he has really used this a lot since the FUCK album. (And Charvel should have an EVH model with a Sustainer in it - since that's his favorite new toy.)

And btw, the EVH Charvels are still $2639.99 in the catalog - are these things going to ever come down?

Oh well, it was cool to see the new flanger in there. Too bad it's not 1986...

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Too rich for my blood. Think I'll stick with my BF-2 for now.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'll be ordering mine this week. I gotta replace my 'original'. It's OLD, worn out and too glitchy.

BTW, Chris, the Boss is a decent alternative but nowhere NEAR the sound of the MXR, if you're going for the classic Eddie flanger sound. The MXR sounds like no other flanger I've ever tried, and I've tried a BUNCH. it's just one of those things you can't scrimp on...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    I'll be ordering mine this week. I gotta replace my 'original'. It's OLD, worn out and too glitchy.

BTW, Chris, the Boss is a decent alternative but nowhere NEAR the sound of the MXR, if you're going for the classic Eddie flanger sound. The MXR sounds like no other flanger I've ever tried, and I've tried a BUNCH. it's just one of those things you can't scrimp on...
    I hear ya, but right now I'm just a bedroom guitarist, so I can't really justify spending all that money on an effect that I rarely use. I do wish the BF-2 was much better, but it does the trick for now. I'll pick up the MXR at some point, but it's just a bit too much at the moment.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

You know, I've owned the MXR Distortion +, the Dyna Comp and the new EVH Phase 90, and they were all pretty cool. I can honestly say that I've never played through an MXR Flanger, so I'll take your word for it. It just seems like a lot of $ for a flanger. But based on what you said, I'll make sure to go to GC and play through one.

Is it me or is EVH is trying to get 20 years worth of past endorsement deals since 2004 with his Charvel guitars and MXR gear? And these items are all based on his glory days. He should have done this years ago. Just think if he would have let Kramer sell a striped Baretta how many would have been sold in the 1980s.

Oh well, too expensive too late. But let us know how the EVH Flanger is after you get it - thanks!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I hear ya, but right now I'm just a bedroom guitarist, so I can't really justify spending all that money on an effect that I rarely use. I do wish the BF-2 was much better, but it does the trick for now. I'll pick up the MXR at some point, but it's just a bit too much at the moment.
    LOL! I hear YOU! I just thought you were out giggin' all the time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Nah I'm not playin out these days, although I did get back with an old songwriting partner of mine. We'll see how that goes.

I'm wondering just how good this pedal is gonna sound, so ya gotta post a review once ya get it.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I haven't tried the EVH specifically, but the 'standard' flanger, to me, is light years beyond any other flanger out there. It'd be like comparing an Arion Chorus to the TC Electronics Chorus. Catch my drift?

As far as the price, The MXR has ALWAYS been a little pricier than the standard Boss stuff. The EVH model is only a few bucks more than the regular one - for the graphics and the "Unchained" button, I'm sure. Plus, all the MXR stuff is built like a tank. WELL worth the price, IMHO...
    Last edited by sixstring; 03.28.06 at 07:30 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

It does look pretty bad ass, and I LOVE my EVH MXR Phase, but 190 for a flange???
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smithtone
    Flanger? Am I wrong, or is Fair Warning like one of the only VH albums with a flanger? I'm sure I'm forgetting a tune or 5... (And Charvel should have an EVH model with a Sustainer in it - since that's his favorite new toy.)
    Ed used his Flanger a lot on the first record too. He used it on Ain't Talkin, Atomic Punk, and On Fire.

Other songs include Light Up The Sky (at least I use one during the low part), and of course And The Cradle Will Rock!

I thought Ed used the sustainer as a "crutch" at the beginning of the tour...it was like when he didn't know what to do he reached for the sustainer. The good news is he abandoned it later in the tour when he went to the green Wolfie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:12 AM
    Liked 4,812 Times in 2,456 Posts

Premium Member

Eddie also used the flanger on Aftershock.

Yeah that sustainer was like a new toy however he was using every since Respect the Wind. Funny he did not use it on VH3 that much but on 2004 tour it was like "See this?"

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Eddie also used the flanger on Aftershock.

Yeah that sustainer was like a new toy however he was using every since Respect the Wind. Funny he did not use it on VH3 that much but on 2004 tour it was like "See this?"

Did he use it on "A year to the Day?"......Sounds like it.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Isn't the flanger used throughout Balance?

Watching the Pensacola DVD it looks like he goes to it quite a bit.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

The only tunes I hear it on are Seventh Seal and Aftershock. Live he kicks it on a lot. As much as I try, I can never kick it on in the right spot like he does. He just always find that sweet spot.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

I'm definitely getting one, especially since my band is playing out this summer...I've always wanted an MXR flanger instead of the Boss BF-2.

If you've never played an old MXR flanger, try it....it blows the shit out of the BF-2.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!