F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

satriani's ibanez

hello;

has anyone got any opinion on satriani's ibanez guitar? how well ...or if it matches up to the wolfgang's tone ?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 poundcake
    hello;

has anyone got any opinion on satriani's ibanez guitar? how well ...or if it matches up to the wolfgang's tone ?
    If I was going to buy any Ibanez it would be the Satriani model. The neck has a very different feel to the likes of the Jem - more like an old Fender profile with smaller frets. Tone wise, the Fred pup is very middly and quite high output without being over the top - great for squeals. I can't compare it to a Wolfgang as I've never spent any time with one of those.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A Wolfgang Std. is my main axe (and has been for 10 years), the two other guitars I tried were the PRS (several different models) and the Ibanez Satriani Model. The PRS was the most flexable in tone, but the neck in the Wolfie was more comfortable. The D-Tuna also sold me and I wanted a Floyd. I can't pull up on it though (but don't usually anyway unless I am playing Satriani type stuff).

The Satch model Ibanez was awesome though, I liked how it played. I own an old Ibanez RG-550 (think of it as a VERY stripped down Jem at least their early models). When I got it in 1989, I loved the neck, now I HATE it. It's wide and thin. Horrible to switch back and forth from the Wolfie (the RG-550 is my backup guitar). The newer Ibanezes seem to basically play the same, however the Satch model is a different neck much nicer feel.

The Pickups in the Satch model are a little to midrangey and harsh for me. I think for me, the Wolfgang pickups are the best. I play VH, Satriani kind of stuff. Agreed the harmonics are easier to eek out on the Satch model, it's a very open sound. But this is so subjective and depends on what amp you play through. I think the Satch guitar would probably sound great with the Peavey JSX amp and Mesa Boogie Rectifier series (What Satriani uses). I play my Wolfie with a 5150 half stack and occasionally with a Boogie MKIII.

I am a huge Satch fan as well as VH, so if anyone wants to buy me a Satch Ibanez I'd play it ;-)

Tough call...however the Satch model IS still in production!!! The Wolfgang is not :-(
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the input!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2
    If I was going to buy any Ibanez it would be the Satriani model. The neck has a very different feel to the likes of the Jem - more like an old Fender profile with smaller frets. Tone wise, the Fred pup is very middly and quite high output without being over the top - great for squeals. I can't compare it to a Wolfgang as I've never spent any time with one of those.
    I don't believe the Satch pickups are particularly High output. They measure about 10k Which is much closer to PAF territory than high output