Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Martin Dxk2....laminate guitars??

I just bought the Martin Dxk2. It is an all laminate guitar...hell I'm not even sure if the bracing on the inside is actually real wood. I know this would bother some people to no end, hell, some would even scoff at the thing. However, after owning it a few days, I really, outright love this thing....great looks, great playability, great sound....and it is a Martin...is there any other reason to buy a guitar?? My question is, has anyone heard of any long term downsides to these laminate guitars?? I paid $450 for it, and if it is not going to last like a wood guitar, then it might go back. It doesn't bother me that it is not real wood, but...will it stand the test of time?? Thanks!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Nice looking Guitar for sure!
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind
    I just bought the Martin Dxk2. It is an all laminate guitar...hell I'm not even sure if the bracing on the inside is actually real wood. I know this would bother some people to no end, hell, some would even scoff at the thing. However, after owning it a few days, I really, outright love this thing....great looks, great playability, great sound....and it is a Martin...is there any other reason to buy a guitar?? My question is, has anyone heard of any long term downsides to these laminate guitars?? I paid $450 for it, and if it is not going to last like a wood guitar, then it might go back. It doesn't bother me that it is not real wood, but...will it stand the test of time?? Thanks!!
    I think I played one of those at Guitar Center, if that is the one I am thinking of I thought it was a very nice sounding well built guitar.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that laminate guitars are actually a little less fussy when it comes to humidty and temperature changes, so I would think that it will last just fine.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

never liked anything by martin, even the most expensive models --- waaaaay too much bass.

most martin models have so much bass they dont play they breathe.

try a larrive guitar sometime, they do have models with that martin bass sound (unfortunately, i can't stand this sound), but they do have models with a much more balanced tonal range as well.

can get pricey, but anyway, fun to play.

just some ideas.

anyone else have fav acoustic models brands?
    Last edited by lil'devil; 03.19.06 at 08:30 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

I have liked just about every Taylor that I have picked up. They are a bit pricey, but play so smoothly that I will have one eventually. I thought the Martin DX that I played was nice, but something about it didn't work for me. If I remember correctly, isn't the DX series completely composite material with the exception of the top?