Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Dubai firm giving up plan to control U.S. ports

Sources: House, Senate leaders tell Bush deal appears dead

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A United Arab Emirates-owned company has agreed to turn over all of its operations at U.S. ports to an American "entity," Sen. John Warner said Thursday.

Reading a statement from DP World on the Senate floor, Warner, a Virginia Republican, said the reason is "to preserve" the strong relationship between the UAE and United States.

The announcement comes after congressional leaders reportedly told President Bush that the deal for DP World to assume some operations at six U.S. ports appeared dead on Capitol Hill.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, delivered the news to Bush during a meeting Thursday at the White House, two Republican sources said.

The leaders told the president they would pass measures to block the deal by veto-proof majorities, sources told CNN. Bush had threatened to veto any legislation that stopped the deal.

The UAE firm DP World's purchase of P&O, the British company that manages cargo and passenger terminals at ports on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, has stirred up intense opposition in Washington. (Read a timeline of the ports deal)

House Republicans are openly defying the president, apparently to prevent Democrats from outflanking them on national security and outsourcing issues as elections approach.(Questions about the deal answered)

The issue marks an unusual rift between Bush and House Republicans, who say they have received overwhelmingly negative comments from constituents. (Your e-mails: Should Bush change his mind?)

On Wednesday, the House Appropriations Committee essentially blocked the deal by voting 62-2 to insert an amendment into a $68 billion emergency supplemental funding bill for military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The bill also includes about $19 billion in disaster assistance for the Gulf Coast for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

The measure could come before the full House next week when it is expected to pass by a similar large margin. The committee's approval was bipartisan, with Reps. Jim Moran, D-Virginia, and Jim Kolbe, R-Arizona, casting the only votes against it.

Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-California, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, worked with other GOP leaders to amend the spending bill. (Watch top Republicans rock the boat on the ports deal -- 1:36)

Tensions between Bush, whose approval rating is near an all-time low, and Congress have been growing for some time, and the president's vow to veto the legislation angered many of his congressional allies.

"In politics ... sometimes the passions and the emotions can overwhelm any factual discussion," said John King, CNN's chief national correspondent. (King: Passions, emotions cloud ports debate)
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

so our voices have been heard, eh?

Like i said, it's the Arab part of it..and accurate or not, it IS the predominat feeling in the US. It was funny when in the beginning after 9/11, the govt tried to make it into a Non-islamic, non-arab issue..who were they kidding? Just like Japan will always have an asterisk next to their name in american's minds, so will arabs, like it or not. I say, justifiably so. Fuck em
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

The Washington Post had a story/poll saying that the United States don't really buy into Islam being a peaceful religion. Its worse now then it was after 9-11.

Guess beheading people, violent protests over cartoons and electing terrorist organizations to head your country does not reek of peace.

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    Like i said, it's the Arab part of it..and accurate or not, it IS the predominat feeling in the US. It was funny when in the beginning after 9/11, the govt tried to make it into a Non-islamic, non-arab issue..who were they kidding? Just like Japan will always have an asterisk next to their name in american's minds, so will arabs, like it or not.
    You can't be serious.

People in Japan today can not and should not be looked upon poorly for WWII...that's just ridiculous.

The same can be said for Muslims. Not all of them hate the U.S.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    You can't be serious.

People in Japan today can not and should not be looked upon poorly for WWII...that's just ridiculous.

The same can be said for Muslims. Not all of them hate the U.S.
    im not saying they should be looked at as the enemy..im saying in the back orf americans minds, "japan' has an asterisk next to it..and islam will now, as well as arabs, palestinians, etc.

Just the way it is.Its a psychology thing.

and that isnt saying people walk around thinking "fucking japs"...no, im saying, in the back of their minds there is an asterisk...which is why a firestorm went off when bush mentioned ports and arabs.
    It's all just opinion, ive been wrong before
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

Yes not all Muslims hate Americans but maybe its bad to stereotype.

However you get on a plane and see 3 or 4 arab looking guys sitting next to each other in the back of the plane.

You telling me you don't feel the slightest bit hestitant about your flight?

You telling me that you would feel as safe as if there were 4 old caucasian looking women playing gin rummy?

Japan. Hell I forgive them but talk to the majority of people from the WW2 era. They have not. Its understandable because they felt the effects, just as we have felt the effects of our current situation.

The reason why this deal did not go through was because we did not want an Arab country controlling our ports. Plain and simple. This indirect racism is prevelant enough that the leaders of political correctness, the Democrats were against the port deal.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As usual, I'm in sync with the man:

"... security isn't what bothers me. What I don't understand is why the hell can't we run our ports ourselves? Is it too hard for us? Aren't we smart enough? Sometimes it seems as if we aren't doing any real work ourselves in this Country.

Most of our clothes are made in China. More and more of the cars we drive are built overseas. About all we make in the United States these days is money.

The credit card companies are using people in India to do their customer service business. If you call them with a problem, you get someone who speaks English, sort of, but she's sitting in New Delhi.

Too much of our work is being what they call "outsourced." "Outsourcing" means having it made in another country. What's the matter with doing it in our own country?

Have we lost our ability to do anything for ourselves?

Why don't they outsource The White House, or outsource Congress. Get some really smart people from other countries to run our country for us. A congressman gets $162,000 a year and all he can eat. I'll bet we could get some natives of Dubai to do the same work twice as well for half the price."

Andy Rooney on last weks 60 Minutes.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    As usual, I'm in sync with the man:

"... security isn't what bothers me. What I don't understand is why the hell can't we run our ports ourselves? Is it too hard for us? Aren't we smart enough? Sometimes it seems as if we aren't doing any real work ourselves in this Country.

Most of our clothes are made in China. More and more of the cars we drive are built overseas. About all we make in the United States these days is money.

The credit card companies are using people in India to do their customer service business. If you call them with a problem, you get someone who speaks English, sort of, but she's sitting in New Delhi.

Too much of our work is being what they call "outsourced." "Outsourcing" means having it made in another country. What's the matter with doing it in our own country?

Have we lost our ability to do anything for ourselves?

Why don't they outsource The White House, or outsource Congress. Get some really smart people from other countries to run our country for us. A congressman gets $162,000 a year and all he can eat. I'll bet we could get some natives of Dubai to do the same work twice as well for half the price."

Andy Rooney on last weks 60 Minutes.
    If "the man" were to try a little harder to answer the question instead of asking it, I'm sure he'd find we're our own worst enemy and the cause of outsourcing. Have you tried to start or run a business in this country? Know anybody who has even? The pain, red tape, taxes and massive amounts of bullshit you have to put up with these days, it's no wonder it's less expensive and much less of a pain in the ass to let somebody in fucking India answer the phone.

"The man" Most the time, I just can't stand that idiot.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Yes not all Muslims hate Americans but maybe its bad to stereotype.

However you get on a plane and see 3 or 4 arab looking guys sitting next to each other in the back of the plane.

You telling me you don't feel the slightest bit hestitant about your flight?

You telling me that you would feel as safe as if there were 4 old caucasian looking women playing gin rummy?

Japan. Hell I forgive them but talk to the majority of people from the WW2 era. They have not. Its understandable because they felt the effects, just as we have felt the effects of our current situation.

The reason why this deal did not go through was because we did not want an Arab country controlling our ports. Plain and simple. This indirect racism is prevelant enough that the leaders of political correctness, the Democrats were against the port deal.
    Thats a good point about the flights. I remember being on a two week club tour , and after it ended we had to fly back to Vancouver from Toronto.The return date? Sept 12 2001. Needless to say , we had to stay another 5 days in T.O. until planes got flying again. ANYWAY, when we finally did get one I sat beside four muslim dudes with the little caps on.That was hard, but thats life. We flew a lot that year. You just cant stereotype in a free society or you will go insane. If its your time, its your time. They were probably more afraid than anyone (because of being watched all the time).
    Last edited by pfloyd; 03.09.06 at 05:57 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    They were probably more afraid than anyone (because of being watched all the time).
    Good. They can police their own then. If they feel it isn' fair, they shouldn't look to us but to their own people to change that perception.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    If "the man" were to try a little harder to answer the question instead of asking it, I'm sure he'd find we're our own worst enemy and the cause of outsourcing. Have you tried to start or run a business in this country? Know anybody who has even? The pain, red tape, taxes and massive amounts of bullshit you have to put up with these days, it's no wonder it's less expensive and much less of a pain in the ass to let somebody in fucking India answer the phone.

Thats BRILLIANT! I never realized it, but Andy Rooney IS the epitome of outsourcing.What a whiny old bitch he is. Outsourcing can be eliminated two ways, if Americans suddenly are willing to work for a lot less, or the US govt stops purposely devaluating its own dollar. Neither are on Bush's agenda.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good. They can police their own then. If they feel it isn' fair, they shouldn't look to us but to their own people to change that perception.
    Watch what your saying there,"they", and "us", under the constitution you cant discriminate or deny their rights based on religion. They are as American as you are, in fact, you are less American if you do violate the laws of the constitution.What you feel is one thing, but you cannot actually segregate people based on religion in a free society.
    Last edited by pfloyd; 03.09.06 at 06:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    Watch what your saying there,"they", and "us", under the constitution you cant discriminate or deny their rights based on religion.
    How would I be doing that?

They are as American as you are, in fact, you are less American if you do violate the laws of the constitution.What you feel is one thing, but you cannot actually segregate people based on religion in a free society.
    Sure I can.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"they can police their own, then". Thats called segregation. Its also discrimination. And if I was to push it, its actually racist, but i wont do that.The state police or federal agents arent good enough?
    Last edited by pfloyd; 03.09.06 at 07:32 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's all spread-sheet economics, bottom line is all that counts so better widen those profit margins. Couple that with fewer companies owning more and more and the problem becomes worse. Ford owns Jaguar, Nissan makes cars in Tennessee and Mexico and you have to read the fine print to find out who ultimately owns anything.

In the 40s, 50s and 60s, CEO's knew department heads by first name. New the shift supervisors on the factory floor. This meant that they made smart business decissions based on first-hand knowledge. Today it's rare that a CEO has even been to half of the company's factories orfacilities, so they hire consultants to tell them how to run their business, these consultants come from the outside and get paid no matter how their advice affects the company. Then if the CEO himself turns out to be an incompitent shitbird he still gets a "Golden Parachute" or severance package.
    Then we have the phenomanon of CEOs going from one company to another like Baseball managers, except that they don't know shit about the companies they are hired to head. You can see the impact this bullshit has almost everywhere. As Van Halen fans we've watched Warner Bros go from a music industry powerhouse to a sad shigle blowing in the wind. The people who own AOL/Time/Warner don't know anyhting about music or the music industry. They cut the available catalog of music by two thirds, this means fewer WB titles in the record store with priority given to the Top40 artists. Then they have a hissy-fit when people download music on the internet, they don't realize that some of those people wouldn't be downloading if they could walk into a record store and buy the music they are looking for.
    See, the music industry should have gone to an online download jukebox concept four years ago. That way if I wake up at 2:00am and have an urge to download Perry Como I can get my credit card and catch a falling star. A CEO who understood music and the indusrty could have headed off the Naptster debacle and come out smelling like a rose. Instead they look like nazi-assholes trying to burn books.

In my old line of work, toys, you often saw the same thing. The toy industry has long been plagued by the clash between creative people who don't understand business and business people who aren't creative. This got worse durring the 1990s when big corperations moved into toys and began killing off many long time staples in the toy store.

Example:

1. Frisbees. Whammo was bought by a larger company in the mid-90s and they decided to get creative and ended up almost bankrupting the company. They had spent a couple million on marketing that failed bigtime. I know what you're thinking "Axx, how can you fuck up Frisbees?", well you shouldn't be able to but these clowns did. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to sell Frisbees. You have to $2.00 ones, get them into pet stores. Why? Dogs love Frisbees. Then you get reps and the guys who do tricks with Frisbees to do shows at Lollapalooza, Lillith Fair and anywhere you've got drunk college kids. In that situation you give them away, the kids are drunk and are going to loose them. The next weekend they'll buy new ones. You show up at X-Games and county and state fairs and fly the Frisbee flag.

Not those clowns. They were dumber than a bag of hammers.

Then there's the effect Wal-Mart and other huge chains have had on manufacture and quality of goods availible to Americans. For some reason, companies think it's a good idea to get their products into Wal-Mart. They are seduced by getting their product on store shelves in almost 47 states. The problem is that Wal-Mart is only going to pay so much at the wholesale level, so you've got to cut your production costs. Levi Strause had to lay off 200 workers in the US to move their production to Mexico. The Levis you buy at Wal-Mart aren't as good in quality as the ones you buy at Mervins. Wal-Mart has done this to a number of once great companies. But Wal-Mart didn't start this. Tom Schultz had a big hit with the "Rockman" headphone amp. Guitar Center had carried them for about five years when they came to Schultz and told him that they wanted him to cut his wholesale price per unit, he said no ( I think he also asked if they were going to cut the price to the customer and GC said no). Guitar Center then threatened Schultz that if he didn't comply they would drop the Rockman all together and bring in a knock-off. Schultz stood his ground and Guitar Center kept good on their threat, they dropped his Rockman and brought in a knockoff, which they sold for less that the Rockman. At this time, Guitar Center was almost 40% of Schultz's business.

My point from all of this rambling? There used to be a time when you took pride in your work, pride in putting your fellow citizens to work so that they could then start a family, buy a house and contribute to the country. There used to be a time when making a quality item was a source of pride and prestiege. Today it's all about money and nobody cares where it comes from or where it goes. I can buy an American company and turn around and sell it to a Chines buys who takes the trademark and moves production to China, putting 2000 Americans out of work.

Oh well, not my prolem as long as the check clears...
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300