Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default The most stressful era/time in your life??

I don't mean this to be a bummer of a thread, but we all go through tough times in our lives, and I think sharing all of this brings us Linkers a bit closer together. I'll start.

1999 was to say the least a tough year for me. In Feb of that year my older brother attempted suicide. In April of that year, I started a new postion at work, 80 mile drive one way, new people, new environment, it can be tough. In May, my first wife asked for a divorce. I was blindsided, didn't see it coming at all...I had given this woman ten years of my life, thought we were happily married, and then, bam, she's gone. In July, I took a second new postion at work...less drive time, but, new people..etc, etc...later that month my brother decided drinking ati-freeze was a good idea, his second attempt at suicide. My divorce became final in August of that year. So to sum up, in a six month period, My big bro, attempted suicide twice, my wife left me, I changed jobs twice, I sold and bought a home, and at one point, I had no idea where the hell I was going to live. It was an era that affected me for years to come, and I'm sure does now, but fortunately, life is grand now....but isn't it amazing how you can be cruising along and things are great...or so you think, and Life can take one big shit on you. This life can be one crazy ride!!
    Last edited by againstthewind; 03.25.06 at 12:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right here, right now is pretty stressful for me. I'm trying to open a second restaurant. I know, one is already too many but I had a good oppertunity for the new place. The place hasn't been touched for about 30 years. There is a lot to updates to be done and we keep running into problems like a break in the sewer line, and the heater is shot, and my new neighbor is a psychotic asshole and is fucking with my construction guys who are working there, saying "I am going to ruin his buisness", because I am going to open for lunch and the previous owner had a deal with him to only open for dinner. But I am taking deep breaths often and taking in the good and letting out the bad. Everything happens for a reason.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Honestly, right now is the most stressful time ever for me.

I will be medically retired from the Marine Corps this coming Friday after 14 years (the last two have been pretty rough because of an injury and botched surgury), it's been a stress trying to get all my stuff completed on time, I was actually not expecting to get out until the end of next month but thing's changed. Also, im getting married in 3 weeks and I haven't been able to find a job yet (those two shouldn't be connected but im going to throw them into the same sentence), I think the wedding should FINALLY be payed for, but some stuff will come up, and im sure it will cost hundreds of dollars, everything else seems to. My $6000.00 wedding is running me about $9500.00 at the moment, the soon to be new wife doesn't seem to understand the purpose or importance of a budget.

All of this stuff has really put me into a little depresion, and im suprised it's actually happening to me. A month ago I was sleeping most of the day and not really doing anything to make myself feel better, this had been going on for a few month's, it's amazing how stuff like that sneaks up on you. Im doing better now but I can still feel it nagging at me, it's like a little voice telling you to do nothing because there is so much to do, like there's no point so why try. It's difficult trying to hide how I feel from my family and girlfriend, I have always been the steady one so I don't want anyone to know how im really feeling right now, I just want it to be over (Marine Corps) and start something new (job).

Im glad that it all should be over with soon, the Marine Corps thing is basically done, I wish I had more time to knock some stuff out but that's not going to happen. The wedding is going to happen, it will be fine. I will find another job, it's not the end of the world since I will be drawing retirement but I do need to find something. It's funny how time can seem to be moving so fast yet nothing seems to happen unless im making it happen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I had a couple of really tough years between the ages of 17 and 19. In July '89 my mother was diagnosed with liver cancer. In Sept. '89 a 14-yr. old friend of mine died of complications from a lifetime of illness. My great aunt, whom I was close to died shortly thereafter. In the next several months, my mother died, my good friend from high school died, my godfather died, my grandfather died, my dad's best friend (and my "second dad") died of a massive heart attack, I turned 18 and was about to leave for college, and my dad (after being married to my mom for 26 years) got remarried RIGHT after I left for college after losing my mom only 6 months prior.

HOWEVER...because of those events and how closely they fell together, I am who I am today. I'm emotionally very strong but not jaded. I love with my entire being (b/c I've realized that those I hold closest to my heart can go at any minute) and I believe life should be lived to THE ABSOLUTE FULLEST (in whatever way one would define that). I'm an eternal optimist but also realistic. I do believe that things happen for a reason and that God's timing is perfect (even though we don't sometimes understand it).

Most importantly, I believe there is always good in every situation if we only look hard enough for it. During that incredibly stressful and heart-breaking time in my life, I met the LOVE of my life. We've now been married for 14 wonderful years.

Perserverance creates character. It's very difficult at times but in my opinion, life is too great and too precious not to keep on living it with everything I've got!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Being unemployed for 6 straight months back 1998 was pretty suckworthy. Damn near left my credit in ruins.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

This whole week. Just the stress of my teachers giving me all of this college crap to swallow all at once and I couldnt take it anymore and had a breakdown the other night. I know that is only minor compared to some of the other instances but it still counts as being stressfull. And with graduation only 2 months away, im cramming everything I can right now into my brain. But on top of all this, me and liz have been having a few issues which doesnt really help any. I wont go into details about it but its slowly getting better, just as long as I keep my mouth shut about it.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles
    I had a couple of really tough years between the ages of 17 and 19. In July '89 my mother was diagnosed with liver cancer. In Sept. '89 a 14-yr. old friend of mine died of complications from a lifetime of illness. My great aunt, whom I was close to died shortly thereafter. In the next several months, my mother died, my good friend from high school died, my godfather died, my grandfather died, my dad's best friend (and my "second dad") died of a massive heart attack, I turned 18 and was about to leave for college, and my dad (after being married to my mom for 26 years) got remarried RIGHT after I left for college after losing my mom only 6 months prior.

HOWEVER...because of those events and how closely they fell together, I am who I am today. I'm emotionally very strong but not jaded. I love with my entire being (b/c I've realized that those I hold closest to my heart can go at any minute) and I believe life should be lived to THE ABSOLUTE FULLEST (in whatever way one would define that). I'm an eternal optimist but also realistic. I do believe that things happen for a reason and that God's timing is perfect (even though we don't sometimes understand it).

Most importantly, I believe there is always good in every situation if we only look hard enough for it. During that incredibly stressful and heart-breaking time in my life, I met the LOVE of my life. We've now been married for 14 wonderful years.

Perserverance creates character. It's very difficult at times but in my opinion, life is too great and too precious not to keep on living it with everything I've got!

Great post, really great. You are right, the sun can shine the brightest after the darkest times. My Brother eventually did take his own life.... three weeks later I met a wonderfull gal, we were married less than six months after that. The last three years have been amazing, anyone out there going through tough times, please hold on...it can turn around.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

1993 hasta be it for me cause that's when the ex left.

2000 cause that's when my dad passed away.

Every day stress is somethin I'm used to now.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

May of 2003 started it for me. My first child was 5 mos. old & my wife was & is a stay-home mom. I was diagnosed w/ a brain tumor & had surgery for a "de-bulking" of it. We were extremely anxious about the tumor being benign or not. Fortunately it was & I have made a full recovery although I do take several medications for seizures caused by the tumor. I also get MRI's every 6 mos. to survey the stability of the remaining tumor so I get stressed wondering if the other shoe is gonna drop & it's gonna get active again. I have 2 boys now & wife & I just moved into our new house. Between having a second child & building a house all on one income, the last 3 years have been a wild ride.

Bottom line is: God is good & I've been incredibly blessed thru it all so regardless of the outcome, I know he's in control of it. Don't sweat the petty things.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen brother. Health, love, and family are the key. If you have these, you are doing pretty well.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wrecking my back and getting laid off because of it. That was back in 2001.

I'd been working there for 15 years and it was all for nothing. The injury left me perminantly disabled, no longer able to do the shipping/werehouse jobs I had the most experience with. I got retrained in computers just as the California tech market went tits-up. Endless hours in rehab, rebuilding my back, unable to find steady work and being unemployed for almost a year.
    Putting on 100lbs because I'm stupid. Not realizing that my body-building/power-lifting days are done and I can't eat like I'm benching 250lbs and squat-pressing 750lbs every day. Spending most of that year immobile, unable to walk very far. being cut off from all of my friends, unable to go anywhere because I had no money. Almost blacking out on the highway due to lack of food and eating catsup.

Yep, pretty much sucked.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Mine would have to be December of 1994-my senior year of college. I was taking Business Calculus class-math is far from my strong suit. I had senioritis pretty bad and the class was at 730 am. On top of that, the teacher was an Oriental guy who no one understood. I screwed around the whole semester and backed myself into a corner where I had to ace the final just to get a D in the class. On top of that, I was looking for a job for after I graduated, assuming I was going to graduate. Two weeks before the final, I went to the library w/my math book, started at chapter one, and worked my way through the book. My friends were worried about me-they thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. My old room mate would joke w/me to lighten the situation-he'd tell me the teacher would say, "You sucky, sucky, you passy passy." in an oriental voice. I took the final, aced it, and graduated. Very very stressful time.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles

Truely great post.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

For me it was around 1999 to 2004. In the begining I resurected a dieing family business to have it basically swept away from me during it's most prosperous times due to a backstabbing from a family member. I learned from this handshake agreements even with the very closest of family members are never held. Due to this stress it almost ruined my marriage. My wife is a great person for putting up with my crap during this time.

From this I picked up and moved my family to Florida. Of course I saw Van Halen 3 times that summer in 8 days and basically delayed my move for 2 months for that tour. I called it my Farewell tour from NJ.

In the past year and a half I have started a new job and have been extremely lucky. In the past month I have been promoted a manager's position in the busiest store in a chain out of 800 in my state. We moved down here basically knowing few people and have met many awesome ones. I have learned not to take my wife and kids for granted and enjoy every possible moment I have now with them. Every day now for the last year and a half has been like Christmas with never ending gifts. I have been truely lucky. (knock on wood)

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, i may be only 17, and seeing as stress is part of the teenage years, it isnt as minor considering your parents splitting up(2002) and getting a divorce(2003). i love my mom to death- she has helped me alot. my "father" on the other hand is a scum muncher. i hate to call him that, but it is true. all the stress he put me and my mom under was unbelivable. he adores my brother without any hesitation to help him, becuase it benifits my bro. to my "father" i am seen a a rejct pretty much. trying to earn your parents respect is something every (atleast i hope every) child strives for. being the oldest does not help either.

that night that my parents split was hard on everyone. we (me my mom and bro) had no clue what was to come next. we lived with my aunt for 6 months or so. when we were signed up for school here, i was failing everything. call it what you want, but i was stressed from being pulled out of my own enviroment. i fell asleep during class, i didnt do the required assigments (i only did work for my english/literacy class). when we got to where we live now, my bro got a million times worse. so, the divorce was finalized the following year, my "father" not paying up the court ordered child support, my bro getting worse, me trying to find a job and being hounded by my mom why i didnt get the job...the whole 9 yards.

and now, school. high school should be one of the best times of your life right? well, not for me. straight "D"s my freshman year of english. i want to do something with a magazine- like writing or something. i want to become a writer for a newspaper, or a music critic. they dont teach that here. they dont even teach what skills are needed for the real world. they teach "a squared plus b squared equals c squared" or what ever. why in the world would i use that if i plan on doing something not related to math? and the fact that my teacher back in 7th grade called me a failure, and all i did was cry that day. then my music theory 2 student teacher called me that, because i refused to sing for him. it was wet(not 3 drops on the shirt wet-SOAKING wet), my throat was soar, and plus, i was gonna puke by the way the guy smelled if i opened my mouth (i was taller than him, and he failed me. i refused to do work for him). now, im failing phys ed (the teach- he is cool, just a little too....how do i say- crazy? for my liking(im only failing by a few points)(i dont like this class go figure)) and i know im gonna be forced to take it over again, unless i change...

im kinda thinking im never gonna get where i want to be in life, unless i go to college...i gont something from a university in england(i forget which one) and tuition for a pre college gig is almost $6000.00. my mom said that if she had the money she would send me- even if it was for pre college and a month long (f*** yea, i would go!). all my friends have cars and all, and i have nothing. they dont even have jobs, but their daddys and mommys go and pay for them. my mom said again if she had the money, she would go and buy herself a chevy trailblazer and give me the current car. but the money is the role in life, and if you dont have it, you cannot survive.

i gues you can call that more of a rant if you'd wish, but it is stress to me. life is hard...what can one say? ive tried to live my life in the past 3 months with the following words of mine: "if life sucks, swallow."
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"