Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Triathlons?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Default Triathlons?

Does anyone else plan on doing a triathlon this summer? I've done a few in the past, but haven't done one in seven years. I signed up for one in June, and it's going to slaughter me. I've done this particular race twice in the past, and it's a hilly bike course with a couple of good steep hills on the run, too.

My training sucks. I'm doing about a half-hour a day on the bike and a little more than that running. I'm stuck riding the bike on a stationary trainer, which isn't exactly inspiring.

This is gonna be fun!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How long is each leg of a triathlon?

I'd love to do one, but my hips are way too wonky. I ran for a couple of years (not consecutively, I took breaks! ) just to lose weight, and I enjoyed it, but it killed my body. I'm always trying to talk myself into starting again, but I know I can't.

How do you deal with the time mentally? I always found that if I could get my mind to think through something, I could drift away from thinking about the pounding on the body.

Good for you if you can do this! Especially at your advanced age!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Up until last fall, I ran three miles a day religiously. Feels great, but I could definitely tell it was taking a toll on my knees.

I still run sparingly, but not to that degree.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We'll find out if I can still do them. I haven't done one since 1999. I used to be able to get away with not training for them, but I was in much better shape back then. Now... uffda. I broke a bone in my foot three weeks ago running on ice, and so that's slowed me down a bit. Everything seems to be fine now.

It's what they consider to be an Olympic-length course. A bit over 1/2 mile for the swim, a nice 36 mile bike, and then a 6.2 mile run. The swim always goes by quickly, the bike is probably my favorite part, and the run goes by a Swiss Miss pudding factor--the smell is unbelievably good!

I try not to think too much. Once I start bitching about how awful I feel, I tend to really slow down. It's not that I'm going to place well, but the sooner it's over with, the better.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool Mike. I don't do tri's cuz I am not a strong enough swimmer. My mom has done several - I'm sure she'd be full of training advice for you (she's LazyLizzy). I'm just running these days, and I'll be doing the Chicago Marathon this year, among several halfs. Good luck with your tri
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I competed in a Triathlon a few years back, but it was one where you formed a team of 3 and did a leg of the triathlon each. I did the cycling leg. It was good fun and less stressful than trying to do the whole triathlon yourself. At least you could blame somebody else if you didn't win - our team came 6th out of about 50 teams.

What sort of bike do you have Mike?
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've got a mid-90s Schwinn Paramount. I love it to death, and I've put a lot of miles on it over the years. It's a steel frame with Ultegra STI. I spent way too much getting it torn down and rebuilt last year. I'm hoping to put about 100 miles per week on this summer, but that's largely a question of willpower. If anyone knows where I can buy some, I'd appreciate the tip!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I've got a mid-90s Schwinn Paramount. I love it to death, and I've put a lot of miles on it over the years. It's a steel frame with Ultegra STI. I spent way too much getting it torn down and rebuilt last year. I'm hoping to put about 100 miles per week on this summer, but that's largely a question of willpower. If anyone knows where I can buy some, I'd appreciate the tip!
    You can buy willpower! Pay a registration fee for a race or a tour and remind yourself you paid good money to participate!
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8