Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.10.09 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Help me decide on a travel guitar

I need some advice and was hoping you guys have some experience with the following models. I need/want a compact electric guitar that I can leave at work to practice (either unplugged or through my Korg Pandora) and possibly take on weekend trips. My budget is $500 tops (any more and I'd have to keep it home which defeats the purpose). I want something that is built to last but cheap enough that it wouldn't hurt too bad if it got dinged up or stolen.

I've narrowed it down to 2 guitars (let me know if you reccommend any others):

Hohner G3T----resembles a Steinberger GL model and has a regular Steinberger-licensed trem. They are built in Korea (supposedly in the same factory as the Steinberger Spirit) I've read the Harmony Central reviews (they're older) and know this isn't even close to a GL, but it is 30" long and looks to be pretty solid. I assume you could always put in active EMG's later on (is there room for a battery?).

Traveler Guitar Speedster----originally made in Redlands, CA of Fender-made parts, but now made in China in a Fender factory. 28" long with a dual rail humbucker. It's solid maple like the Hohner but has 14:1 ratio tuners and uses regular guitar strings.

I prefer brand new and have already locked in a low price on both units at a major retail store. The Hohner would cost me a little more.

Thanks

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd go w/ the Hohner. I bought a Steinberger Spirit GT when musicyo.com first came online years ago. Its been through a fair amount of traveling. I like it because its a normal scale.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I have the Hohner G3T and I love it. I purchased it new in 1998 for around $400 and replaced the stock pickups with DiMarzios. It's super solid and has the standard 25 1/2" scale and plays fast. The optional gig bag is kinda flimsy, but it doesn't take up much room in an airplane's overhead compartment.

I had a 100% travel job back then for a couple of years and this guitar has been with me through just about every major U.S. airport. It's nice and small and easy to "carry on". I have never regretted purchasing it and I still use it a lot in my home studio.

But you might want to change the pickups. I'm not a big fan of EMG Selects.

By the way - two funny stories about this guitar. First, I once left it outside of Dulles airport (DC) leaning against a wall while I was waiting for a cab - totally forgot it. Called the airport from my next city and security had found it. They said they had almost called the bomb squad to x-ray it before blowing it up, but one of them recognized it as a guitar gig bag. And this was before 9/11.

The other time was when the plane I was on landed in Los Angeles and you know how the flight attendant says "be careful opening the overhead bins as items may have shifted during the flight"? Well, my solid neck-through maple Hohner "shifted" and fell out as soon as some old dude opened the compartment and bonked him on the head. My guitar was fine, but that guy was dazed! It was pretty funny. I bet he opens those compartment doors a little more carefully now.

And oh yeah, be ready for the "is that a rifle in there?" comments from people waiting at your gate. I've gotten a lot of weird looks walking around with my Hohner "rifle case".

And there's no room for a 9-volt in my Hohner's cavity. You'd have to get the router out to put in EMGs. But that's why God made Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios and other awesome passive pickups.

Just my opinions. Good luck.
    Last edited by smithtone; 03.18.06 at 05:12 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Smithtone, so the trem is pretty good? No issues w/ quality control on your axe? Also, what Dimarzios did you get? I like my Luke's EMG's that's why I asked about active pickups, but an Evo or SD hot pickup would be welcomed just to get a variety of tones from all my guitars.

A few more questions:
    1. Do you use double ball strings? If so what brand and gauge. Have you tried the regular string adapter?

2. Does the headstock(less) end look pretty solid?

3. What is the height, width, and weight?

4. Does the chord interfere with your leg when the leg rest bar is engaged?

5. Do you find the 3 toggle switch system and coil tap feature to be useful?

6. Any differences between your 1998 model and the newer ones?

Thanks again. I might have more questions but I appreciate your take on this issue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by glockaxis
    Thanks guys.

Smithtone, so the trem is pretty good? No issues w/ quality control on your axe? Also, what Dimarzios did you get? I like my Luke's EMG's that's why I asked about active pickups, but an Evo or SD hot pickup would be welcomed just to get a variety of tones from all my guitars.

A few more questions:
    1. Do you use double ball strings? If so what brand and gauge. Have you tried the regular string adapter?

2. Does the headstock(less) end look pretty solid?

3. What is the height, width, and weight?

4. Does the chord interfere with your leg when the leg rest bar is engaged?

5. Do you find the 3 toggle switch system and coil tap feature to be useful?

6. Any differences between your 1998 model and the newer ones?

Thanks again. I might have more questions but I appreciate your take on this issue.

The tremolo is cool because you can lock it real easy to be a fixed bridge. But I really like the trem - it's the only trem you can pull up on without the guitar going way out of tune.

No quality control issues with my Hohner G3T.

The G3T is set up for S-S-H. I took out everything (replaced the pots and switches, too) and put in a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck and a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge. I love the Norton - awesome pickup! In fact, about a year ago, I took the Norton out for another guitar and dropped in a DiMarzio DropSonic in the Hohner. Good tone. Anway, I left the middle SC route open - nothing is in there. I have two on/off mini switches and a normal volume/tone set up. I like EMGs, too, but it would require removing some wood in the cavity to get a 9-volt in there.

1 - I use D'Addario SXL-120 (9-42) double-ball strings. Super easy to change strings. Haven't tried an adapter. Trust me, Ned Steinberger was on to something with the double-ball strings.

2 - The headstock end is solid. I've had this guitar for 8 years and haven't had to replace anything.

3 - The guitar is 30" long and 1 5/8" wide. Weight? Don't have a scale, but it's solid maple and it's not surprisingly light, if that makes sense. If you walk up to it and know it's solid maple, it weighs about what you'd expect.

4 - Never had a problem with the jack placement. And the pop-out, leg-rest thing makes sitting down and playing it OK. Without that, it's be impossible to play sitting down. Another cool Steinberger invention.

5 - Didn't care for the original pickups and guts. Thought it was cheap and I'm not super big on coil-splitting. I only play in my studio and I have a few guitars, so I grab a different instrument to get a different tone. So anyway, I ripped everything out and basically went with a two-humbucker, two on/off switch set up. I'm kinda big into electronics and getting rid of "stock" pickups.

6 - You know, I haven't seen or played a new Hohner model since then. I was living in San Diego in 1998 and the store I bought it from had to order the thing for me. It seems like not a lot of retailers stock these Hohners.

Last edited by smithtone; 03.19.06 at 07:07 AM.

Last Online

01.31.16 @ 03:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got the Steinberger GT-Pro for traveling...sales...I'm sure a few out their know the routine! Anyway, was very skeptical buying online (MusicYo) as I am one (like most) to have to play around with it forever before buying. This turned out to be quite the pleasant surprise. Other than the usual out of the box setup, this thing is rock solid. It is a H-S-S with their "R Trem" (check out their website under "setups" for mor details) Though I will be getting around to swapping out the pickups, I am very happy with this puppy and its intended purpose...travel axe.

Like I mentioned, this thing is rock solid...airports, hotels, cars (-2F - 90F; I live in Buffalo for christ's sake!) and have yet to have any issues.

As for some of your questions: D'Addario XL 10's, cord does not get in the way, 30" long/8" width at bottom, these have a Strat style 5-way toggle vs the 3 toggle switch coil tap Hohner you are leaning towards, and the headstock is solid.

I was looking for an inexpensive travel axe and this exceeded my expectations. I like quality instruments and am open-minded yet very particular. In other words I would let you know if this was a complete piece of shit!!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks again. So both GT-Pro and Hohner G3t both have the R-trem? Any ideas why the Hohner retails for about $200 more? People have said that the Hohner is a better quality instrument but it seems like they are about even. I think they are even built in the same Korean factory. Musicyo's site only has the lefty version of the Gt-Pro available right now and only in a Hum-single-Hum configuration. I prefer the Hum-single-single.

Are the volume knobs on both located in the exact same spot? Does it get in the way and bug you guys?

Last Online

01.31.16 @ 03:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glockaxis
    Thanks again. So both GT-Pro and Hohner G3t both have the R-trem? Any ideas why the Hohner retails for about $200 more? People have said that the Hohner is a better quality instrument but it seems like they are about even. I think they are even built in the same Korean factory. Musicyo's site only has the lefty version of the Gt-Pro available right now and only in a Hum-single-Hum configuration. I prefer the Hum-single-single.

Are the volume knobs on both located in the exact same spot? Does it get in the way and bug you guys?
    Based on not having the facts (an assumption if you will) I would imagine MusiYo moves a hell of alot more merchandise than Hohner, hence being able to tolerate lower margins and maintain a competitive advantage. Let's face it, we all want to make money, and like it or not, MusicYo does a good job marketing their brands. They also have name recognition working in their favor. Flame me if I am wrong, but Steinberger probably comes to mind before Hohner for these liitle pups? Also, with little effort you will find out that MusicYo is Gibson's (name recognition again!) pet project on the internet.....the list goes on. In any event, being able to move this kind of quantity allows for them to sell at lower costs (quantity discounts with vendors, better shipping rates w/FedEx, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah!!!!)

Anyway, for what really matters, volume knobs only seem to get in the way a bit when palm muting.

Good Luck!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MBMM
    Based on not having the facts (an assumption if you will) I would imagine MusiYo moves a hell of alot more merchandise than Hohner, hence being able to tolerate lower margins and maintain a competitive advantage. Let's face it, we all want to make money, and like it or not, MusicYo does a good job marketing their brands. They also have name recognition working in their favor. Flame me if I am wrong, but Steinberger probably comes to mind before Hohner for these liitle pups? Also, with little effort you will find out that MusicYo is Gibson's (name recognition again!) pet project on the internet.....the list goes on. In any event, being able to move this kind of quantity allows for them to sell at lower costs (quantity discounts with vendors, better shipping rates w/FedEx, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah!!!!)

Anyway, for what really matters, volume knobs only seem to get in the way a bit when palm muting.

Good Luck!!!

I totally agree. Had there been a MusicYo back in early 1998, I would have gone in that direction. I'd rather have the name 'Steinberger' on a guitar than 'Hohner'. And I'm sure the current Steinberger is just as good, if not better, than the Hohner. But as MBMM pointed out, you may want to replace the pickups/electronics no matter which one you get.

LOL - And yes, the width on the Hohner is 8"... I thought you meant body thickness. Sorry about that!

And I have no problems with either the volume or tone knob location.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I ordered a Hohner G3T. I got a price match from MF for 449.00 but found a blowout sale on Ed Roman's site for 269.00. I emailed Ed's site to MF and am awaiting their response to se if they'll do the 269.00. If so, I'll be stoked at such a bargain.
    Last edited by glockaxis; 03.21.06 at 03:14 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update:

MF won't honor clearance sale items but I'm still sticking w/ MF price, as it's still decent. I don't think I'd buy anything from Ed anyway especially if you factor in all those surcharges he adds plus his return policy that always has a catch to it.