Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo-House of Pain
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default My BEST VH memory

Seems like there is tension all over this board so I thought I would start a non-confrontational thread about our best VH memory.

I was at the 1988 OU812 tour and snuck back stage at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. I saw Private Life (The opening Act), then got busted before VH came out. I was standing outside for a few minutes when out came a few limos. Eddie stuck his hand out the window and I missed a hand -slap by meer inches. Slow reaction time, I guess.

Anyone else wanna share good memories?
    MTV ruined music!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

06.12.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

RHRN Tour at Darien Lake.
    We had set-up a Camp Halen of sorts, a tent with a huge VH banner flying. Had the kegs / grill going. Everyone in the lot seemed to have their own pre-concert mix rolling. Very cool scene. In the middle of pounding beers we heard the sound check going down. We could hear Sammy say - "this is for the guys in the parking lot".
    They ripped off Mine all Mine, Runaround, bits of Running with the Devil, and tons of jamming. That was the coolest vibe ever. Sitting back with my friends killing beers and listening to VH jam 3-4 hours before the concert. Granted we were still in the parking lot, but it felt like VH was playing a mini concert just for us.
    Fast forward to the show we manage to work our way to about 3-4 deep from the stage. Being that close is a total battle. Constant elbows, knees to the back, rank smells, dudes pissing on the people in front of them (yeah it happened). The tight quarters made the experience all the more memorable.
    We had said on the drive to the show that if they played anything off from Fair Warning that we could die happy. (knowing it would never happen)
    Prior to the web, you actually had to attend the show to get the set-list, so there was always a shot they would pull out a classic.
    Sure enough after a Sammy intro Eddie rips into Unchained and the place goes off. The rush of adrenaline was off the charts. Felt like the Gods were smiling on us. The highlight to the best show I have ever seen.
    Of course after the buzz wore off and we drove home the next day, we thought man could you even imagine seeing the classic line-up? Every song was like Unchained. Thinking back even when things were good with the band, I still selfishly wanted more. Stupid kid!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Dare I mention my best (or most unfoggy) VH memory here?

I think I did in a past thread like this but it took a lot of thinking to remember back that far.
    Last edited by smithjc; 03.20.06 at 04:20 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

2 come to mind.

1. Meeting Eddie (again), and getting to hang albeit briefly with he and Gary at the Hard Rock Cafe Boston thanks to a mutual friend I had at the time with Gary.

2. In Providence during the 5150 tour meeting the band and giving Eddie a cig ( I guess he forgot his in the dressing room or something) its was a Marlboro Light and I don't believe it was his brand. If I still smoked I'd be after him for owing me a cig, but if he puts out some new music soon I will forget all about it.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 03.20.06 at 05:04 PM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.25.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scherb
    RHRN Tour at Darien Lake.
    We had set-up a Camp Halen of sorts, a tent with a huge VH banner flying. Had the kegs / grill going. Everyone in the lot seemed to have their own pre-concert mix rolling. Very cool scene. In the middle of pounding beers we heard the sound check going down. We could hear Sammy say - "this is for the guys in the parking lot".
    They ripped off Mine all Mine, Runaround, bits of Running with the Devil, and tons of jamming. That was the coolest vibe ever. Sitting back with my friends killing beers and listening to VH jam 3-4 hours before the concert. Granted we were still in the parking lot, but it felt like VH was playing a mini concert just for us.
    Fast forward to the show we manage to work our way to about 3-4 deep from the stage. Being that close is a total battle. Constant elbows, knees to the back, rank smells, dudes pissing on the people in front of them (yeah it happened). The tight quarters made the experience all the more memorable.
    We had said on the drive to the show that if they played anything off from Fair Warning that we could die happy. (knowing it would never happen)
    Prior to the web, you actually had to attend the show to get the set-list, so there was always a shot they would pull out a classic.
    Sure enough after a Sammy intro Eddie rips into Unchained and the place goes off. The rush of adrenaline was off the charts. Felt like the Gods were smiling on us. The highlight to the best show I have ever seen.
    Of course after the buzz wore off and we drove home the next day, we thought man could you even imagine seeing the classic line-up? Every song was like Unchained. Thinking back even when things were good with the band, I still selfishly wanted more. Stupid kid!
    I was at that show too and I remember looking over the fence to see the soundcheck and remember Sammy saying that-- "this one is for the guys in the parking lot." They also played Won't Get Fooled Again during soundcheck. I saw them the very next night in Weedsport NY (near Syracuse) at the fairgrounds/speedway. They played Unchained too and I felt like I was the only one that new the words. Great times!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Best memory? The first Halen show I ever saw at the Fabulous Forum, Inglewood, Ca. 7/3/86. My ex-GF (yes, she was my ex at the time - invited me anyway) paid for it all - or at least one of her parents did .... limo too.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,615 Times in 993 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    Best memory? The first Halen show I ever saw at the Fabulous Forum, Inglewood, Ca. 7/3/86. My ex-GF (yes, she was my ex at the time - invited me anyway) paid for it all - or at least one of her parents did .... limo too.

Just think...we coulda walked right by each other. Heck, I coulda been the asswipe who grabbed your ex's ass by the beer stand.

Man, I was so strung out at that show, I may as well have levitated down to the floor.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo-House of Pain
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the Darien show, it was 4th of July. They played Rockin in the free world. That was the best VH show I ever saw. That parking lot was one big awesome ass party. I was at the Weedsport show the night before. 2 days of VH in a row. Ah....good times.

Another time, I threw my hat on stage during the MA solo (I can't remember which show) MA put it on during the solo. He threw it back in another direction so I never got it back. It was a Navy Blue ball cap, had a grinning devil on the front and said FUCT on the back. I loved that hat.
    MTV ruined music!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Man, I was so strung out at that show, I may as well have levitated down to the floor.

no pun intended, I'm sure.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,615 Times in 993 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    no pun intended, I'm sure.

The Great Western Forum....ah, so much Halenization occurred within its halls....FW, DD, '84, 5150, FUCK, Balance...heck, I don't think I've been back nor even driven by since Balance in '95. Isn't it a part-time church now or something?

Staples Center seemed small by comparison, in '04.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 03.20.06 at 06:41 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    The Great Western Forum....ah, so much Halenization occurred within its halls....FW, DD, '84, 5150, FUCK, Balance...heck, I don't think I've been back nor even driven by since Balance in '95. Isn't it a part-time church now or something?

Dunno....but to me it's the Church of Rush. Saw them there 3 times.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

great thread at the right time.

I guess i'll get the first cvh story in..
    So many great memories and this one's been told before, but for me, its that unreal.
    It was the Fair Warning tour and we were in philly. Went down real early in the day to find tix, see what was happening. Somehow, we got word that the band was at the hotel down the street, so we went.
    When we got there, there was a small crowd outside and cops guarding the doors. Noone was allowed in w/o a room so everyone was just standing around.
    Now i have no recollection of how we did it, but the next thing you know im standing inside the lobby on the payphone, trying to figure out how to work this. As luck would have it, the guy on the phone next to me turned out to be a roadie for the band and he heard we were trying to get a room. So he gives me a name and tells me to go talk to some guy and the next thing you know we are headed to our room on the floor below the floor the band rented out. We get to our room, walk in and there's a gallon of JD in a champagne bucket, iced to enjoy. Oh, and we found two tix to the show.
    So we go to the show, which was unreal and when its over, the night begins.
    To make a long story short, we spent the whole night partying in the hotel w/ roadies and people and the band came down as well. I met DLR who signed a backstage pass for me, met Mikey, who i swear was a regular joe like us, just shooting the breeze, had alex invite us onto his bus, which didnt happen because the security guys wouldnt let us leave and then the surreal, when Ed and val came out, w/ eddie's luggage cart which had nothing but guitar cases on it. I was stuuned and managed to walk up to say hello and he gave me a pic and said hello. HE and val didnt say ten words..they were very shy and kept to themselves. I'll always remeber how short Ed was--he was/is a giant to me so it was surprising to see reality. it didnt matter, but it was wild to see him as a human,strange as that sounds.
    After the band left, we went up to their floor to look for souvenirs. The entire floor was TRASHED, the walls were shredded, there was crap and trash and food and booze everywhere, as well as hot chicks wandering around. i think we found some food in either dlr's room or one of the othners, but we'll never know. Dont think i'll ever top it, but being a foot away from ed in the concert last year comes close.
    Last edited by perticelli; 03.20.06 at 07:31 PM.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

One of my first pieces of plastic.

Bringing home many moons ago a 12 inch piece of black plastic and setting down the needle on a track called D.O.A and thinking WHAT THE FUCK !

Life has never been the same

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

At the Green Bay show in 2004 I had a front row seat in the center. I had a sign that said, "Eddie Can I Have Your Autograph?" I pulled out the sign half way through the show during the middle of a song and Eddie saw it. He made eye contact with me, shrugged his shoulders and shouted " I'm kinda busy right now." It was funny because right after he was done shouting he busted into the song's solo.

I didn't get his autograph but at least he acknowledged me. Eddie was telling the truth he did have his hands full.
    \m/ VH \m/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo-House of Pain
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

KEEP 'EM comin'! Awesome memories we all have, huh?
    MTV ruined music!