Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

Default The Allman Brothers thread

I friggin' love this song! There is a live version (I think from the late 90's) with an acoustic guitar dual at the end that is simply amazing .

I found a guitar tab online for Melissa based on an open E tuning, and it sounds way better than when played in standard tuning.

Does anybody else dig this tune as much as I do?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH
    I friggin' love this song! There is a live version (I think from the late 90's) with an acoustic guitar dual at the end that is simply amazing .

I found a guitar tab online for Melissa based on an open E tuning, and it sounds way better than when played in standard tuning.

Crazy....I was just thinking about this tune the other day. I'm a huge Allmans fan but I don't listen to this tune too much because it's been overplayed on classic rock stations. Anyway, I decided to whip this one out when I was out running some errands and it was great, I've forgotten how great this tune is...especially when you crank it up. There's some sweet slide and Bass on this tune.
    M*U*L*E

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to like this song until I fell head over heals for a chick named Melissa but she treated me like crap. Now every time I hear it it makes me think of her. Having said that if she were to call me up I would totally make a fool of myself... again. Love the Allman Brothers though!! have you seen live at the Beacon Theater? if you havent then your missing out! Unbelievable!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome song! I've always enjoyed the variations from either Allman Bros shows or Greg Allman solo. I recorded this tune myself for a solo CD I put out in the early 90's. It turned out pretty good and I still have friends comment on the version I recorded. Flip side of the coin is my wife doesn't dig my version at all. I recorded it a couple of years before I met her, yet she still insists that I am singing for my cousin Melissa. Now my cousin is a great looking lady that I am very close to, but never in an intimate sense. Why my wifey is jealous of Melissa, I'll never know. Strange how that works. That doesn't stop me from playing the tune on my guitar whenever the situation comes up for a nice acoustic sing-a-long. Heh, heh, heh....

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Do you have a link for the open "E" tab? I'd love to see it...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed shred
    I used to like this song until I fell head over heals for a chick named Melissa but she treated me like crap. Now every time I hear it it makes me think of her. Having said that if she were to call me up I would totally make a fool of myself... again. Love the Allman Brothers though!! have you seen live at the Beacon Theater? if you havent then your missing out! Unbelievable!!!!!!
    Glad to see a few fellow ABB fans on this site. Melissa is but one "gem" the ABB rip it up on. I've seen the ABB more than any other band. Usually see one or two shows per year. I'm making my first trip to the Beacon next Saturday night (3/25). As I've mentioned in here before, for ABB fans, it's like making the pilgrimage to Mecca. For those of you who don't know, the ABB currently have a line-up which is arguably one of their greatest. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks holding down the guitar duties, and along with Warren writing with Gregg along with producing the last studio release ("Hitting the Note," [2003]) they've really been playing great shows. If "Melissa" captivates you, try picking up "Live at the Fillmore" box set. The "Dreams" box set is also great as well. Nearly all the members of the ABB have side-projects which are great bands as well. Warrens' "Government Mule," which I know Rod Dangle is a big fan of (along with myself), "The Derek Trucks Band," "Oteil and the Peacemakers," and many more. The phenominal thing is, the original members are in their late 50's and early 60's, tour every spring, summer and fall, and play 3-3 1/2 hour shows. They truly are amazing! Anytime you have a chance to see the ABB, definately do so!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

It reminds me of a brunette bar maid who resembled an ex-girlfriend of mine.
    Cool chick heck of a lot of make up,back on subject great song.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I love the song too, but it was sad to see it on a car commercial. I think that's what it was, might've been a commercial for something else.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chain
    Glad to see a few fellow ABB fans on this site. Melissa is but one "gem" the ABB rip it up on. I've seen the ABB more than any other band. Usually see one or two shows per year. I'm making my first trip to the Beacon next Saturday night (3/25). As I've mentioned in here before, for ABB fans, it's like making the pilgrimage to Mecca. For those of you who don't know, the ABB currently have a line-up which is arguably one of their greatest. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks holding down the guitar duties, and along with Warren writing with Gregg along with producing the last studio release ("Hitting the Note," [2003]) they've really been playing great shows. If "Melissa" captivates you, try picking up "Live at the Fillmore" box set. The "Dreams" box set is also great as well. Nearly all the members of the ABB have side-projects which are great bands as well. Warrens' "Government Mule," which I know Rod Dangle is a big fan of (along with myself), "The Derek Trucks Band," "Oteil and the Peacemakers," and many more. The phenominal thing is, the original members are in their late 50's and early 60's, tour every spring, summer and fall, and play 3-3 1/2 hour shows. They truly are amazing! Anytime you have a chance to see the ABB, definately do so!
    Peach On Brother!
    Last edited by Rod Dangle; 03.19.06 at 05:38 PM.
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Default where's my mule?

Quote Originally Posted by chain
    Warrens' "Government Mule," which I know Rod Dangle is a big fan of (along with myself),
    Mule just finished recording thier new album, produced by Gordie Johnson from Big Sugar. I heard a couple of small clips, sounds like it's going to blow Deja Voodoo out of the water.
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar
    Do you have a link for the open "E" tab? I'd love to see it...
    Here you go. I don't think this is 100% accurate, but it's pretty good.

http://www.tabcrawler.com/archive.ph...5029ff3015eee1
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

it aint the same as when berry oakley and duane were alive. melissa is good. but still the first two albums and the fillmore are insane. if you guys want to check out amazing original lineup allmans grab the band live at the atlanta pop festiva in 1970. 2 amazing sets, 30 minute mountain jam with johnny winter. need i say more?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dangle
    Mule just finished recording thier new album, produced by Gordie Johnson from Big Sugar. I heard a couple of small clips, sounds like it's going to blow Deja Voodoo out of the water.
    Yeah, Rod, I can't wait....I've heard an Early August release date. To damn long to wait. Where have you heard the small clips? I'm seeing 'Mule April 30th at the Stanley Theatre in Utica, NY...Kind of cool as the first time I saw 'Mule was in Utica back in 1995 on their first tour. I stood two feet from Warren outside the small club they played at but didn't have the balls to talk with him. As you and I have mentioned in the past, Warren is the kind of producer who could really do some cool things with an Eddie solo album. I don't think he's particularly a fan of VH, but it would be neat to see what he could do with Eddie. Just a fantasy I have.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan
    it aint the same as when berry oakley and duane were alive. melissa is good. but still the first two albums and the fillmore are insane. if you guys want to check out amazing original lineup allmans grab the band live at the atlanta pop festiva in 1970. 2 amazing sets, 30 minute mountain jam with johnny winter. need i say more?
    Rev, I agree, Duane, Dicky, and Barry were the best line-up....But I've seen the brothers may times over the past 15 years or so (never saw the original line-up, I'm only 36 years old), and I think the combination of Warren, Derek and Oteil is the best I've seen. I do miss Dickey at times, but I think the band is in a better place without his issues to deal with. And "Hitting the Note" is a great album.....Something I think Warren really deserves a lot of credit for. Rumour has it that the ABB will be working on a new album soon, with Gregg and Warren co-writing again.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Default Allmans Going Above & Beyond At Beacon Run

from www.billboard.com:

Wes Orshoski, N.Y.

While fans of the Allman Brothers Band have long treasured its annual residency at New York's Beacon Theatre, they might remember this year's stand as the best yet.

Since opening the 14-night stand on March 9 with an appearance by longtime Howlin' Wolf guitarist Hubert Sumlin, the Allmans have welcomed a parade of guests, including Taj Mahal, Ben Harper, Mountain's Leslie West, Susan Tedeschi, former ABB/current Rolling Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell and jazzman Bernard Purdie.

On March 13, exactly 35 years after the recording of the band's legendary album "At Fillmore East," the Allmans upped the ante and performed the set in its entirety.

"Christ, did that kick my ass," drummer Butch Trucks tells Billboard.com with a chuckle. "We played the whole 'Fillmore East' album for the first set and then came back in the second set and really jammed. We went back and listened to the album and realized that some of the songs had morphed into something else. So we tried to be a little bit more true to the record on songs like 'You Don't Love Me.'"

Mixing in both ABB staples with obscure album tracks and such choice covers as the Band's "The Weight," Derek and the Dominos' "Anyday" and Wolf's "Smokestack Lightin'," this year's run has impressed even the Allmans.

"I don't know what happened," Trucks says, "but last Saturday night, [drummer] Roy Haynes got up and sat in with us, and all of a sudden, everything jumped up four of five notches, and hasn't come down since. This past week has been the most incredible week of music that I've ever been through. I mean, I've had nights where it's just been unbelievable, but I've never been through an extended period of time like this. Everything we try works."

With this year's stand continuing through Sunday (March 26), Trucks promises still more surprises, but is tight-lipped with specifics. He did quell rumors about a guest appearance from Eric Clapton, with whom his nephew and ABB guitarist Derek Trucks has recently been collaborating.

"On Saturday and Sunday, a very special guest is gonna be there," he says. "We're gonna finish this off with a bang. He's a friend that goes way back. He was one of [late band founder] Duane Allman's close personal friends."