Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Hagar wanted to change VH's sound

If you guys and gals remember the transcripts of Hagar's book he wanted to change VH's sound. Ed if I recall correctly was more receptive to it than Al. Soon after Ed kicked Hagar out the door (Thank God).

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that you people are so quick to judge but slow to understand.

I've never heard of "The Chemical Brothers" but you guys must remember that Sammy tried the same thing.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Excerpt:

Japan had always been a stronghold for Van Halen, and the whole band was looking forward to the seven sold-out dates they were playing. Kari remained behind to make the final arrangements for the couple's November 29 wedding at Mt. Tamalpais, near Mill Valley. She would rendezvous with her future husband in Hawaii, along with the other wives, for the final two shows starting Nov. 4. Hagar's San Francisco flight arrived in Tokyo a few hours before everyone else, because they left from Los Angeles. His long flight across the Pacific had given him a considerable amount of time to rethink the group's musical future. Again, the band's subdued reception in Europe continued to haunt him. Van Halen needed to reinvent itself, period. Sammy
    was convinced a new wrinkle needed to be added to the mix. "If Van Halen wanted to be a truly celebrated band," he contended, "our music needed to be accepted worldwide. I can't tell you how much our dismal experience in Europe that summer affected me. It was the catalyst I needed to formulate a new direction for our next record. Bon Jovi may have been touring on a greatest hits record, but they were huge in Europe, much bigger than we ever hoped to be. This band had never taken off there, because we never worked the continent like we should have. Eddie and I needed to write another album then extensively tour there afterwards. But, to appeal to a worldwide audience, I strongly believed we needed to somewhat change our
    music. With Eddie playing guitar, we'd always sound like Van Halen, so I wasn't going to concoct something for the band to do that would con the audience. Hagar wanted to travel the world with Eddie and Alex in
    hopes they would draw inspiration from the different types of music they were exposed to. He talked at length with Alex about changing in his drum beat in order to put a whole new spin on Eddie's music. "I wanted all of us to go to dance clubs worldwide," he declared. "I wanted to go to London, Paris, Rome, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles to listen to the grooves coming out of the dance clubs there. Listen, I hate dance music, but I thought Alex would hear something in the grooves, then come up with a hip
    new beat for the next album. I wanted all of us to analyze the sound, turn it into a rock beat and make a couple of songs that were totally augmented versions of some twisted electronic dance music. I was positive
    that's where the future in rock was. Rock and roll music is old fashioned in a sense. I wanted to capture a feeling from Van Halen that no one had ever heard before. Eddie has so many musical dimensions to him that's what always separated him from the pack. His versatility is amazing. That's why everyone went wow, when he played keyboards on 'Jump.' That's why I wanted Alex to hear a beat instead of playing the same old thing he'd been doing from this band's beginning. When Peter Gabriel came out with 'Shock the Monkey,' that was a brand new beat. When the Police heard Bob Marley's reggae music, they incorporated that sound into their own music and rode it all the way to the top. I was hoping these guys would get inspired by my
    idea. Eddie was interested, but Al goes, "Ah man, it's all one, two, three, four." He just didn't get it. Van Halen was the hottest rock and roll band in the '80s. Hagar wanted them to be the coolest group of the '90s.
    In order to accomplish that, a musical spark was needed from an outside source that would enable them to explore that unknown territory. "Eddie and I were like Robert Plant and Jimmy Page," he said proudly. "We
    could take our songs , transcend the normal parameters of music, and go off in any direction we chose. This band would always be Van Halen, no matter what we did, because of Eddie's guitar playing. Now I'll admit
    this idea could have gone either way. It could have been great or really sucked. We could have tried it and said, "This ain't in our hearts. This is not Van Halen. "That would have been fine with me, because we tried.
    When the Beatles wrote "Sgt. Pepper's, "they took acid and changed their musical style completely. I was
    hoping that we could listen to music created under a different environment and draw something out of that.
    Van Halen had been a giant influence on every band that came up through the '80s. Now I wanted us to be
    defined by great rock and roll songs, not as an inspiration to other musicians and groups. Hagar began
    thinking about redefining Van Halen's sound as far back as the "Live: Right Here, Right Now" tour. An
    experience at a Miami disco club opened the singer's eyes to a brand new world of sound he didn't know
    existed. The music was so powerful, he even suggested the band rent a house in the desert, overdose on
    mushrooms, and trip out for three or four days after the tour ended. He figured the experience would change
    everyone's lives, and they could go directly into the studio and make a record. Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton
    and John Lennon had written some of their greatest songs when they were under the influence. Hagar says he
    doesn't endorse the unorthodox method to create music. He just thought it was an option worth exploring,
    since he felt the band's music was tired and needed to be reformulated. Ed Leffler's death quashed those
    ambitious plans. Instead, the songwriter would use his divorce as the vehicle to modify his lyrical approach to
    writing more grown-up songs. "Before we started writing the next record," pictured the Red Rocker, "I was
    hoping the brothers would understand my desire to shake things up musically. I was hoping Alex would hear
    something in the sound of dance music that I don't understand. I really tried to get him interested in the
    direction I was wanting to take. Imagine Eddie's playing guitar to this great new beat, and I'm singing lyrics
    that aren't corny. The position I was coming from was this. "Edward, you are one of the greatest rock and
    roll musicians ever from the beginning of time. I want to be that good of a lyricist. You and I together will
    write the greatest rock and roll songs ever. "I'm telling you, we would have accomplished something
    extraordinary. Believe it or not, U2 ended up doing the exact same thing I wanted to do on their 1997 album.
    If all this shit hadn't gone down between us, we would have beaten them to the punch It really was
    unfortunate.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

And?

Like they wisely decided with Roth, they didn't do it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 281 Times in 135 Posts

And your point? Two musical ideas shot down by the VH brothers... or you just looking for another chance to bash Sammy? (Thank God)

This feels like a free post to me!
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 572 Times in 313 Posts

Donor

Has there ever been any real confirmation from Sammy about whether that supposed unpublished book is for real or not?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spanked55

This feels like a free post to me!
    I've been out of the loop for the bit but what is this "free post" stuff?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,594 Times in 4,942 Posts

So Van Halen didn't let Sam fuck the sound of the band up, like they wouldn't let Dave. So what's the news here?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:29 AM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    So Van Halen didn't let Sam fuck the sound of the band up, like they wouldn't let Dave. So what's the news here?
    No news, Fanatic's simply trying to stir the pot by illustrating Sammy's various evil plots to destroy the mighty Van Halen.

Too bad it's really Ed who's to blame (if indeed somebody needs to be blamed) for the sound change of the band in the mid-eighties.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 03.23.06 at 09:58 PM.

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bullshit. Ed IS Van Halen, the others factor in, but he is the lynchpin in the musical equation, and if Sam and Mike can write better tunes, they have yet to show it.

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, I would think any talented drummer would be insulted by this suggestion.

Secondly, if this is real, when did it happen? The time around Humans Being, or before the renuion tour? Maybe Dave and Sam were listening to, too much Dance music on their tour together... To me this shows how little creativity Sam has as an artist. He's just trying to jump on a mainstream, lets sell more albums, music compromise, and that's too bad.

I think there's a huge difference in the police taking some Bob Marley/ Reggae sounds vs just trying to cop a mainstream popular sound, like dance music.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 973 Times in 390 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    Bullshit. Ed IS Van Halen, the others factor in, but he is the lynchpin in the musical equation, and if Sam and Mike can write better tunes, they have yet to show it.
    i don't like that quote about mikey

mike stated somewhere the tunes where he was actively involved in, and i remember him mentioning romeo delight and why can't this be love among others

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I sorta agree with Sammy in that the band needed a new direction, but I think they took one with "Balance." It wasn't what he wanted, but I think the darker turn was a good thing. If they did another party rock album, they would have looked like they were stuck in the past. Eddie knew this, and he was the one who wrote the riffs and the controlled, bluesy solos that were still Eddie yet a different side of him. I think the band always moved forward up until the BOBW tracks a few years ago. "Learning to See" was the only progressive one while the other two were just fun rock songs. Nothing wrong with that, because they thought they were starting over again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,594 Times in 4,942 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    Well I don't believe Ed can do it by himself, VH 3 is evidence, but without Ed's songwriting and musicianship, there is no VH.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 973 Times in 390 Posts

not crazy about the vox on III. the lack of al's kick drums, mike's background vox, etc, i enjoyed the music of it.

the production stunk.

could have been a lot better

some of those tunes are excellent live

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed. He is the source of the genius. How many VH songs has Mike written? Sam hasnt presented music to the boys. Hes not that dumb. VH kinda starts and finishes with Ed, no? Thats really why we are all hanging out and waiting, its to see what ED does.
    Last edited by pfloyd; 03.23.06 at 10:36 PM.