Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Cash-strapped airline looks to tax legroom next

Cash-strapped airline looks to tax legroom next
    Revenue-hungry Northwest Airlines to charge for aisle seats; analysts say more nickel-and-diming to come.
    March 14, 2006: 3:42 PM EST

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Struggling airlines, looking for new ways to generate revenue, are getting bolder about charging for pretty much anything that makes air travel a little more comfortable -- including aisle seats.

First came charging passengers for in-flight meals. Then, reservations done by phone cost extra. And now, one major airline, Northwest, is trying to charge passengers for the right to sit in aisle seats and emergency-exit rows.

The day is coming when carriers will require special fees even to check a bag, experts say.

Analysts told Reuters that travelers should brace for more nickel and diming as airlines seek to recoup losses from soaring fuel costs and competitive pressures. Airlines are likely to test passengers' willingness to pay for an ever wider array of services.

"We're just scratching the surface. I think 2006 is going to bring a tremendous amount of changes," said Terry Trippler, an analyst with travel Web site Cheapseats.com.

"I think it's going to be the difference between a black bottom line and a red one," he said.

Bankrupt Northwest this week unveiled a program called Coach Choice in which the carrier will save some preferred coach seating on the aisle or emergency-exit rows until check-in. Passengers can pay $15 per flight to sit in those seats, which may offer more room.

Airlines have been weakened by rising fuel prices and low-fare competition that keeps ticket prices low. In recent years, carriers have been trying to cut costs by eliminating expendable services and perks. AMR Corp's (Research) American Airlines and Delta Air Lines last year eliminated pillows on domestic flights.

"It's certainly a trend. I expect to see more of it," said Morningstar equity analyst Chris Lozier. "I had never even considered the possibility of charging for aisle seats. It's definitely being taken to extremes at this point."

Lozier said airlines must be careful when implementing programs like Northwest's. Carriers run the risk of alienating customers if they charge for services or seats that do not have special fees attached at other airlines.

Most carriers have cut meal service on shorter flights in the coach section. Many have begun charging for food, drinks and entertainment that used to be free.

Other airlines also have creative upgrade programs, such as UAL Corp's (Research) United Airlines, which in 2005 started allowing passengers to pay a fee to upgrade to unsold seats in a better section of the plane at the time of check in.

"Most of our perks are still free," said UAL spokeswoman Robin Urbanski. "We still have free pillows, blankets and headsets."

United expects its Economy Plus program to boost revenue by about $50 million in 2006.

In the fourth quarter, American Airlines boosted revenue on top of regular ticket sales by 22 percent to $360 million. That included charging customers $25 for same-day flight changes.

US Airways Group has said it looks at opportunities to bring in extra money for services passengers value. The trick is to determine which services those are.

"We don't have any immediate plans to charge new fees. But we think it's logical to charge for new services," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing at US Air.

American Eagle, a regional unit of American Airlines, said last week that it has given up trying to charge passengers for soft drinks because passengers were unwilling to pay for them.

A next step -- one that may be controversial -- could be that airlines will start charging for bag checking, said Cheapseats' Trippler.

Generally, airlines do not charge to check bags that weigh 50 pounds or less. Many charge for bags that weigh 51 pounds or more.

The possibilities for special fees are almost limitless, Trippler said. Airlines just need to be creative.

"This is all gravy," he said.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Where the FUCK is my flying car already?!?!?!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

A friend of mine who owns a couple of planes has been trying to talk me into getting one myself. I've been blowing him off, but everytime I hear something like this I start to see his point.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This practice won't last long. Either everyone over 5"10" will fly other airlines, or NW will have a bunch of wrongful death lawsuits from their longer flights where people forced to cram themselves into a tight space with no room to move their legs will die of a blood clot.

Like that NBC reporter who croaked in Iraq after riding around in a cramped military vehicle all day.

I don't believe it should be legal to penalize people for being tall, for Christ's sake. What's next? Charging African Americans for extra headroom if they have a big poofy Afro? Charging women with big tits more because they might rub up against the seat in front of them. How about a bulimic surcharge for anyone who uses the bathroom after an in-flight meal is served?

Corporatism is fucking out of control
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I thought this would seem like peanuts (or would that be pretzels?) to you, FORD, compared to having to buy two seats. Still having to do that?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Default Isnt flying cheap enough right now!

My wife just bought a ticket from Dallas to St. Louis on American roundtrip for $120.00!

If you get your tickets in advance its usually cheaper to Fly than it is to drive. As a result the airlines are losing Billions of dollars. I don't blame them for getting creative when it comes to making $$$.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The fucking wings will be the next to go...just you watch.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't understand why they just don't raise the price of EVERY ticket by $5-
    $15 and just give me the fucking headphones already. Sorry, but when I've
    just paid $500 for a ticket, EVERYTHING should be comped from that point on
    - the movie, the meals, the whole lot. Nickling and diming their captive
    audience is just wrong in principle. Just raise the overall price and quit
    haggling with me on everything.
    Last edited by mistere; 03.14.06 at 09:44 PM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

If this sticks, window-seat lovers like me will get forced out by the aisle-seaters who are too cheap to pay the extra, and then I'll have to pay the extra fee for an aisle seat that I never wanted! Stupid move by a stupid airline...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    If this sticks, window-seat lovers like me will get forced out by the aisle-seaters who are too cheap to pay the extra, and then I'll have to pay the extra fee for an aisle seat that I never wanted! Stupid move by a stupid airline...
    Maybe we can switch seats. I never fly N'west anyway, usually take American because they have more legroom on their planes, even then I usually try to get an aisle or exit row seat. If I did fly N'west, I wouldn't anymore. I think this move may backfire on them and they'll end up losing money in the long run because of it. Stupid right, right.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    "Most of our perks are still free," said UAL spokeswoman Robin Urbanski. "We still have free pillows, blankets and headsets."
    Wow, free pillows! Gee, what wonderful people!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're going to price themselves out of business. People would rather go to an airline where the price is more expensive upfront rather than get nickel and dimed the entire time they deal with your company.

It's all because of fuel prices being so high. As a guy who's afraid of flying, if you need gas money, I'll chip in.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well my next vacation is on very shakey grounds right now.

My hubby saves all his flyer miles so we can go on nice vacations every couple of years. He just turned them in about 3 weeks ago so we could go to Hawaii. We'd leave on our anniversay and stay for 8 days. We'd be there for my birthday too. Well, now it looks like Delta may not be around at all by then. They said if the pilots go on strike, it'll put the airline out of business. I don't know if we'll still be going to Hawaii if that happens. He said maybe we can still go. Freakin' airlines. I just can't sit in the coach seats for that long a flight with my back and neck being as messed up as they are now. Floridia to Hawaii is way too long a flight for me. &*&(&^%$&^*&^ Delta Pilots can't tell me they don't make good money.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Actually, I used to be one (a Delta Pilot) until 9-11. They've taken 50% pay cuts, had their retirement placed in limbo ( it will be taken away) and their medical benefits have been dramatically reduced. And they have to work more to recieve these reduced wages.

Long story short..............the airline INDUSTRY is broke. In 3 years Southwest airlines will be the HIGHEST cost airline in the industry.

But nobody gives a shit as long as ticket prices are low. Then when they are at just about all time lows (cheaper than driving) people bitch when the airlines try to raise fares. Pay more $$$ ride in first and forget about the cattle cars known as coach.

I make more $$$ now as a corporate pilot after 2 years than 12 year Delta pilots...................

PS...........they wont strike...........have fun!
    Last edited by Dr5115; 03.16.06 at 07:27 PM.