Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default Good Bye Filene's :(

To many of us here in Boston, Filene's is an insititution we grew up with and it is closing soon. Today, I took a walk through the Filene's in Downtown Crossing, on Washington Street, and it was very depressing to see the departments empty with all but worthless markdowns. I will miss the winter scenes during the holiday season, I realized not because of the religious meaning (I know I am doing a complete 180 in my previous arguement which I still stand by) but because it was an unique institution particular to Boston and all of New England. This is a devistating blow to the city of Boston, and the local economy that a flagship store of the local area falls victim to Macy's and corporate greed. I only hope that maybe the May Company (Macy's Parent Company) will keep the Filene's name for the Downtown Boston store, and operate as just one store, keeping the tradition of Filene's alive. But chances are it is going to be a target, or another store that has no local ties to the community.

Any other thoughts from local Bostonians?

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Marshall Fields is going through the same crap over here.

Damn Macys.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.01.16 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Too Bad

I'm not from Boston, but when I head down to Northboro, Ma to visit fam. there, one of the first places I head to is filene's over at long pond mall in westboro...well that sucks
    "The only honest job I've ever had was a paper route and that was to buy a musical instrument." - Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

i understand the feeling i was born in new britian conn and lived in springfeild mass . so i remember those window settings come xmas time. but since i live in fla now , santa comes in by either jet ski or a power boat. go figure.. times are sure changing . cant believe april is almost here.............

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Filene's....

Just so the non-New England types can relate. Filene's coined the slogan:

"The Customer's ALWAYS right!"

So, if any of you have ever worked retail and had that phrase thrown at you, now you know where it came from.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I feel your pain. In the Pacific NW we had "The Bon March'e", Macy's purchased them and changed the name. Many holiday traditions went down the toilet when Macy's came into the picture.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Isn't it obvious?
    Last Online

09.13.06 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to a Filene's Basement in Chicago once. Damn! I wish I could have got there more often and I'm sorry to see the chain go.
    Honey, I ain't through with you!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Isn't it obvious?
    Last Online

09.13.06 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    I feel your pain. In the Pacific NW we had "The Bon March'e", Macy's purchased them and changed the name. Many holiday traditions went down the toilet when Macy's came into the picture.
    If Macy's changes the traditions at the Marshall Fields in Chicago (Christmas tree lighting ceremony, Christmas windows, etc.) -- it won't be pretty!
    Honey, I ain't through with you!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

You can pretty much write them off now... OLO's right. In fact, I still refuse to call The Bon by it's new name...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.03.15 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian
    To many of us here in Boston, Filene's is an insititution we grew up with and it is closing soon. Today, I took a walk through the Filene's in Downtown Crossing, on Washington Street, and it was very depressing to see the departments empty with all but worthless markdowns. I will miss the winter scenes during the holiday season, I realized not because of the religious meaning (I know I am doing a complete 180 in my previous arguement which I still stand by) but because it was an unique institution particular to Boston and all of New England. This is a devistating blow to the city of Boston, and the local economy that a flagship store of the local area falls victim to Macy's and corporate greed. I only hope that maybe the May Company (Macy's Parent Company) will keep the Filene's name for the Downtown Boston store, and operate as just one store, keeping the tradition of Filene's alive. But chances are it is going to be a target, or another store that has no local ties to the community.

Any other thoughts from local Bostonians?
    We had a similar situation here a couple of years ago. A local department store that had been in business for nearly 100 years was bought out by Macy's. They had 5 or 6 locations, Macy's closed all but two of them opting to keep only their two mall locations open. One of the stores closed was located in the downtown historic area of the city in a building that was nearly 150 years old. Of course, they tore it down. This city, like many, has no regard for the past and seems to like tearing down old historic buildings. They kept the Goldsmith's name at first, but changed it to Macy's a few months after the buyout. We used to have a couple of thriving locally owned grocery stores here too. Stores that really were institutions in this city that people had grown up with and known all their lives. They have both been bought out by larger chains in the last few years and seen all but a few of their locations closed. There really is no such thing as a successful, large scale retailer that's locally owned in this city anymore. Even the music stores here have been affected. Guitar Center has opened a location here and a couple of cool guitar shops that were located near it have closed.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrownSound
    We had a similar situation here a couple of years ago. A local department store that had been in business for nearly 100 years was bought out by Macy's. They had 5 or 6 locations, Macy's closed all but two of them opting to keep only their two mall locations open. One of the stores closed was located in the downtown historic area of the city in a building that was nearly 150 years old. Of course, they tore it down. This city, like many, has no regard for the past and seems to like tearing down old historic buildings. They kept the Goldsmith's name at first, but changed it to Macy's a few months after the buyout. We used to have a couple of thriving locally owned grocery stores here too. Stores that really were institutions in this city that people had grown up with and known all their lives. They have both been bought out by larger chains in the last few years and seen all but a few of their locations closed. There really is no such thing as a successful, large scale retailer that's locally owned in this city anymore. Even the music stores here have been affected. Guitar Center has opened a location here and a couple of cool guitar shops that were located near it have closed.
    Hey Brownsound,

Filene's flagship building in downtown boston is a national historical landmark, and will never be torn down as a result. They cannot do much to it, unless it is from the inside or something like that. Our grocery stores are gone too in Massachusetts it seems. Although we still do have Marketbasket and Stop and Shop (but no longer a locally owned company). It is really horrible that all the local companies are being gobbled up by large companies like Macy and what not. well Filenes is still filenes for the time being, and in fact I may take pictures of it before it is gone forever.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Macy's bought out our local department store, Lazarus. They also closed the big downtown store which was massive (six floors in a building that took up most of a city block) but that did make some sense due to the size. It will always be Lazzie's to me (which is what my Nana always called it). Can still remember going downtown at Xmas where they took the whole sixth floor and made it a winter wonderland, the street windows where done up or you could talk to Mr. Tree in the children's department. Wow, that was a trip down memory lane.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I didn't realise Macy's was taking over all of these stores. For the longest part of my life they were this big benevolent store in New York City that was behind the Thanksgiving Day parade.

They also took over a store down here - Burdines. I don't know much about Burdines' history as I've only been a Floridian for 10 years, but I'm definitely familiar with Filenes. Is Jordan Marsh still around?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 11,569 Times in 4,932 Posts

Happened in LA years ago, when Macy's bought some stores here, as did a company called May Co. We had a department store chain called Broadway, now they're just Macys. And we had a chain called Robinsons, and when May Co. bought them, at least they kind of kept the name, Robinsons/May.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Dave
    I'm not from Boston, but when I head down to Northboro, Ma to visit fam. there, one of the first places I head to is filene's over at long pond mall in westboro...well that sucks
    Its the Solomon Pond Mall.

I also hope they keep it Filenes in downtown crossing. But I don't believe the will.
    Alot of the Filenes I have heard will either become a Macys if there isn't one at that same mall, or they will become a Bloomingdales (another May Co. store)
    Last edited by Eddymon; 03.24.06 at 08:25 AM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.