Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crazy week - Unsolicited Job opportunities - Need objective advice!

Boy, when it rains it poors. I had two unsolicited job opportunities this week out of the clear blue sky and I am just not sure what to do to be honest.

First and foremost, I need to make it clear that I LOVE my current job and I let everyone know it. I work for a City in the water distribution and wastewater collection department. I am the one usually in the ditch doing what needs done and I "dig it" pun intended. I am odd because I do like to work. OK enough of that.

One night the first of the week I get a visit from a county cop at our shop during break no less and he comes in and announces "The mayor of "townsville" would really like for you to give him a call, he wants to talk to you about being the new City Manager. Boy was that awkward with the boss and 9 other guys sitting at the break table, but alas, they only gave me HELL the rest of the week. No biggie, I am usually the kidder of the group so I handled it well.

#1. Ok so I get a call from the mayer of "townsville" and he starts really laying the perks on thick, remember, I am not too sure why he is offering me the job, BUT I am interested. Pays way too well for me, but hey. So anyhow, that is job prospect #1. I told him if he gets completely serious, we will have to meet and go over many many details. He said he will be calling back here in the near future.

#2. My wife is a teacher at the H/S here in town and well liked and known. This is both of our hometowns. Small town of about 1400. The computer coordinator for the district comes in and interrupts her during class and calls her to the hall to ask her if I would be interested in a computer technician job. Hey, I am pretty decent with computers. I don't have much education in them, but I am one of these that was around when DOS turned to 3.1 and then 3.11 and 95, 98, NT on and on. I always had spare computers around that I played with and configured constantly over and over. More of a hobby, but I can get around a PC quite well. Macs not so well, but they say they are easy to learn and maintain. Fair enough. I bet I could learn. That job pays quite well as well.

I really like my current job and would some day like to be City Manager here. I am on the park board, the tree board, and the city zoning board here. I volunteer many hours working on the park and that sort of stuff and love doing it. I get paid well, no complaints. Both other jobs do pay significantly more. Just a mere 3 years ago, I was wrongfully booted from a job and was thankful to get this one.

I would appreciate honest and objective points of view.
    Thanks guys (and gals) :-)
    Last edited by Executionor; 03.17.06 at 01:44 PM.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude...I'd jump on that City Manager job like a it was a supermodel hooker on freebie friday. You said yourself you would like to do it some day, why not now? You want to do the job. It pays more and looks great on a resume. I say take that one.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Junior. I am awfully tempted to take the City Manager job. I just have to sit down with the mayor and get details details details. Any which way I go is a big step for me and I am pretty stable right now so it is a difficult decision. Having 3 youngens makes it hard to rock the boat so to speak.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    looks great on a resume.
    If you ever decide to move, you cant buy that kind of credibility.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Whatever you decide to do keep one thing in mind. Choose the position that will allow you to work smarter not harder. As I have aged professionally and physically, I contstantly remind myself of the importance of balance in both aspects of my life. Don't pigeonhole yourself in something that takes up all of your waking moments. Choose the path that allows you time away from the cell, blackberry, computer etc.. etc..

Damn I am filling philosophical this morning. Anymore questions?
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen