Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Iraq War Veteran Shot by Cop Struggling to Walk

Victim in Taped Shooting Struggles to Walk
    Senior Airman Elio Carrion

Friday, March 10, 2006

LOS ANGELES — The 21-year-old Iraq war veteran seen in a video being shot by a sheriff's deputy says in a recorded statement that he has difficulty walking.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion released a videotaped statement through his attorney Thursday, a day after San Bernardino County sheriff's Deputy Ivory J. Webb pleaded not guilty to attempted voluntary manslaughter and was released on $100,000 bail.

"My physical therapy continues to progress and I still have difficulties walking," Carrion says, looking into the video camera. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to speak publicly, but right now I'm focused on my physical therapy and healing."

The tape shows him sitting on a couch next to his wife and moving around with the aid of a walker.

The Jan. 29 shooting was videotaped by a bystander and broadcast on national television. It shows Webb shooting Carrion, who was not armed, in the chest, shoulder and thigh after a brief high-speed chase involving a car in which the airman was a passenger.

Webb, who faces up to 18 1/2 years in prison if convicted, has not spoken publicly about the shooting.

Carrion, who is assigned to a security unit at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, La., has not been charged with a crime.

----------
    5:42 p.m. January 31, 2006

CHINO – A deputy appears in a home video to order a man to his feet, then shoot him as he tries to stand. The man, an Air Force security officer just back from Iraq, was hospitalized Tuesday with wounds to his chest, ribs and leg, relatives said.

The FBI was investigating possible civil rights violations in the shooting, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles. The San Bernardino County district attorney's office also assigned investigators to the case, a Sheriff's Department spokeswoman said.

Amateur photographer Jose Luis Valdez told The Associated Press that he shot the video after the car crashed into a wall in front of his home Sunday night. KTLA-TV aired the videotape early Tuesday, then distributed it later in the day.

In the 40-second video, Carrion appears to be on the ground telling the deputy he was in the military and was unarmed.

After the shooting, Carrion asks the deputy, “Why did you shoot me if you told me to stand up?” Valdez said in a telephone interview conducted in Spanish. That exchange cannot be heard on the video.

The FBI was asked to do a forensic analysis of the tape, sheriff's department spokeswoman Cindy Beavers said, adding the audio is unclear at times and it's difficult to determine who was speaking.

“I think it's critical this videotape is reviewed closely. ... We want to know the exact dialogue among the parties,” Beavers said. “It would be unfair for us to make any kind of judgment now without knowing the facts.”

Law enforcement agencies generally allow officers to use deadly force when they believe it's necessary to prevent death or serious injury to themselves or others, said Tom Griffith, a professor at the University of Southern California Law School who specializes in criminal law. Actions such as fleeing from police are not by themselves justification for using deadly force, said Griffith, who had not seen the videotape.

“One thing we know for sure: a person's wrongful actions ... normally don't justify the use of deadly force,” he said.

The deputy, whose name has not been released, was placed on paid administrative leave, which is routine procedure after officer-involved shootings.

There is some hard-to-hear conversation back and forth, but Carrion appears to be trying to reassure the officer, telling him he is unarmed and in the military. He repeatedly says, “I'm on your side” and adds “we mean you no harm.”

At one point, a voice is heard saying several times, “Get up.”

Carrion says, “I'm gonna get up.” As he rises, the deputy fires at least four shots from close range, and Carrion collapses, crying out in pain.

“Shots fired! Shots fired!” someone shouts.

Witness Joanne Scholten said she saw the deputy yelling obscenities at the airman and ordering him to get out of the car. Shots rang out after he told the man to get up, she said.

“It seemed he lost his cool,” Scholten said of the deputy. “We were confused about why (he) did that.”

No charges have been filed against Carrion. Luis Fernando Escobedo, 21, identified by authorities as the driver of the Corvette, was arrested for investigation of felony evading and was being held at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, Beavers said.

Carrion's 19-year-old wife, Mariela, told reporters her husband came out of surgery Monday and said: “They shot me for no reason.”

She said Carrion and Escobedo were at a party at the home of Carrion's parents when they left to go to the store. Carrion was supposed to have returned Wednesday to his unit, the 2nd Security Forces Squadron, at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, La.

Air Force spokesman Lt. Frank Hartnett said Carrion worked as a security officer at the base. Carrion joined the Air Force in January 2003 and recently returned from a six-month tour in Iraq, Hartnett said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Yeah, that deputy had a itchy trigger finger, for sure. This shooting as been all over the news here, for obvious reasons.........

I think attempted murder/man-slaughter charges are coming down the pipe for this deputy.

Wish the outcome would have been different.

HH <-----BAM, BAM, BAM.......stop or I'll shoot--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Looks pretty clear on the video that the deputy was either very anxious or spooked or whatever.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I could not believe the video when I saw it. I just think the cop was insane on stress and shaking enough to make the trigger fire.

I am a very relaxed person, normally. Today, after I sweating in the yard, and relaxed, I got a voicemail from a support customer going sideways, and though not having had even a beer in a week, my hands were shaking a little listening to this guy flip out (on something that turned out to be a switch he forgot to push).

I can totally see how a gun could go off, if an officer is under stress. I think they should put a little more resistance on those triggers so that the slightest nervous jerk doesn't cause a rapid-fire domino-effect - as I theororize happened in this situation. I do not think it was an execution, but have seen a lot of video lately of erroneous friendly-fire, and think these weapons are a little wee-bit sensitive on the trigger mechanism.

*Disclaimer* - my f^@cking humble opinion

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen
    I think attempted murder/man-slaughter charges are coming down the pipe for this deputy.
    I believe man-slaughter charges have been filed.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I could not believe the video when I saw it. I just think the cop was insane on stress and shaking enough to make the trigger fire.

I am a very relaxed person, normally. Today, after I sweating in the yard, and relaxed, I got a voicemail from a support customer going sideways, and though not having had even a beer in a week, my hands were shaking a little listening to this guy flip out (on something that turned out to be a switch he forgot to push).

I can totally see how a gun could go off, if an officer is under stress. I think they should put a little more resistance on those triggers so that the slightest nervous jerk doesn't cause a rapid-fire domino-effect - as I theororize happened in this situation. I do not think it was an execution, but have seen a lot of video lately of erroneous friendly-fire, and think these weapons are a little wee-bit sensitive on the trigger mechanism.

*Disclaimer* - my f^@cking humble opinion
    Phatie I understand what you are saying and I dont know what the poundage is on a hand gun trigger. I think that may be regulated by the feds or industry.

I can tell you this. As someone that has hunted since the age of 12, I know NOT to put my finger on the trigger until I am ready to shoot. Unless the officer had the intention of shooting, his finger should not have been on the trigger. I have not had a gun go off by accident and I pray that I never do. Shit does happen. I havent seen the video so I shouldnt comment but I felt like adding my two cents.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Gee another senseless shooting at the hands of yet another cop??

This is the first I've heard about this latest shooting.

I thought the police are here to serve and protect.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One