Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default The end of Roth's Show?

From today's Boston Herald:

Home > News & Opinion > Local / Regional News > RSS Feed

Static gets louder as Roth snubs Hub
    By Jessica Heslam
    Thursday, March 16, 2006 - Updated: 11:02 AM EST

[E-mail article to a friend] E-mail article [View text Version] View text version [View Most Popular] View most popular
    David Lee Roth’s radio days are numbered. Critics pan him. His ratings are horrendous. He’s difficult to work with and on air he’s dared his CBS bosses to fire him.
    And the list goes on.
    Roth - who replaced shock jock Howard Stern on the East Coast in January - snubbed the Hub.
    The former Van Halen rocker was scheduled to do his morning show live at Boston’s WBCN today and tomorrow but cancelled last minute, citing “scheduling conflicts.”

“It’s a matter of waiting for the blow up. He’s really interesting, but so far that hasn’t translated into a compelling radio show,” said Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio.
    “I don’t think David’s having a good time,” Taylor said. “Radio is a lot harder to do than it sounds.”
    Despite a big billboard and bus marketing blitz, WBCN has lost about 100,000 listeners from December to January when Roth took over. The station’s morning ratings dropped to 12th place from first.
    The ratings for Stern’s West Coast replacement, comedian Adam Carolla, were even worse.
    If Roth can’t come close to replacing Stern - who left CBS for Sirius Satellite Radio - who can?
    Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers magazine, said there are two obvious choices: syndicated talk jock Mancow Muller or former WAAF duo Opie & Anthony, who have an XM Satellite Radio show and were rumored to be in talks with CBS.
    “Somebody is going to replace David Lee Roth,” Harrison said. “Radio people do much better on radio than non-radio people.”
    Don Kelley, programming vice president for Greater Media’s five Boston stations, said WBCN could always return to playing music.
    “People have given it a try and they’re not liking it,” Kelley said of Roth. “All you hear are stories about how he doesn’t want any input. That’s not the way to win.”
    A CBS spokeswoman said there’s no truth to the rumor that Opie & Anthony are replacing Roth, who has turned down recent interview requests by the Herald because of “scheduling conflicts.”

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

“People have given it a try and they’re not liking it,” Kelley said of Roth. “All you hear are stories about how he doesn’t want any input. That’s not the way to win.”

This is what I've been saying all along. He's gotta work with people here, not just do whatever he wants. This is whay a reunion has failed repeatedly folks.

His days are indeed numbered.

On the other hand, if they're looking for a Stern "replacement" (whatever that means) good luck. Everybody is different and even that boring mancow freako won't live up to expectations.

CBS should face reality here. It's going to take time to create a following of listeners. It may eventually happen, it may not ever happen. But one thing is for sure: David won't compromise and the show as we know it is near the end.
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

One current morning show host at 99x in Atlanta and two former 99x personalities are shopping a morning show around. It could start as early as Monday morning. Insiders say the show will be in Boston. They did do a 3 day test a few weeks ago on the Free FM station in Phoenix but they maintain that does not mean their show will be on a Free FM or CBS station. Any specualtion of where a new morning show could be headed if Boston is the place. DLR being replaced seems the obvious choice.

- and, after he gets fired, he can go on Howard 100 and host a one hour Friday afternoon Rock-n-Roll Show - which is he perfectly suited for, as opposed to 4 hours of ... whatever the hell he is doing now.

BTW: Can't we have just one fucking "Roth Radio" thread??
    Last edited by voivod; 03.16.06 at 01:09 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    - and, after he gets fired, he can go on Howard 100 and host a one hour Friday afternoon Rock-n-Roll Show - which is he perfectly suited for, as opposed to 4 hours of ... whatever the hell he is doing now.

BTW: Can't we have just one fucking "Roth Radio" thread??
    My guess would be Stern's buddy Dee Snider would get that Rock-n-Roll show (if it were to come happen at all)

But then again, if CBS screws Dave, I could see Stern picking up Roth just to spite CBS.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

Mancow or O&A, boy that's going to make for a scintillating replacement for Dave.

I'd just go back to music if those were my choices. I'd rather hear Dave.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

His show isn't exactly prime for the morning drive slot, but man, I don't think anyone could have done much better.

I use to be an O&A junkie(syndication now!) But with the state of radio considering the FCC, those boys will have no luck as well. My guess will be Kidd Chris out of Philly. Mancow is terrible.

Dave is the winner since I believe his contract was guarenteed...I hope B Young got taken care of as well.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by the_atomic_punks_rule
    His show isn't exactly prime for the morning drive slot, but man, I don't think anyone could have done much better.

I use to be an O&A junkie(syndication now!) But with the state of radio considering the FCC, those boys will have no luck as well. My guess will be Kidd Chris out of Philly. Mancow is terrible.

Dave is the winner since I believe his contract was guarenteed...I hope B Young got taken care of as well.
    Opie said as recently as today, that basically if they went back to commercial radio, it would be on their terms. They don't want to sacrifice the "sanctity" of the show for censors. It should be interesting to say the least.

Jesus they could dig up the Charles Laquidara and he would do a better job.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

I think Roth's show keeps getting better and better.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

How bout them 2 dorks from North Dakota or whatever? Those guys just 'scream' major league radio. I mean anybody that can get EVH to talk...
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most anyone with experience as a morning drive host would do better. It isn't Dave's fault he just doesn't have experience doing radio or a morning show. It is a profession and craft. Like any job it can take years to climb to the top of your field. To think Dave can do it because he has Davisms is only an idea CBS could come up with.

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I don't know. Of course they're going to lose the listeners. Those were loyal fans to Howard Stern and now they're gone. If they couldn't forsee that, then they're IDIOTS. Anyway, I listen to Dave's show daily on WBCN in Boston and it's not that bad. It's one of those things that you have to get used to. I think people are comparing him to Howard and you can't do that. Those who followed Howard and are too cheap to buy the satellite radio, shouldn't be complaining because they now have to listen to Dave.

Back in the early 90's, we had a local D.J. named Carolyn Fox on 94-WHJY in Providence Rhode Island. Her and her sidekick Rudy Cheeks were hilarious and very popular in this area. When she left, we got Paul and Al to replace them. Man, I thought they sucked at first. After the period of mourning was over, I began to like them and for years, they're all that I would listen to in the morning. Ya know what? They're still here and they're doing well!

I've recently stopped listening to them because of the new Dave thing, but if his show doesn't cut if for me anymore, I'll switch right back.
    Last edited by HissingCobra; 03.16.06 at 02:59 PM.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AVH Blues
    Most anyone with experience as a morning drive host would do better. It isn't Dave's fault he just doesn't have experience doing radio or a morning show. It is a profession and craft. Like any job it can take years to climb to the top of your field. To think Dave can do it because he has Davisms is only an idea CBS could come up with.
    Have you heard morning drive around the country....it's all terrible bits...the Bizarro files, wacky news, one guy on the team that thinks he's funny and the other dude and chic laugh....at least dave's content is decent...just not at 6am...yes his supporting cast sucks and at times fall into exactly what i am talking about......hell they don't even know when to laugh, yes he is funny occasionally!

You can't be funny on TV or radio anymore, it just isn't possible.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

You can't be funny on TV or radio anymore, it just isn't possible.
    Obviously you've never seen Arrested Development. Or The Simpsons. Or Family Guy. Or Scrubs.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Obviously you've never seen Arrested Development. Or The Simpsons. Or Family Guy. Or Scrubs.
    Oh shut up Squalen.

Just thought I'd do that for old times sake. lol

What's up man?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ou812max
    Oh shut up Squalen.

Just thought I'd do that for old times sake. lol

What's up man?

Bite me, you hick.

Not much is up at all. Think CBS is really gonna fire Dave, or is it a ratings stunt? Or is Dave looking to take the money and run? I mean, he had to know what he was getting into, in terms of FCC censure and public domain and free speech and creative control and all that corporate media horseshit.

I just wonder if Dave's really surprised by the suits' input, or if it's some kind of ploy.